I just did it and my ball is hard to maneuver.. only some parts of it is black because i stopped. I used a q tip to take out the excess ink but the cotton came out of of the q tip and got stuck onto the track ball. now my trackball is hard to maneuver but still works though.. sigh. I ordered a new trackball anyways.
    06-03-09 10:52 PM
    I just did it and my ball is hard to maneuver.. only some parts of it is black because i stopped. I used a q tip to take out the excess ink but the cotton came out of of the q tip and got stuck onto the track ball. now my trackball is hard to maneuver but still works though.. sigh. I ordered a new trackball anyways.
    Don't worry thats the excess ink that has it like that. Just continue to use vinegar on the qtip to wipe it down and when it dries, it will at first give that stiff feeling but continue to move it around with your fingers after it fully dries and it will loosen back to normal. For me the entire process was about 15-20 minutes.
    06-03-09 11:47 PM
    OK Girls and Boys - calm down, remember this is all about cheap trackball modding not the size of your wangers!

to put all arguments to rest and to answer a request or two here are some pictures of said trackball in various lighting conditions.

low light - at the bar?

day light - BBQ? sizzle..

Lights out - ooo errr squidge

too close for comfort

BOOM!!! what's stopping you?

NOTE - Vinegar does not go near my blackberry ever! Only on fries - there is no other use - vile stuff!!
    Last edited by g000se; 06-04-09 at 02:36 AM.
    06-04-09 02:23 AM
    OK Girls and Boys - calm down, remember this is all about cheap trackball modding not the size of your wangers!

to put all arguments to rest and to answer a request or two here are some pictures of said trackball in various lighting conditions.

low light - at the bar?

too close for comfort

Take what i said back, it does look like you bought it black.

Makes me wonder if companies hire people who rock with sharpies to black them out themselfs haha.

*Hides wanger*
    06-04-09 02:35 AM
    I just did it ... and it looks million times better!

I used a black permanent marker and wiped off the excess ink with an alcohol wipe.... My trackball looks great now. It was almost brown before .....

Thanks for the idea championart and g000se ....
    06-04-09 03:51 AM
    Here are some pics ...
    06-04-09 04:08 AM
    Don't worry thats the excess ink that has it like that. Just continue to use vinegar on the qtip to wipe it down and when it dries, it will at first give that stiff feeling but continue to move it around with your fingers after it fully dries and it will loosen back to normal. For me the entire process was about 15-20 minutes.
    Just did it right now! did what u said and yes. Perfecto! Thank you!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-04-09 07:02 AM
    Hey, Everyone,
    Okay, First can someone clarify because I would love to try this cheap mod instead of purchasing a new trackball. First off, once the trackball is blacked out with a permanent marker, does the trackball become worn down over time? Does it become de-colorized? Usually when I use permanent market on materials, it the black starts to get worn down overtime and it leaves a nasty residue. Lastly do you see any impairment with the trackball? does it feel exactly the same as it did before you did this process? let us know, well me anyway. =) Thanks!

Mike
    06-04-09 10:32 AM
    That's precisely the reason why I objected to this mod.

I should have known better than to participate in a thread filled with kids who can't afford to buy a damn black trackball. You buy a $600 phone and use a sharpie to color it? GTFO of here.

I'm trying to help others by not doing this ridiculous "mod." This concludes my time in this thread

I'm gonna go "debrand" my Roger's Bold by painting over the word "ROGERS" with a sharpie You guys are the same people who see duct-tape as an all-purpose fix.

Hey, Everyone,
    Usually when I use permanent market on materials, it the black starts to get worn down overtime and it leaves a nasty residue.
    Mike
    06-04-09 10:38 AM
    Coloring your phone with a Sharpie is not a mod. Sorry to burst your bubble.

This thread was great until someone just crapped on it. I've always enjoyed modding things that I own. It's a shame that some people are just full of themselves...
    06-04-09 10:42 AM
    So your telling me that if I use a sharpie and vinegar that i will have no problems with my trackball what so ever and i dont have to take the trackball out of the phone to do it.
    06-04-09 10:43 AM
    I will buy a black one once my warranty is over!
    06-04-09 11:06 AM
    Just did it right now! did what u said and yes. Perfecto! Thank you!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    No prob glad to hear that it turned out well for you. Just a little patience here and there usually does it.

Hey, Everyone,
    Okay, First can someone clarify because I would love to try this cheap mod instead of purchasing a new trackball. First off, once the trackball is blacked out with a permanent marker, does the trackball become worn down over time? Does it become de-colorized? Usually when I use permanent market on materials, it the black starts to get worn down overtime and it leaves a nasty residue. Lastly do you see any impairment with the trackball? does it feel exactly the same as it did before you did this process? let us know, well me anyway. =) Thanks!

Mike
    No it doesn't de-colorize if done properly because what you are essentially doing is dying the trackball. Think of it like this your trackball after many usage naturally turns yellow/brown maybe even black. Now you using the permanent marker is actually darkening what was already going to be a dark color. And yes the the trackball does feel exactly the same as it did before. At first it does feel a little stiff but like i told b_boy2143 all you have to do is just rotated it for a couple of minutes and to loosen it back up. Ask him he'll tell you it worked.
    06-04-09 11:10 AM
    I just did it ... and it looks million times better!

I used a black permanent marker and wiped off the excess ink with an alcohol wipe.... My trackball looks great now. It was almost brown before .....

Thanks for the idea championart and g000se ....
    Looks really nice ST79 glad it worked out for you nice pics.
    06-04-09 11:12 AM

low light - at the bar?

too close for comfort

NOTE - Vinegar does not go near my blackberry ever! Only on fries - there is no other use - vile stuff!!
    Nice pics looks good, vinegar is actually an all purpose substance since the beginning of time lol, nothing vile about it. Alcohol is actually more vile than vinegar. Also when cleaning your trackball it is recommended to use vinegar. Remember you are not soaking it in it if anyone does that even with water its dangerous. But whatever works for you as long as it works and most importantly your'e happy with it which you are.

Forgot to thank you on making this thread so everyone can see how easy it is to do this process and get rid of that Hillbilly Tooth colour trackball had me rotfl with that. Great thread.
    Last edited by championart; 06-04-09 at 01:25 PM.
    06-04-09 11:18 AM
    That's precisely the reason why I objected to this mod.

I should have known better than to participate in a thread filled with kids who can't afford to buy a damn black trackball. You buy a $600 phone and use a sharpie to color it? GTFO of here.

I'm trying to help others by not doing this ridiculous "mod." This concludes my time in this thread

I'm gonna go "debrand" my Roger's Bold by painting over the word "ROGERS" with a sharpie You guys are the same people who see duct-tape as an all-purpose fix.
    Ignore this guy he obviously either got an F in arts and craft class or works for one of these companies that sell these expensive trackballs and is upset that they are no longer needed after everyone hears about how to do this and not void their warranty by purchasing an aftermarket trackball and opening up their phones.

So you buy a $600 phone to open it up and void your warranty by putting in a $15 trackball. Does that make sense? You throw away $600 over $15 Someone needs to go back to finance class. And you would be surprised how many people are using ducktape to fix the creaking of the battery door on this $600 phone. You are probably upset that you didn't find about this method before you voided your warranty.
    Last edited by championart; 06-04-09 at 11:27 AM.
    06-04-09 11:24 AM
    I just did it and it looks great now im just waiting on my bezel to come in the mail...right on G000se and Championart..
    06-04-09 11:42 AM
    I tried this mod last night and it came out nice. The ball is a little rough in the beginning but it goes back to normal after several hours or in my case over night.
    06-04-09 12:31 PM
    yea just buy the black trackball lol
    06-04-09 12:35 PM
    Coloring your phone with a Sharpie is not a mod. Sorry to burst your bubble.
    The word "mod" or modification means (from Merriam-Webster) "the making of a limited change in something; also: the result of such a change."

Whether I write my name on the screen with a sharpie or with paint it still constitutes as a modification.

It's funny that my original post did not mention any names but since you acknowledged it I guess you agree that you crapped on this thread and you're full of yourself.

Anyway, have a good life!
    06-04-09 12:51 PM
    Ignore this guy he obviously either got an F in arts and craft class or works for one of these companies that sell these expensive trackballs and is upset that they are no longer needed after everyone hears about how to do this and not void their warranty by purchasing an aftermarket trackball and opening up their phones.

So you buy a $600 phone to open it up and void your warranty by putting in a $15 trackball. Does that make sense? You throw away $600 over $15 Someone needs to go back to finance class. And you would be surprised how many people are using ducktape to fix the creaking of the battery door on this $600 phone. You are probably upset that you didn't find about this method before you voided your warranty.
    LOL! thank you... LOL
    06-04-09 01:06 PM
    I just did it and it looks great now im just waiting on my bezel to come in the mail...right on G000se and Championart..
    Great, glad to hear that others are having a lot of success with this as i did. To think my teachers told me that my curious mind would get me in trouble one day lol.
    I tried this mod last night and it came out nice. The ball is a little rough in the beginning but it goes back to normal after several hours or in my case over night.
    oh yeah more success stories keep em coming. Yeah its normal that to happen at first, took me a couple of minutes rotating it after it was smooth as silk.

LOL! thank you... LOL
    Yeah that guy has no logic or common sense just hates on the happiness of others for no reason. So far after following my method i have heard no one breaking or ruining there phones. What has me curious now is the color of the ball when it lights up if i use a green, red etc... need another trackball to test this on lol. Maybe i'll snatch someones phone and test it like Sedative did to his friend lol, wonder what was the outcome of that situation lol
    Last edited by championart; 06-04-09 at 01:42 PM.
    06-04-09 01:17 PM

Yeah that guy has no logic or common sense just hates on the happiness of others for no reason. So far after following my method i have heard no one breaking or ruining there phones. What has me curious now is the color of the ball when it lights up if i use a green, red etc... need another trackball to test this on lol. Maybe i'll snatch someones phone and test it like that other guy lol wonder what was the outcome of that situation lol
    yeah... haven't heard from him in a while.... getting kinda worried. **** hath no fury like a woman whos bb has been effed up. lol
    06-04-09 01:40 PM
    yeah... haven't heard from him in a while.... getting kinda worried. **** hath no fury like a woman whos bb has been effed up. lol
    LMAO you are definitely right on that one.
    06-04-09 01:43 PM
    LMAO you are definitely right on that one.
    about a year ago i took those bedazzler jewels and some super glue and bedazzled my best mates pearl. i told him to get the curve, but he wanted the pearl. so i made it more appropriate for his corporate lifestyle. bedazzled yo... now thats a "mod"
    06-04-09 01:56 PM
204 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD