Okay so I am confused. I didn't think the 9700 had HSUPA but I've run speed tests using Fixmo's speed test tool and found quite different results. Using APN wap.cingular, I got:

May 14 03:06:07

Here are the Speedtest results for my Blackberry:

Connection Type: Carrier
    Avg. Download Speed: 820.92Kbits/s
    Max. Download Speed: 1650.53Kbits/s

Avg. Upload Speed: 315.29Kbits/s
    Max. Upload Speed: 394.83Kbits/s

Fixmo Speedtest v1.0.0
    Visit Fixmo website at:
    http://www.fixmo.com

Using BIS, I get:

May 14 03:12:00

Here are the Speedtest results for my Blackberry:

Connection Type: Carrier
    Avg. Download Speed: 727.64Kbits/s
    Max. Download Speed: 1414.36Kbits/s

Avg. Upload Speed: 56.3Kbits/s
    Max. Upload Speed: 80.88Kbits/s

Fixmo Speedtest v1.0.0
    Visit Fixmo website at:
    http://www.fixmo.com

Now download speeds are comparable but I can not pass 90 upload using BIS. What's the deal here? And before anyone faults the app, I've used the other speed test with similar results.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-14-10 04:13 AM
    Nobody knows?

05-14-10 03:19 PM
    I didn't realize this was such a hard question :/

05-15-10 09:25 AM
    Did you compare the speed test results from WIFi to 3G? I didnt understand your post, because you list the top results as using the 3G service, and the 2nd set of results are using BIS. Isn't that the same thing? I thought you can only use BIS via AT&T 3G or EDGE.....or of course a tunneled connection via WIFI. If you speed tested using 3G, and then enabled your WIFI and speed tested again, that would explain the higher upload speed.

OR

Do I need to go back to bed and try again tomorrow when I'm thinking better. (i.e. am i missing something )
    Last edited by mikeyg164; 05-15-10 at 09:43 AM.
    05-15-10 09:34 AM
    I used BIS for the first test. I used the WAP.CINGULAR APN for the other.

The Fixmo speedtest app allows for testing through BIS or bypassing BIS and using the direct APN (not hitting BlackBerry servers)
    05-19-10 01:55 AM
    I used BIS for the first test. I used the WAP.CINGULAR APN for the other.

The Fixmo speedtest app allows for testing through BIS or bypassing BIS and using the direct APN (not hitting BlackBerry servers)
    05-19-10 01:56 AM
    Do you get similar results with mobilespeedtest.com ?

Also would time/location of test affect connection speeds due to signal strength/ congestion on network?
    05-19-10 09:32 AM
    Do you get similar results with mobilespeedtest.com ?

Also would time/location of test affect connection speeds due to signal strength/ congestion on network?
    Mobilespeedtest com is not an accurate way to measure speed on a berry due to the proxied nature of the BlackBerry browser. You can only get a decent view of speed through native apps for the phone that either use a direct TCP connection via APN or that measure the speed of BIS. If you do a speedtest on a website, it connects to RIM's servers rather than the mobile network.

The tests were performed in basically the exact same location, right about the same time and I ran multiple tests.
    05-20-10 01:15 PM
    If I remember correctly, I'm not gonna put anything complicated here like what you guys are saying but my T-mobile rep who's an expert on these speed tests (or so he says) that the bold wil not be getting that speed. I'll double check again later once I get a hold of him

but the HSPA will be launching around the month of June for TMO anyway

**Update**
    Well I didn't know there was HSUPA and HSDPA+ but I've been reading and he told me that the BB9700 can do speed tests up to 3.6 while HTC phones can go up to 7.2. Hope that answers your questions. If i'm wrong, please blame the rep lol
    Last edited by leddaray; 05-20-10 at 08:22 PM.
    05-20-10 02:09 PM
    my 9700, on t-mobile, certainly had nothing remotely close to HSPA, let alone HSPA+... more like bare bones UMTC (384kbps)... not blaming the device, blaming the network...

while tether, BOTH usb or bluetooth, could never get more than 300kbsp down... didn't matter which server I used, or which speedtest site... and prior to this, same computer, same methods, was able to get like 1500kbps on an iphone 3GS on AT&T (before I dumped at&t), then even my Nexus One on T-Mo (gone also) was able to get 900-1000kbps down.... With the 9700 on T-Mo... nope... 300kbps... all day long, consistently, and repeatedly... often, even less... like EDGE speeds many times... 20-30 kbps... YES, 20-30...

So I said goodbye and good riddance to T-Mo (ah, the beauty of having been non-contract with them... I KNEW there was a reason )... now on Sprint with the 9650, easily getting 700-800kbps over BT without even trying... only had it a day and a half... so haven't done extensive speed tests... but showing WAY more promise... sad to say, but T-Mo in my area must suck the big kahuna for data or backhaul or whatever the reason (this seems to be AT&T town btw... we have some AT&T corporate offices near where I live)... since I know that others elsewhere, on T-Mo, on their 9700s, are getting quite good data speeds...

EDIT: i'm obviously back with my 9700 and T-Mo... the Sprint/9650 experience was a flaming crash and burn disaster... back to the slow speeds, but at least GREAT customer service and reliable voice service, and somewhat reliable - but OMG SLOW!!! data speeds...
    Last edited by mi_canuck; 06-03-10 at 01:31 PM.
    05-22-10 12:15 PM
    I got the specs below from the RIM page here BlackBerry - Bold Specs - Specifications for BlackBerry Bold 9650, 9700, 9000

BlackBerry Bold 9700:
    • Tri-band 3G HSDPA networks: 2100MHz/1900MHz/850MHz
    • Tri-band UMTS networks: 2100/1900/850/800 MHz and 2100/1700/900 MHz
    • Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE networks: 850/900/1800/1900MHz
    05-22-10 12:39 PM
    I got the specs below from the RIM page here BlackBerry - Bold Specs - Specifications for BlackBerry Bold 9650, 9700, 9000

BlackBerry Bold 9700:
    • Tri-band 3G HSDPA networks: 2100MHz/1900MHz/850MHz
    • Tri-band UMTS networks: 2100/1900/850/800 MHz and 2100/1700/900 MHz
    • Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE networks: 850/900/1800/1900MHz
    Could be a typo... but man, maybe the T-Mo (AWS aka 1700 Mhz) 9700 can't do HSDPA???? would explain quite a lot!!!
    06-03-10 01:27 PM
    I regularly speed test on 3G with T-Mobile at 2 Mbps or slightly above. Where are you that you're getting such poor data speeds?
    06-03-10 06:47 PM
    Ok - so I ran speedtest.net this evening.... hadn't in a while...

via USB was getting in the 500's kbps... so possibly not just base UMTS... but the T-Mo network here in metro Detroit certainly is NOT speedy.... but even if it is HSDPA here, it's certainly not consistent, as more often than not, even via USB, speeds 0.36Mbps or less...

when I was on at&t, with an iphone 3GS... on the same computer, USB, was getting easily almost 2Mbps...

so it's a T-Mo thing... and I've had a few 9700s (first were duds, then I got rid of one, went Nexus One, then back again to 9700 a couple months later)... and all had same poor data speed while tethered...

If you're getting 2Mbps, it's because your T-Mo network in CO is far better than it is here in SE MI....

PS - is your 2Mbps via tethering speed test? If you are running a speedtest directly on your BB, the results aren't valid at all... due to the proxying when using data via the BB's browser....
    Last edited by mi_canuck; 06-03-10 at 10:44 PM.
    06-03-10 10:42 PM
    Ok - so I ran speedtest.net this evening.... hadn't in a while...

via USB was getting in the 500's kbps... so possibly not just base UMTS... but the T-Mo network here in metro Detroit certainly is NOT speedy....

when I was on at&t, with an iphone 3GS... on the same computer, USB, was getting easily almost 2Mbps...

so it's a T-Mo thing... and I've had a few 9700s (first were duds, then I got rid of one, went Nexus One, then back again to 9700 a couple months later)... and all had same poor data speed while tethered...

If you're getting 2Mbps, it's because your T-Mo network in CO is far better than it is here in SE MI....

PS - is your 2Mbps via tethering speed test? If you are running a speedtest directly on your BB, the results aren't valid at all... due to the proxying when using data via the BB's browser....
    Tethering consistently nets 2.5 or higher, and around 300 kbps upload.
    06-03-10 10:44 PM
    Per the FCC test reports, it's HDSPA only (no HSUPA).
    06-03-10 11:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD