I have a question abou tthe browser that ships with the 9780 and its relationship to OS6 and/or WebKit.

Sorry, this is a cross-post from the OS6 section, but someone with a 9780 can probably answer the main question in about 2 seconds.

I just picked up a Torch and I hate it. Everything about it (except the touchscreen when using certain apps) is just "okay", but the real failure is tha lack of column view when browsing forums. So the real question is, does the 9780 have the same "true" column view function that exists on the 9700?

I know all about how I can double tap to zoom into a column on the Torch, but in forums, it just isn't the same- sort of like an automatic transmission that you can shift manually. To the unknowing, it might appear to be just as good, but to those who care about that feature, it isn't fooling anyone.

So anyway, I am still in my return window for the Torch and am thinking about reverting to a 9700. I am hearing about the 9780, which I could get instead (upon AT&T US release, of course), but the 9780 will have OS6. If OS6 will always lack the column view option, then I will get a 9700. If the lack of column view is Torch-specific, then I might wait for the 9780.

TIA for any guidance.
    10-26-10 09:33 PM
    So the real question is, does the 9780 have the same "true" column view function that exists on the 9700?
    What a stupid question

BlackBerry 6 is a Universal Interface, so why would it be any different between devices?

...So the real answer is no, of course the 9780 doesn't have the same column view function that exists on a different device running a different OS version

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Phill_UK; 10-27-10 at 09:56 AM.
    10-27-10 08:07 AM
    What a stupid question

BlackBerry 6 is a Universal Interface, so why would it be any different between devices?

...So the real answer is no, of course the 9780 doesn't have the same column view function that exists on a different device running a different OS version
    Well, BB6 is an operating system. I think of an OS and being like windows. The browser is a different component- just as IE and FireFox are different broswers.

I was hoping that the lack of a touchscreen (and the "brilliance" of the option to double-tap on a desired section of the screen to zoom) would be native to touch devices, while column view would at least remain an option on non-touch devices.

Even if the OS changes, I would think that a touch-based device would have a browser that was (even slightly) different from that on a non-touch device. But that is just me...
    10-27-10 08:16 PM
    What a stupid question

What may be a stupid question to you may not be to someone else. There is no need to disrespect anyone regardless of their question, its a legit question but if it makes no sense to you or the person asking has no clue then educate them not insult them. If you dont want to answer then move on.

What i dont understand about this site is why the mods put up with this kind of talk.

if you have 3000 posts or 3 posts you may know it all but not everyone does.

just my 2cents
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    10-27-10 09:28 PM
    what may be a stupid question to you may not be to someone else. There is no need to disrespect anyone regardless of their question, its a legit question but if it makes no sense to you or the person asking has no clue then educate them not insult them. If you dont want to answer then move on.

What i dont understand about this site is why the mods put up with this kind of talk.

If you have 3000 posts or 3 posts you may know it all but not everyone does.

Just my 2cents
    100%......

10-28-10 05:40 AM
    I have a question abou tthe browser that ships with the 9780 and its relationship to OS6 and/or WebKit.

Sorry, this is a cross-post from the OS6 section, but someone with a 9780 can probably answer the main question in about 2 seconds.

I just picked up a Torch and I hate it. Everything about it (except the touchscreen when using certain apps) is just "okay", but the real failure is tha lack of column view when browsing forums. So the real question is, does the 9780 have the same "true" column view function that exists on the 9700?

I know all about how I can double tap to zoom into a column on the Torch, but in forums, it just isn't the same- sort of like an automatic transmission that you can shift manually. To the unknowing, it might appear to be just as good, but to those who care about that feature, it isn't fooling anyone.

So anyway, I am still in my return window for the Torch and am thinking about reverting to a 9700. I am hearing about the 9780, which I could get instead (upon AT&T US release, of course), but the 9780 will have OS6. If OS6 will always lack the column view option, then I will get a 9700. If the lack of column view is Torch-specific, then I might wait for the 9780.

TIA for any guidance.
    Column view (actually the lack of it) is one of the reasons my 9800 is semi retired. I read alot in bed-- helps me fall asleep. Try reading a forum on webkit...it's an exercise in frustration, so your question and post are totally valid. Too bad the answer is no.
    Personally, I kept my trusty 9700 sim-less and use it to surf on wifi at home.

10-28-10 05:47 AM
    Not having tried an OS 6 device yet, I don't quite follow this. What does it mean to "tap to zoom into a column"? Is this essentially the same as pressing 'I' on the OS 5 browser?

If true column view (i.e., page reformatted in column format) is missing in OS 6, I wonder if that's something that could be added back in, in an eventual OS update. Or is it simply incompatible with the webkit browser way of doing things? If the latter, I wonder if there could be an add-on app for column viewing, that the OS 6 browser could fork out to...

Ubizmo
    10-28-10 08:29 PM
    Good question OP. I didn't even think of this issue before reading this thread. Not having column view on the 9780 would be a big mistake. I need the ability to switch to column view because the text is so small in the browser that the column view automatically makes it bigger and easier to read. But I doubt that RIM would leave us hanging like that. I'm sure they have incorporated something that will keep us happy.

10-29-10 05:20 AM
    Good question OP. I didn't even think of this issue before reading this thread. Not having column view on the 9780 would be a big mistake. I need the ability to switch to column view because the text is so small in the browser that the column view automatically makes it bigger and easier to read. But I doubt that RIM would leave us hanging like that. I'm sure they have incorporated something that will keep us happy.

That would be great, but what I'm reading in this thread is that column view just isn't in current versions of OS 6. It's the first indisputably bad news I've heard about OS 6.

Ubizmo
    10-29-10 08:35 AM
    Ask someone running 6 on a 9650. It's currently the only non-touch on the market with 6. Or, go play with a Style on Sunday.

10-29-10 11:19 AM

If the 9780 has no column view or something similar I'm not interested.

10-29-10 07:45 PM
    OK, 2 things...

1) Apologies to the OP and anyone else offended by my reply. Those who know me will know that my dry British sense of humour is often misinterpreted, and no disrespect was meant.

2) Column View - there is no setting for this function in OS6, as there was in OS5 and before. When viewing WAP forums such as this, the text is somewhat smaller than it was on OS5 but it is perfectly wrapped. You are still able to zoom in/out using I and O, but that only increases the font size and does not wrap the text in the page (ie you have to scroll left & right to read the full text). If someone posts a large picture in a thread, that totally screws up the text and it becomes far too small to read. In this case however, the cursor icon turns into a magnifying glass icon and if you centre this on the page and press the trackpad, it will zoom in and wrap the text again making it easy to read. Although this is a little annoying at present, I'm sure it will be fixed in future OS releases... And before anyone asks, this is still the case in .294 which is now an official OS6 release for the 9780.

10-30-10 07:44 AM
    For what its worth, I could never get this functionality working in my iphone 4 I had for work, so I'm not sure what other phones out there will dynamically redraw the page. So while it is annoying, not sure if there are better solutions available that are OS-wide. Maybe winmo7.

10-30-10 07:53 AM
    Great thread, I have yet to try OS6 and I guess I always assumed they would keep some sort of 'column view'. I also use column view quite a bit on my 9700, and losing it altogether would not be a deal breaker for me, but I would be disappointed.
    10-30-10 08:26 AM
    Got it running on my 9700 and believe me the lack of a column view is a showstopper to me. Yes, the browser is great, but a great browser needs a bigger screen. I find myself having to scroll left and right to read pages, including crackberry.

A column view or simply a "wrap to screen" option would have been so much better.

Os6 is great, but I think I'm going to downgrade. No point is a quick loading, full rendering webkit if I can't read anything and have to scroll back and forth constantly.

11-08-10 06:15 AM
    Got it running on my 9700 and believe me the lack of a column view is a showstopper to me. Yes, the browser is great, but a great browser needs a bigger screen. I find myself having to scroll left and right to read pages, including crackberry.

A column view or simply a "wrap to screen" option would have been so much better.

Os6 is great, but I think I'm going to downgrade. No point is a quick loading, full rendering webkit if I can't read anything and have to scroll back and forth constantly.

One of my favorite things about the webkit is it's 'zoom to text auto reformatting (or whatever its officially called)', in my opinion its just as good as column view. Almost any webpage I've tried, if I zoom directly in on the text, it reformats it and I only have to scroll down to read it. Love this feature
    11-08-10 07:28 AM
    Alas, this does not function on most mobile-formatted sites, including CB. I much prefer reading the mobile-optimized versions of sites, and the WebKit browser in BB6 makes the text too damned small. I have to strike a balance between maybe 1 click of the "i" key to zoom with a minimum of strafing to read.

Click-zoom reformatting does seem to work well on NON-mobile sites, but I REALLY want my column view option back!
    11-08-10 09:34 AM
    Alas, this does not function on most mobile-formatted sites, including CB. I much prefer reading the mobile-optimized versions of sites, and the WebKit browser in BB6 makes the text too damned small. I have to strike a balance between maybe 1 click of the "i" key to zoom with a minimum of strafing to read.

Click-zoom reformatting does seem to work well on NON-mobile sites, but I REALLY want my column view option back!
    Maybe on OS 6 it's better to set the browser ID to Firefox or IE, to get to the non-mobile version of web sites?

Ubizmo
    11-08-10 01:42 PM
    Maybe on OS 6 it's better to set the browser ID to Firefox or IE, to get to the non-mobile version of web sites?

Ubizmo
    There is no browser ID feature on OS6.

It kinda decides itself whether to open the full or mobile site

11-08-10 02:29 PM
    There is no browser ID feature on OS6.

It kinda decides itself whether to open the full or mobile site

One of my biggest pet peeves is that you cannot change the browser ID... But Phil, doesn't the website detect the browser and direct you to the mobile or full version of a website? Or does the browser determine this?
    11-08-10 03:04 PM
    The server should do this based on the supplied browser agent string.
    11-08-10 05:03 PM
    This particular piece of news is a real turd in the punchbowl, as far as OS 6 is concerned. It's never fun to discover that something new and improved lacks something important that its predecessor had.

Ubizmo
    11-08-10 06:20 PM
    I know this thread is a couple of weeks old but I just got the 9780 to do some testing and I was really disappointed in the lack of text resizing like the Torch has.
    I found this article from back when the 9780 was introduced and in the article it says-

“and provides a zoom feature that can intelligently auto-wrap text in a column while maintaining the placement of a page's key elements for easier viewing.”

So maybe we are missing something?
    Here's the link to the article.
    RIM Introduces the New BlackBerry Bold 9780 Smartphone

Joe
    11-28-10 03:07 PM
    I just go to the mobile site instead of the main site. Hasn't bothered me thus far. For example instead of crackberry.com I use m.crackberry.com

11-28-10 09:07 PM
    What RIM is talking about is when the browser shows a magnifying glass. If you click the trackpad then, the Bold zooms and wraps *some* text. I still find some scrolling left to right necessary on occasion. I hope that later builds will bring column view.

11-29-10 10:24 AM
85 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD