Every phone RIM has made has some important thing missing which stops it from being from every other phone.

The Curve 8900 is missing 3G, weaker processor than Bold
    The Tour lacks WiFi, weaker processor than Bold
    The Storm lacks WiFi, weaker processor than Bold
    The Bold only has 2.0 MP camera and 128 mb internal app ram.

So i'm having a hard time believing RIM will show the Onyx to be the best in every category etc...

I have a feeling that it will be weaker in some area that isn't known.

Anyone also have a feeling it will disappoint in some area?
    07-10-09 11:36 PM
    It's all a matter of perspective between what is and isn't available on said devices. Additioanlly, there will always be something "better." I don't think RIM will flub anything, but I can guarantee something is out there on the horizon that will make the Onyx seem like a "nerf."

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-09 03:06 AM
    I don't really think the Bold stats you describe are a "nerf", but it's getting slightly older, so compared to newer devices it seems so; as opposed to the deliberate disinclusion of Wi-Fi, for example.
    07-11-09 03:08 AM
    True... But what I meant was,

I don't think RIM will create "one blackberry to rule them all" you know?

Yes those aren't "nerfs" for the Bold, but what I am saying is, with all these devices each missing some integral thing that another has, one device doesn't really rule the rest.

But if everything about the Onyx becomes reality, you have the power of the Bold, the smaller form factor of the curve 8900, the basic internals the same as the Tour and Curve etc... It will be the best of all the blackberry devices by far.

I'm holding judgment on the trackpad. The phones that I have used it on really made it feel like **** so i'm waiting to see how good RIM really made it.
    07-11-09 04:34 AM
    RIM isn't nerfing anything. When the Onyx comes out, it will be the new flagship device. As for the trackpad, I'm loving it more than the trackball, and wished that every BB comes with it now. It feels great on the Gemini and likewise with the Onyx. Will it officially come out with the trackpad, I'm not sure yet.
    07-11-09 06:35 AM
    Every phone RIM has made has some important thing missing which stops it from being from every other phone.

So i'm having a hard time believing RIM will show the Onyx to be the best in every category etc...

So the Onyx will have a better processor than Bold
    It will have WiFi
    and it will have 3.2MP camera.

Not sure yet about the APP RAM but I am hearing from the lab guys that it is higher than Bold.

Generally the CDMA versions of these don't include WiFi. I think that is more of a carrier request than anything else.

It's smaller and lighter than Bold. And to follow the lead of what others have said it will replace the Bold as the flagship device, at least until Magnum arrives....

PG
    07-11-09 12:55 PM
    nah no nerfing going on the iphone upgraded the pre is all new the onyx must be a grand slam for the rim boyz dont worry it will feature everything rim can put under the battery door
    07-11-09 09:40 PM
    if anything's not up to RIM's capabilities, it'll prob be 128 mb of ram. wonder if it'll take the new 32 gb micro sd...?
    07-17-09 04:23 PM
    What does "nerf" mean in english?
    07-17-09 04:37 PM
    "Nerf" means limiting something... The term is gaining prominence anytime a company "holds back" a product to some extent so it doesn't become "too good" if that is ever possible.
    07-17-09 05:28 PM
    Nerf is just a slang term used to denote something that has been intentionally modified or designed in such a way to be weaker or below originally intended specifications. It could also mean that something has been completely removed (like if the Tour was supposed to have WiFi and they took it out, "nerfed it", last minute).

I first learned about the term while playing Diablo II all those years ago. When a new patch came out, players would blame Blizzard for nerfing (the stats of) certain races by lowering them from their pre-patched amount.

... I guess I took too long to write my response.
    07-17-09 05:30 PM
    Nerf is just a slang term used to denote something that has been intentionally modified or designed in such a way to be weaker or below originally intended specifications. It could also mean that something has been completely removed (like if the Tour was supposed to have WiFi and they took it out, "nerfed it", last minute).

I first learned about the term while playing Diablo II all those years ago. When a new patch came out, players would blame Blizzard for nerfing (the stats of) certain races by lowering them from their pre-patched amount.

... I guess I took too long to write my response.
    Agree... gaming really brought the term mainstream sort of like n00b... anytime a company notices a certain weapon is too powerful in game or something, they introduced a patch that literally just took away half it's power etc... Or on hard modes, they just nerf your shots and health, but enemy damage increases etc...
    07-17-09 05:41 PM
    hahahahaha...nerf....havent heard that one since my FFXI days.

Anyways, i doubt they would yank something off the Onyx, as a direct successor to the Bold (which is RIMs flagship even though i think otherwise) it has to atleast have and surpass its current specs
    07-17-09 07:43 PM
    lol 2nd on the nerf ! haven't heard that for ages !
    07-18-09 04:52 PM
    3rd on the Nerf! Just brilliant mate!
    07-18-09 11:11 PM
    The first time I heard nerf was from:

"OMG, the 1.10 (Diablo II) patch nerfed the Barbarian Whirlwind"
    07-20-09 12:35 AM
    The first time I heard nerf was from:

"OMG, the 1.10 (Diablo II) patch nerfed the Barbarian Whirlwind"
    07-20-09 02:16 AM

I hear RIM is nerfing the Q key.
    07-20-09 10:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD