hey guys, on my 9700 (got it in november, right after launch) i am running .442 OS (crappy, need to update it) and my PC is on windows 7 ultimate 32 bit.

for a while now, when i connect my BB via USB, the PC recognizes it, and i can modify the files on my SD card as much as i want, for as long as i want.

BUT if i try to do anythign with DM (backup, load new OS, etc.) it will communicate for a few seconds (generally less than 30) and then stop. the DM still says it is trying to communicate, and my BB shows that it is connected to the DM, but with no send/receive arrows. after a WHILE, it times out.

every single time.

charges fine via USB, SD card works fine via USB. as far as i can see, all of the pins are there.

i have tried a few different computers with the same result.

is this an OS bug?

what should i do? i can probly get it to communicate enough for a bare-bones backup of contacts/etc., and then wipe/reload, but im afraid that if i try that, it may hang up yet again and leave me w/o a phone!!

any ideas? i REALLY need to get rid of this crap OS w/ crap battery life, that keeps giving me 523 errors

thanks CB!
    04-29-10 03:50 PM
    Try a different USB cable. Often times, if you use a cheaper aftermarket USB cord, it will drop the connection...
    04-29-10 06:53 PM
    this is with the cable that came with my device - i dont have access to another micro USB cable.

but why would it access the sd card fine, but time out with the DM??

also - i just got a backup of the things i need, and backed up my apps via BBSAK. so that much is working
    04-29-10 07:07 PM
    On your PC go to Control Panel>Device Manager>Universal Serial Bus controllers and double click USB Root Hub. Then click Power Management. Make sure "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is not checked.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    04-29-10 11:01 PM
    yep, i made sure of that quite some time ago.

seems it was an OS issue - i jsut wiped & loaded the latest OS, and it went fine!!
    04-29-10 11:03 PM
    yep, i made sure of that quite some time ago.

seems it was an OS issue - i jsut wiped & loaded the latest OS, and it went fine!!
    Glad to hear.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    04-29-10 11:10 PM
    also n ow have an extra 20MB file free
    04-29-10 11:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD