I just go to the mobile site instead of the main site. Hasn't bothered me thus far. For example instead of crackberry.com I use m.crackberry.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    When you do that, what you get is shown in the attachment (I have difficulty getting embedded images to appear).

And that's fine if you have young eyes! But for those of us who don't, it's necessary to zoom in, and once you zoom in, the lines of text don't fit on the screen, so you have to scroll back and forth to read anything. This, of course, is precisely what Column View was for, to make it possible to read pages of this sort without having to be constantly scrolling.

On a larger screen device, such as the Torch, held in landscape orientation, I guess it's not bad. But on the small-screen device, it's intolerable.

Ubizmo
    Last edited by ubizmo; 11-29-10 at 11:09 AM.
    11-29-10 11:03 AM
    They tryed something else but its not good enough to compete with colunm view on os 5. I wouls say no there is no column view for me

11-29-10 11:18 AM
    I think you can increase the (minimum) font size in browser options. That should make it easier to read mobile sites.
    12-01-10 07:49 AM
    I think you can increase the (minimum) font size in browser options. That should make it easier to read mobile sites.
    Yes, but it doesn't re-wrap the text, so the necessity of scrolling back and forth to read every line isn't relieved.

I think the bottom line is that current releases of OS6 are really designed for devices with larger touch screens. Although I don't have a Torch or Storm, I have to think that the whole browser text problem is less severe, or maybe even nonexistent, on those devices. There are other details that point to the same thing, such as the "tray handle" on the home screen. It's very useful to be able to touch that to open up the app tray, when your fingers are already hovering over the screen to do things, but on a non-touch device, it's just as easy to do it the old way: press the BB key.

At some point (soon) RIM needs to build a version of OS6 that isn't just compatible with non-touch smaller screens, but optimized for them.

Ubizmo
    12-01-10 08:31 AM
    I think they just need to move past OS 6 and get on with QNX or whatever that is.
    12-01-10 09:35 AM
    When using the "auto-wrap around' function, be sure to CLICK ON the text itself, not just anywhere in the page.
    I think it's brilliant and is probably the No1 reason I don't miss opera mini anymore.

Works for pictures, too btw. When on failblog or similar photo-blogs, click the picture with the magnifying glass and it will zoom to fit the img perfectly.

I really have no other wishes for this browser.
    12-01-10 11:46 AM
    When using the "auto-wrap around' function, be sure to CLICK ON the text itself, not just anywhere in the page.
    I think it's brilliant and is probably the No1 reason I don't miss opera mini anymore.

Works for pictures, too btw. When on failblog or similar photo-blogs, click the picture with the magnifying glass and it will zoom to fit the img perfectly.

I really have no other wishes for this browser.
    Auto-wrap? I don't have any function like that on mine. It doesn't re-wrap the text to fill the screen at a specified font size. It just zooms til the line fits on the screen. To make it bigger, I have to zoom and scroll back and forth.

Ubizmo
    12-01-10 12:39 PM
    Methinks you have to have keyboard shorrtcuts enabled under options.
    12-01-10 05:18 PM
    Methinks you have to have keyboard shorrtcuts enabled under options.
    I do.

But my update is this: I've found a few web sites where the text does zoom and re-wrap as people have mentioned here. They are regular, not mobile sites. But they are few and far between, which is why it has taken this long for me to find any.

Ubizmo
    12-06-10 07:30 AM
    Yeah I noticed this too and miss the single column view feature of the browser. How do I enable the new text wrap feature?
    Last edited by SpyDude; 12-06-10 at 04:58 PM.
    12-06-10 04:53 PM
    The more I play with the 9780 at the store the more I stick with my 9700 until the column view issue is fixed (if it ever will be on a non-touch screen). I read this site daily and just need proper wrapping at a font of human size.

12-07-10 05:49 AM
    Yeah I noticed this too and miss the single column view feature of the browser. How do I enable the new text wrap feature?
    The trouble is, you can't. If you put the cursor in a text area where it becomes a magnifying glass, and if it's not a mobile site, it will attempt to zoom to fit a line of text on screen. For a few sites, it'll re-wrap/re-flow the text so it can be displayed in a larger font. But you can't control this behavior. It seems to depend on the way the site is coded, which interacts with the browser automatically. You can't depend on it.

Ubizmo
    12-07-10 07:09 AM
    If the site is arranged in 'columns' and you center the magnifying glass in the middle of the block of text you want to read, it will usually zoom in and auto-wrap that column for you.

12-07-10 07:14 AM
    Auto-wrap? I don't have any function like that on mine. It doesn't re-wrap the text to fill the screen at a specified font size. It just zooms til the line fits on the screen. To make it bigger, I have to zoom and scroll back and forth.

Ubizmo
    WHY do't you post the few sites where the Auto-Wrap does not work ... something we can all test and post our findings?
    12-08-10 07:40 AM
    WHY do't you post the few sites where the Auto-Wrap does not work ... something we can all test and post our findings?
    There is, of course, this very forum.

Ubizmo
    12-08-10 08:02 AM
    The mobile version of CrackBerry does not wrap:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f219/does-9780-have-real-column-view-function-browser-543297/index3.html#post5847212

12-08-10 08:03 AM
    This excellent blog article shows a magnetfying glass but also does not wrap:

Wikileaks and the Long Haul � Clay Shirky
    12-08-10 08:29 AM
    Here's another web site, with no (+) and no wrap:

Why Low Carb Diets Work

Ubizmo
    12-08-10 08:47 AM
    Hopefully the developers at RIM working on the Webkit browser is reading this thread too, and make changes so we can unilaterally enlarge the font regardless of how a site is coded.
    12-08-10 08:55 AM
    There is, of course, this very forum.

Ubizmo
    ...Which wraps perfectly

12-08-10 10:15 AM
    This excellent blog article shows a magnetfying glass but also does not wrap:

Wikileaks and the Long Haul � Clay Shirky
    ...Wraps perfectly

12-08-10 10:16 AM
    Here's another web site, with no (+) and no wrap:

Why Low Carb Diets Work

Ubizmo
    ...There is a + sign, and it wraps perfectly

12-08-10 10:17 AM
    The mobile version of CrackBerry does not wrap
    ...Yes it does, perfectly, just a little small.

12-08-10 10:20 AM
    ...Which wraps perfectly

Not on my 9780. Ever. No (+) and no wrap. The other one I mentioned, the low-carb site, is skittish. I've loaded it three times, each time clearing the cache first. One time out of three I got (+) and wrap

Ubizmo

12-08-10 10:27 AM
    I can only put this down to font size settings, Ubizmo. Mine are all set to default, and all the examples given wrap fine on my phone. Admittedly it is a tad skittish at times as you have to place the cursor dead center, and the text size is too small, but it does wrap nonetheless.

Not perfect, but can only get better with future OS releases.

12-08-10 10:33 AM
85 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD