Lol, Its funny that you should say that because thats exactly what comes to mind when i hear people ordering trackballs opening up the phone and changing the trackballs themselves. Thats what made me think of this workaround. Goes to show you perception is everything. Kudo's to you on being brave enought to open your phone and change the the trackball yourself.
    True that! If the "coloring operation" failed, I always could have purchased a new (real black) trackball
    It's just cool that it does work perfect and didn't have to open my phone for it.
    06-22-09 05:36 AM
    I made my track ball red/pink to match my phone but I did it wayyy differently. 1st I took my trackball outa my phone. 2nd I colored a small piece of surgical tape with a colored sharpie. 3rd I took the small piece of tape and stuck it over the led light. And wala a new pretty looking trackball

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-09 05:43 AM
    This looks so good! Just ordered my parts so hopefully I will be able assemble them correctly! Trackball definitely has to be replaced, colouring in just seems tacky!
    06-22-09 06:20 AM
    This looks so good! Just ordered my parts so hopefully I will be able assemble them correctly! Trackball definitely has to be replaced, colouring in just seems tacky!
    well if you read the posts through the rest of the thread you would see that the majority of the people that have done this either don't have the means to order online or live in a country where shipping is so expensive that it doesn't warant paying $30-$40 for a trackball. don't rip it till you seen it in the flesh. mine is a perfect flat black in the day with an awesome dark purple glow at night. big ups to you for being able to purchase online and not have to fork out a sh1t load of cash for your parts.
    06-22-09 11:46 AM
    Where can i BUY a black track ball/ get it installed?
    06-22-09 02:22 PM
    ...doesn't ink get everywhere?
    06-22-09 02:36 PM
    ...doesn't ink get everywhere?
    not at all. you need to be careful. afterwards use cleaning alcohol to take off the excess. i used deodarant. works really well. on a cotton bud that is (or cue tip)
    06-22-09 02:50 PM
    ...hmm, tempting...
    06-22-09 02:57 PM
    ...hmm, tempting...
    i'm really happy with how mine came out. if you use a sharpie it has a blue base, so when cleaning off the excess it glows blue in the dark. but black in light
    06-22-09 03:09 PM
    i did this like 2 months ago..sharpie, bit of vinegar and an alcohol pad to rid of the excess ink....

WHEN LIT...PRETTY BLUE...WHEN IDLE. MATTE BLACK..

LUV LUV LUV IT.

I TOO DISLIKE THE FUNKY COLOR IT WAS TURNING TO DUE TO ALL THE ROLLING AROUND.

SHARPIE IS THE WAY TO GO..

BESIDES IVE HEARD SOME OF THE CNN BALLS WERENT REALLY WORTH IT.
    06-27-09 11:40 PM
    06-28-09 12:34 PM
    looks great but id wait for my warranty to expire first
    07-24-09 09:41 PM
    almost two months since i blacked my trackball with a sharpie

still black

bmwpower = loose
    07-30-09 03:30 AM
    Mine still black , did it whith a sharpie

07-30-09 04:13 AM
    RIT dye works just fine. it's less than 2 dollars and it'll never come off. plus if you use the dark green it turns it black, but for some reason when it glows it's a deep red.
    07-30-09 04:39 AM
    RIT dye works just fine. it's less than 2 dollars and it'll never come off. plus if you use the dark green it turns it black, but for some reason when it glows it's a deep red.
    sounds cool
    07-30-09 04:51 AM
    Nice try.. I've bought blue trackball
    07-30-09 06:57 AM
    Cool~ VEry very tempting..

Not helping I'm a fan of BLACK~
    07-30-09 10:37 AM
    I just did this and it worked great thank God.

However, the black appears even. However when the trackball lights up and it goes to the blue color..i notice some areas darker than others....is this normal??
    08-02-09 07:38 AM
    @billybobjones. Yes it does it for about 3 days or so, but use deoderant and a cue tip on the dark patches. It should even things out

08-02-09 09:10 AM
    wouldn't using the track ball for awhile cause the black ink to rub off and look weird? :S
    08-02-09 03:49 PM
    @nammerr. Nope. It actually looks better over time. More matt black.

08-02-09 04:33 PM
    This is a really good idea. It wouldn't do it normally because I'd be afraid of the ink comin' off as I rolled it, but the cotton dabbing sounds like it would fix it. I think I'll do this once my trackball gets old instead of buying a new one. I'd clean it with some alcohol first though.
    08-02-09 09:54 PM
    Ghetto fab!

08-02-09 10:13 PM
    I think it looks fab! I did this with my 9000 and haven't had any issues with it.
    08-03-09 12:40 AM
204 ... 6789
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD