I got a Verizon 9650 online last week and everything is great except my trackpad is flush on the right and tilts down on the left. I have read some threads where people have mentioned this as well. My question is should I even bother going to the vzw store and try to exchange or it it pretty much a waste of time and just how it is?

Anyone have a perfect trackpad?
    06-10-10 11:35 AM
    Mine seems great no tilting at all.
    06-10-10 11:41 AM
    I have a slight tilt, but I don't think it's a big deal. At least it isn't wobbly.
    06-10-10 11:43 AM
    Normal.

So, after some closer examination, I think you will see that unlike a trackball the optical touchpad functions more like any other button - it is "hinged" on the right side. It is not a trackball - different electrical and mechanical design.

Take a pencil with an eraser and press the left side and then the right side. You'll see the action immediately if you look from a sharp angle.
    06-10-10 12:19 PM
    * Hope this helps clear some things up... *

Actually, the track pad just floats inside. The only thing that it's attached to in the inside circuit board via ribbon cable. For what I have seen, there are some different ribbon cable designs. Some cause a "pull" effect on the floating track pad. Yet some ribbons are more relaxed that they allow the track pad to sit flush and not off center.

This does not effect the operation of it @ all... And is seen on other track pad devices.

Also as I mentioned the track pad floats around. The only thing that keeps it from going in to far or falling out in the back plate that screws in the back of the phone. Inside there is a little button which once you depress the track pad this gives the click response. The button is on the back of the track pad.

06-10-10 12:30 PM
    So basically it all comes down to the distance that the ribbon is attached. Too far and it pulls, closer and its ok? I think I'm gonna take the trip to verizon anyway and check out a couple. I will openly admit its not that big of a deal but I'm very ocd about stuff like this. Thanks
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

06-10-10 12:40 PM
    Ok. But I would check the 8530/8520 and even the 9700 forums where users report the same..
    06-10-10 12:44 PM
    i just got my 9650 int he mail this morning and my trackpad seems to be perfectly flush
    06-10-10 12:45 PM
    Man are people really this picky. Do some of you people examine the unit with a micoscope when you get it?
    06-10-10 01:43 PM
    Good stuff. Thanks. But I am sticking to my "hinge" theory, and your images kinda prove my point. You can see those pivot points (two of them) on the left side of the inverted button image. Installed they would be on the right side and function like a "hinge" - although a "pivot point" is probabaly a better description. The button is also off-center on the bottom of the trackpad, closer to the pivot points which would result in a slight upward tilt of the trackpad towards the left away from the pivot point.
    Last edited by PaulM-D; 06-10-10 at 03:08 PM.
    06-10-10 01:49 PM
    Also, the two sets of button images appear to be different designs.
    06-10-10 02:01 PM
    Man are people really this picky. Do some of you people examine the unit with a micoscope when you get it?
    No but I feel that since is now the third device to have the trackpad they should have it figured out by now. Mine is clearly lower on the right side, to both the appearance and to the touch. Seems like is they move the ribbon a 1/16" over or made the ribbon 1/16 longer then they could resolve the problem

06-10-10 02:05 PM
    My Sprint Bold that I got from Best Buy, has a perfectly flat trackpad, no tilt at all.

06-10-10 03:06 PM
    I ordered online on Thursday last week and got a crooked track pad. I went to the VZW store this afternoon and they were nice and switched it out for a new device that is flush.
    06-10-10 04:17 PM
    I got a Verizon 9650 online last week and everything is great except my trackpad is flush on the right and tilts down on the left. I have read some threads where people have mentioned this as well. My question is should I even bother going to the vzw store and try to exchange or it it pretty much a waste of time and just how it is?

Anyone have a perfect trackpad?
    mines exactly opposite. i dont mind tho. its way better than my 8330
    06-10-10 04:37 PM
    Mines perfest, no wobble, no lean, very reponsive-I got lucky I guess
    06-10-10 06:26 PM
    I ordered mine online the day it was released and honestly my trackpad is dang near perfect. I have inspected it, looked over it many times and I can honestly say it is amazing. Sits nice and flush, not loose, and works very well.

I am thrilled with this trackpad after the experiences I had with the 8530 trackpads.
    06-10-10 06:32 PM
    If its higher on the left its a righty track pad, if its higher on the right, then its a lefty track pad
    06-10-10 06:42 PM
    lol mine's higher on the left but i'm a lefty. Seriously though is it really worth the trip to exchange the phone? I love has phone as the next person but IMO it's not that big of a deal.
    06-10-10 07:34 PM
    i didnt even notice the tilt until reading these forums. not a big deal at all. kind of funny people even noticed it to begin with.
    06-10-10 07:40 PM
    Just an update. I went to 2 different stores tonight. Look at 4 display models and they opened up 2 from the back for me. Didn't see 1 that I would say was any better than mine. So I am just gonna stick with the one I have and assume that a perfect one does not exist. On a side note, every curve 8530 I saw had a perfect trackpad. I think it has to do with the send, end, back and menu buttons are part of the screen. The piece on the bold that has the cutout for the trackpad may be the real problem, not the pad itself
    06-10-10 08:09 PM
    Ok. But I would check the 8530/8520 and even the 9700 forums where users report the same..
    Doesn't seem like it's as widespread with the Curve series or the 9700 though.
    06-10-10 10:27 PM
    usually i would agree and say the same thing, but mine is obvious and i can feel it a tad off too. but long as it works fine i guess all is good
    06-10-10 10:41 PM
    I was playing with my dad's Bold earlier and I hate to say it but his has a perfect trackpad. No lean, no tilt, no stickiness or weird sounds when clicking. Guess I picked the wrong one when we got our package from VZW haha.
    06-11-10 12:00 AM
    I really can't believe ppl are complaining about this. And what's more surprising is that VZW is exchanging the devices

06-11-10 12:06 AM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD