Why no just buy black trackball. no point in taking cheap way. Trackballs are not expensive.
    correction: trackballs are cheap. coloring your trackball with a sharpie that you already have is FREE. i colored mine red. i placed mine in hot water cuz some people were using a colored dye and placed it in some boiling water. then i dried it off and it looks just as better than the ones you can buy, but it's better because a) it was free and b) i didn't have to wait for it to arrive. instant gratification.
    06-09-09 08:42 AM
    UPDATE

Its been 20 days since I turned my skanky yellow trackball to sexy black with a permanent marker pen (or sharpie).

Its still black, no need to touch up - perfect.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-09 02:46 PM
    im going to give it a try, if it doesnt work that will be my excuse to get parts from cnn.cn and blackout my bold.
    06-21-09 02:55 PM
    Don't know if anyone said this, haven't read through all the threads, but if you don't like the black after you do it, alcohol does wonders to remove permanent marker
    06-21-09 03:20 PM
    This may seem like a silly question but how do you remove the trackball?
    06-21-09 05:29 PM
    Go to cnn.cn, there's a great video.
    06-21-09 06:07 PM
    So lets have a beer agree to disagree and go by the facts and pictures of proof in this thread which are that coloring your trackball with a permanent sharpie works with no problems at all and everyone who has done it thus far is happy with their outcome.

agree to disagree

Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
    "Do you have any chocolate milk?"
    "No."
    "Agree to disagree."

-----

"I'm here for make your own food Monday's."
    "Uh, sir we never had a make your own food Monday."
    "Agree to disagree."
    06-21-09 06:10 PM
    UPDATE

Its been 20 days since I turned my skanky yellow trackball to sexy black with a permanent marker pen (or sharpie).

Its still black, no need to touch up - perfect.

Great i bet all the skeptics out there are banging there heads trying to come up with something now to deter people.

agree to disagree

Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
    "Do you have any chocolate milk?"
    "No."
    "Agree to disagree."

-----

"I'm here for make your own food Monday's."
    "Uh, sir we never had a make your own food Monday."
    "Agree to disagree."
    Someone really wants attention i see and actually you are incorrect. This is the real meaning of agree to disagree

Meaning

Set aside an irreconcilable difference in order to maintain a civil dialogue. (Something you obviously aren't able to comprehend or do)

Origin

This expression is generally thought to be of American origin and to be a variant of the earlier 'agree to differ'. That latter phrase is first cited in the Selected Letters of the master potter Josiah Wedgwood, 1785:

"The principal difficulty is to agree to differ, to agree in impartial investigation and candid argument."

And through our investigations we have provided proof that the permanent sharpie does work to make your trackball black without any issues so i guess you really have no point then.
    Last edited by championart; 06-21-09 at 06:38 PM.
    06-21-09 06:35 PM
    well been 2 weeks and mine is still looking amazing. no fade or anything.
    06-21-09 06:37 PM
    well been 2 weeks and mine is still looking amazing. no fade or anything.
    Jayred glad to see everything is still good like expected
    06-21-09 06:39 PM
    Great i bet all the skeptics out there are banging there heads trying to come up with something now to deter people.

Someone really wants attention i see and actually you are incorrect. This is the real meaning of agree to disagree

Meaning

Set aside an irreconcilable difference in order to maintain a civil dialogue. (Something you obviously aren't able to comprehend or do)

Origin

This expression is generally thought to be of American origin and to be a variant of the earlier 'agree to differ'. That latter phrase is first cited in the Selected Letters of the master potter Josiah Wedgwood, 1785:

"The principal difficulty is to agree to differ, to agree in impartial investigation and candid argument."

And through our investigations we have provided proof that the permanent sharpie does work to make your trackball black without any issues so i guess you really have no point then.
    LOL... i love how people come and slam what has been tested and proven by many of the forums users, when they themselves have not tried the mod. lol.
    06-21-09 06:41 PM
    Go to cnn.cn, there's a great video.
    Thanks guy
    06-21-09 06:42 PM
    Jayred glad to see everything is still good like expected
    hells yeah. i didn't use a sharpie, so my glow is purple. like a fanta grape purple and really sexy matt black in the day. super stoked here. your's still good?
    06-21-09 06:46 PM
    Since we're on the topic of trackballs, do you guys know any links that show how to take apart a device and put in a new trackball? Thanks

Also, the black trackball looks wicked!

06-21-09 07:52 PM
    Lol, i saw that thread. It came out nice. That man is brave. I tip my hat to him
    i'm gonna do it. my carrier says that because i've put a new OS on that isn't approved by them, i've voided my warranty. so custom bezel here i come.
    06-21-09 09:11 PM
    Jayred....your carrier is wrong. Just because you put on a now OS that does not void your warranty due to the fact that you can always switch it back to the original one. Don't let them fool you. Good luck with the bezel.

06-21-09 09:23 PM
    Jayred....your carrier is wrong. Just because you put on a now OS that does not void your warranty due to the fact that you can always switch it back to the original one. Don't let them fool you. Good luck with the bezel.

felt like giving myself an excuse to do it... i never go down without a fight. this time i wanted to lose so i could try the bezel customization. stupid, but i'm curious. lol
    06-21-09 09:58 PM

You are indeed correct

felt like giving myself an excuse to do it... i never go down without a fight. this time i wanted to lose so i could try the bezel customization. stupid, but i'm curious. lol
    LOL
    06-21-09 10:59 PM
    just did it, worked pretty good. looks really sweet, make sure when your colouring it to tip your phone down, that way you won't miss any spots. definitely looks better than that horrid "wear colour". once your done colouring the trackball, roll it around for a while to get it nice and smooth.
    06-21-09 11:29 PM
    Ghetto-fab. Lol

06-21-09 11:30 PM
    i'm gonna do it. my carrier says that because i've put a new OS on that isn't approved by them, i've voided my warranty. so custom bezel here i come.
    when your done with the custom bezel, post some pics cause im curious. i just did the blacked out trackball, its pretty sweet
    06-21-09 11:31 PM
    i'm not gonna hate on this technique. but personally i prefer buying a trackball than play coloring-in with mine. i did a lot of research and saw all these attempts at creating a colored trackball but why bother? it cost me 5 bucks for a brand new one that feels better than the ratty old one
    06-22-09 01:06 AM
    That looks really good. I bought and changed mine to a black trackball and while I don't think I'd have the nerve to do this to my own phone it does look really good.
    06-22-09 01:09 AM
    That looks really good. I bought and changed mine to a black trackball and while I don't think I'd have the nerve to do this to my own phone it does look really good.

Lol, Its funny that you should say that because thats exactly what comes to mind when i hear people ordering trackballs opening up the phone and changing the trackballs themselves. Thats what made me think of this workaround. Goes to show you perception is everything. Kudo's to you on being brave enought to open your phone and change the the trackball yourself.
    06-22-09 01:43 AM
    Just did mine again with another marker....this time it also turns out blue when the led is lit....this is awesome, even one of my colleagues, a real iPhone addict...thinks it awesome :P
    06-22-09 05:34 AM
204 ... 56789
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD