I love my wife's Bubba teeth !!
    06-05-09 05:11 AM
    Then I took a q-tip with a very small amount of nail polish remover and wiped of the ball and now it is Perfect.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Acetone (the active ingredient in nail polish remover) is a plastic solvent - even the vapours can damage the plastic. And since the vapours are more dense than air, they likely got in your device, too. All sorts of fun, crucial plastic bits in there.
    Not to mention - it's extremely flammable... not the ideal thing to have around an electronic device.
    Last edited by Polywog; 06-05-09 at 06:41 AM.
    06-05-09 06:37 AM
    It looks good, might have to try this when I get home.

06-05-09 07:09 AM
    So you buy a $600 phone to open it up and void your warranty by putting in a $15 trackball. Does that make sense? You throw away $600 over $15 Someone needs to go back to finance class. And you would be surprised how many people are using ducktape to fix the creaking of the battery door on this $600 phone. You are probably upset that you didn't find about this method before you voided your warranty.
    I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure taking a marker to the trackball voids the warranty, too...

There are plenty of reasons why it's a bad idea to use a marker to dye the ball, while it's still in the casing, as opposed to removing it and dying it properly. What scares me is some of the compounds people are using, on an electronic device, to clean up the imperfections.
    06-05-09 07:10 AM
    Hey Goose, yours doesn't light up blue when the screen is on? It should if it doesnt.
    I like it b.l.a.c.k.

plus vinegar is a no for me.
    06-05-09 07:22 AM
    I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure taking a marker to the trackball voids the warranty, too...

I know i have been guilty of eating whilst 'trackballing' and getting all kinds of nasty gloop on my trackball.
    I recon excess cheese puff powder is more likely to void your warranty than a little ink.
    06-05-09 07:27 AM
    Ignore this guy he obviously either got an F in arts and craft class or works for one of these companies that sell these expensive trackballs and is upset that they are no longer needed after everyone hears about how to do this and not void their warranty by purchasing an aftermarket trackball and opening up their phones.

So you buy a $600 phone to open it up and void your warranty by putting in a $15 trackball. Does that make sense? You throw away $600 over $15 Someone needs to go back to finance class. And you would be surprised how many people are using ducktape to fix the creaking of the battery door on this $600 phone. You are probably upset that you didn't find about this method before you voided your warranty.
    I know i have been guilty of eating whilst 'trackballing' and getting all kinds of nasty gloop on my trackball.
    I recon excess cheese puff powder is more likely to void your warranty than a little ink.
    On is an intentional act, the other is not; I doubt the company will see them in the same light. Either way, it still remains that until you open your phone, and note what kind of mess has been made of the internals of the trackball assembly (and nearby electronics) you don't know that this process made less of a mess than cheese puff power.
    06-05-09 07:47 AM
    Excellent!

I saw on Championart's thread (http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/my-berry-bold-235353/) that if you colour your trackball with black permanent marker you get an instant black trackball.

I was worried about putting ink to my trackball but hated the rotten hillbilly tooth colour it had become.

BLAM! Less than a minute later I have a sexy black trackball!

I used a cotton bud to remove excess ink from the trackball casing.

Very happy indeed!

low light - at the bar?

day light - BBQ? sizzle..

Lights out - ooo errr squidge

too close for comfort

BOOM!!! what's stopping you?

Do it now!

you nuts ? order one from cnn.cn like i did i should have it anyday along with the black buttons and black bezel i ordered. blackberry blackout
    06-05-09 08:13 AM
    he did what?! void his warranty on his device to colour his trackball black?!

epic fail.
    06-05-09 08:56 AM
    it looks gud, where can i get one
    06-05-09 09:47 AM
    I'm kinda getting mad. With the other devices (8100 and 8300) it was so easy to open up. I'm afraid to open my bold. The trackball is getting more and more "clogged" as sometimes it wont scroll down or scroll up. I lock the screen and put it into standby and ravage the ball pushing hard and in all directions with my tshirt just in case its some oil or something that's making it get stuck... Am I doing the right thing?
    06-05-09 10:59 AM
    Acetone (the active ingredient in nail polish remover) is a plastic solvent - even the vapours can damage the plastic. And since the vapours are more dense than air, they likely got in your device, too. All sorts of fun, crucial plastic bits in there.
    Not to mention - it's extremely flammable... not the ideal thing to have around an electronic device.
    I agree with you on this and thats why i cleaned mine with vinegar and recommended vinegar as opposed to alcohol, acetone etc as its a natural cleaner all purpose everything and was recommended to clean your trackball whenever it became discolored.

There are plenty of reasons why it's a bad idea to use a marker to dye the ball, while it's still in the casing, as opposed to removing it and dying it properly. What scares me is some of the compounds people are using, on an electronic device, to clean up the imperfections.
    No putting a marker to your trackball doesn't void the warranty if thats the case then most of these blackberries warranties are voided already from having pen ink, dirt etc get on the ball. It most certainly doesn't do any damage to the phone (well of course if done properly, anything can damage the phone when done incorrectly). I made sure to specify important measures to take. The permanent marker is a quick dry solution that dries in a matter of seconds on contact with the surface. Its no worse than the dirt, grease, grime on your hands getting on your trackball. Also eventually your trackball would have turned black after being discolored from natural wear and tear, this accelerates the process without the brown/yellow stage but does it in a way you that you would like it.

I like it b.l.a.c.k.

plus vinegar is a no for me.
    Lol so why not have the best of both worlds. Black when the backlight is off and blue when it comes on
    06-05-09 01:18 PM
    eehm....a new trackball should suffice!!!
    06-05-09 04:38 PM
    Bold open = void warranty so I will stay white

06-05-09 06:31 PM
    I was gonna do this, but decided not to because I don't want to void my warranty. U never know when u might have to get your berry replaced, and if they decide to give a hard time cause the trackball was painted, them I'm screwed. So far I've gotten my BlackBerrys for free, so I'm not trying to have to pay out of pocket for a new berry cause of a "trackball". My last berry went bad when the USB port came loose and the phone wouldn't take a charge. I took it to ATT and got another one no questions asked. If I had done some kind of customization, maybe I would not have been as lucky.

06-06-09 07:00 AM
    1) My bold is off ebay = no warranty
    2) I live in india so cnn/post is not a possibility due to light fingered postmen and customs goons let alone shipping.
    3) Its been 4 days and my blacked out trackball is rocking!
    4) Is 45 degrees in new delhi today and there is a dust storm outside - my trackball is heroic in these conditions and is man enough to handle indelible ink.
    5) USB is so simple to repair, I am HUGE and go through USB ports like a hot knife through butter due to strong clumsy hands.

Viva la sharpie!!!

06-06-09 07:18 AM
    Attachment 26559 My bold with black track ball
    awesome case!!
    06-06-09 07:21 AM
    1) My bold is off ebay = no warranty
    2) I live in india so cnn/post is not a possibility due to light fingered postmen and customs goons let alone shipping.
    3) Its been 4 days and my blacked out trackball is rocking!
    4) Is 45 degrees in new delhi today and there is a dust storm outside - my trackball is heroic in these conditions and is man enough to handle indelible ink.
    5) USB is so simple to repair, I am HUGE and go through USB ports like a hot knife through butter due to strong clumsy hands.

Viva la sharpie!!!

Why is shipping unreliable?? Just use a private service...
    06-06-09 07:23 AM
    How simple is it to repair the USB port on a Curve? When it broke on my previous Curve I wanted to try and fix it myself but I guess I didn't have the guts to tackle it. I didn't want to mess anything else up by mistake. So I just took it to ATT being that it was still under warranty.

06-06-09 07:37 AM
    I agree with you on this and thats why i cleaned mine with vinegar and recommended vinegar as opposed to alcohol, acetone etc as its a natural cleaner all purpose everything and was recommended to clean your trackball whenever it became discolored.
    Vinegar has a PH of around 2.4 (assuming 5% acetic acid per volume,) pure rubbing alcohol is close to neutral, 5.5. Vinegar could potentially damage metallic parts and soldered joints. Not saying it will, but I prefer alcohol just from that standpoint alone.

No putting a marker to your trackball doesn't void the warranty if thats the case then most of these blackberries warranties are voided already from having pen ink, dirt etc get on the ball. It most certainly doesn't do any damage to the phone (well of course if done properly, anything can damage the phone when done incorrectly). I made sure to specify important measures to take. The permanent marker is a quick dry solution that dries in a matter of seconds on contact with the surface. Its no worse than the dirt, grease, grime on your hands getting on your trackball. Also eventually your trackball would have turned black after being discolored from natural wear and tear, this accelerates the process without the brown/yellow stage but does it in a way you that you would like it.
    That's an assumption; the people who honour the warranty may see things quite differently. I wouldn't bet on them covering an intentional act. To each to his own though.
    06-06-09 07:51 AM
    Vinegar has a PH of around 2.4 (assuming 5% acetic acid per volume,) pure rubbing alcohol is close to neutral, 5.5. Vinegar could potentially damage metallic parts and soldered joints. Not saying it will, but I prefer alcohol just from that standpoint alone.

That's an assumption; the people who honour the warranty may see things quite differently. I wouldn't bet on them covering an intentional act. To each to his own though.

Vinegar is one the oldest natural cleaning substance along with lemon. When cleaning your appliances with any liquid it is recommended that you don't have them plugged in or turned on just like the recommendation that the battery be out of your phone for this little project no matter what you are cleaning it with. Also it was recommended that whenever you want to clean your trackball from that yellowish/brownish color to use vinegar. Alcohol contains 70 to 100% volume of ethanol. Ethanol is a very flammable and volatile liquid. But lets not turn this thread into a bunsen burner science class.
    Both methods of cleaning the trackball with both substances have worked well as reported by people who did it with no ill effects, i'd rather go by that than any assumptions. Coloring the trackball has worked excellently with no problems at all. To my knowledge warranty was not turned down on a berry whose trackball was colored. Warranty is turned down when you open up your berry and change your trackball or any other parts and they can prove it by the damage to that little sticker on the screw. And most importantly people are happy with their colored trackballs which was the point of this thread. So lets have a beer agree to disagree and go by the facts and pictures of proof in this thread which are that coloring your trackball with a permanent sharpie works with no problems at all and everyone who has done it thus far is happy with their outcome. I have not heard one not one complaint maybe i missed it but i haven't heard of anyone not liking the outcome. cheers.
    06-06-09 04:07 PM
    i colored mine black as described with just a sharpie and used a toothpick to hold it still. took 2 mins and dried instantly. works like a charm. thanks.
    06-06-09 05:24 PM
    I did mine yesterday while bored@work with contractor grade black permanent marker. Now my trackball is as black as charcoal and looks good. Took steady hands to not color the metal ring also-but worth the 10 mins spent coloring it in-thanks guys..

06-06-09 06:00 PM
    How simple is it to repair the USB port on a Curve? When it broke on my previous Curve I wanted to try and fix it myself but I guess I didn't have the guts to tackle it. I didn't want to mess anything else up by mistake. So I just took it to ATT being that it was still under warranty.

Its kinda funny that i asked you how easy it is to repair the USb port, because all of a sudden now my curve is acting up and doesn't want to take a charge. I tried about 3 different BlackBerry OEM chargers, and none of them will charge it up. But then I try a Motorola charger from an old SLVR phone I had, and that charges it up rite away.
    06-07-09 10:04 AM
    Why is shipping unreliable?? Just use a private service...
    have you ever tried to ship items into India?

I regularly have to ship mobile handsets into New Delhi for application and game testing.
    In order to get these handsets through without being stolen i need to;

1) Address the consignments to myself not my business, even though this is illegal it makes passage through customs easier as the contents are not as scrutinized by customs and therefore not stolen.

2) in the case of mobile handsets i instruct the provider to pack the handsets with a greater number of books. Then i can declare on the outside of the parcel that it contains books in large text and handsets in small text. This method has reduced theft hugely.

I have had an instance where the parcel has been dumped at my office door open, the dope handsets gone and the crap ones left behind. nobody received the parcel and nobody knows who delivered it or cares, the cops are too busy being corrupt and its 48 degrees outside.

Almost all of the courier companies were refusing my business as most of the time they ended up paying the compensation for lost consignment.
    Using the methods mentioned above i am gradually getting their trust back.

I have now joined with a couple of other businesses globally - we have a container that circumvents the globe continuously. The container picks up my goods from various places and drops them to me. I have struck a deal with Indian customs to allow my container to be included in the STPI system - i pay them a lump sum, they dont stop my goods.

My Zagg screen protectors never turned up, my mothers christmas and easter parcels never turned up.

I am actually amazed that my bold arrived - but i was on that like flies on S*it - still got tapped with a $150 import tax.

with all this in mind - the sharpie way is much better.
    06-08-09 03:37 AM
204 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD