As a BBB 9900 user I feel completely disappointed on RIM's strategy on not to provide an upgrade to OS 10 for BB 7 device users.

We all agree that when we bought this device, not long ago, we all had options to go for a much better device from the competitors for the same price if not less. We trusted BB and went for it anyways, and all of us also agree that it wasnt the best of devices that BB ever made. And when the news about a new OS being developed came up, we were all happy that the BB7 users atleast would get to upgrade the new OS10 in their phones, but then this was turned down.

With this strategy what BB has done is let go of its strong customer base, the least BB could have done is to provide a good deal for all the BB7 devices when they purchase a BB10 , . When customers like us trusted BB and went for it even when the others in the market were providing a superior product, we kind of feel cheated now.

I agree that it would be an additional cost to them, but think of the strong customer base that could build, at this stage BB needs that, especially when their BB7 devices was a total disappointment.

Regards,
    Shanmuga Sundaram.S
    02-15-13 11:30 AM
    Yeah blah blah blah. We've known forever that the OS7 phones would never get BB10. Just the way it is.
    02-15-13 11:35 AM
    I think it is because the hardware can't possibly run the new OS without being garbage. If you were really a BB fan you would buy the new device and support them all the more.
    02-15-13 11:38 AM
    BlackBerry was very up front about BB 7 not being able to run BB 10 though. I would say, except for the very early adopters, most other BB 7 owners should have known that BB 10 was not going to come to their devices. In fact sales of BB 7 were hurt by the news that it was going to be an EOL OS. It is too bad but it is what it is. I bought my 9900 knowing full well it would not get BB 10. But I wanted it and it did and still does everything I need it to do and everything it was meant to do. At the end of the day the consumer has the final say on if they get something and it is up to them to make an informed decision.

I think the fact that they are still willing to support BB 7 is a point in their favor actually. They are not abandoning the OS or trying to force BB 7 users over to BB 10.
    02-15-13 01:35 PM
    I think it is because the hardware can't possibly run the new OS without being garbage. If you were really a BB fan you would buy the new device and support them all the more.
    No, that's what the fruit company is about and even Android for their top devices. Getting their fans so excited for whatever reason so every 6 months they get a new device.
    BB has always been for a long term customer satisfaction and should remain so. If they were to push their 'little' public in device swapping every 6-10 months with the condition they are in now they would lose even more market.
    I am still on an os6 device and I do, nor did, not have the need to step over to an os7 just because it was out. That is how loyal fans should feel like unless you happily spend several hundreds of bucks on a toy every couple of months. I prefer my tools to serve well with time.
    02-15-13 06:03 PM
    Just after I bought my new car the manufacturer face lifted the model, I didn't expect an upgrade to be provided. Should I have done?
    divakar likes this.
    02-16-13 05:06 AM
    It is a little disappointing. Previously with each generation a new OS was released (the 9780 never got OS7). Thats just the way it was, a little disappointing yes. But from NOW ON, it wont be. When bb11 hits, the Z10 will get the new OS, thus it'll stay "relevant" longer. The 9900 transition is sad, but BBRY has changed, and from hereon in it will be that way.
    02-16-13 11:21 AM
    Yeah blah blah blah. We've known forever that the OS7 phones would never get BB10. Just the way it is.
    This.

One of the main reasons I still use a OS6 phone. I (like many others) had an option to 'trust' and then be disappointed later but just chose to trust a competitors' device till BB10 is released and gets affordable.

I also disagree with OS7 phones being a total disappointment. It did what was expected of it.
    02-16-13 11:36 AM
    I think BB shoot themselves in the foot with the new OS I mean its now all that. I have an app on the iPhone that will get you to menu without leaving what I'm doing.
    you cant have developers make an app for the this OS now go back and make it for my other ones. the 9930 has over a 1.2 GB processor memory expansible to 32 GB if you wanted a lager ph. you should have just made it bigger with upgrades. you not going to loose 70 plus million user right a way but you aren't going to gain that many right a way either.
    not when it really dose nothing different from what's all ready out there. other then been a BB
    02-16-13 12:38 PM
    I just wish that RIM wouldn't have dumped support for those still using the OS7 devices....
    ...I really miss my ability to get podcasts via the "add channel" in the BB podcast app.
    02-16-13 03:36 PM
    It is still supported... We still have new releases on the OS coming out all the time...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    southlander likes this.
    02-16-13 03:43 PM
    I'm totally disagree with that:

"and all of us also agree that it wasnt the best of devices that BB ever made"

IMHO 9900 is the best device ever existed in terms of hardware. Sure OS7 with all its limitations and problems is quite old comparing to competitors. But hardware (including design) is the best that RIM ever done.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    02-16-13 07:20 PM
    In this situation, i have to love an apple device where the old device such as 3GS can also enjoy they iphone 5 OS.
    shanmuga_s likes this.
    02-16-13 07:44 PM
    And when the news about a new OS being developed came up, we were all happy that the BB7 users atleast would get to upgrade the new OS10 in their phones, but then this was turned down.
    there was never even a hint from rim that os7 phones wouid run bb10.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    02-16-13 07:58 PM
    On the other side of the coin the two year old PLAYBOOK is getting BlackBerry10 ...why? because it can handle it. OS7 devices simply cannot run BlackBerry10.

Who knows though, you may just get an os8 update

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    02-16-13 08:00 PM
    A very stripped down version. Os7 is not a disappointment IMO. it blows any phone out of the water when it comes to messaging and that includes BlackBerry10. If angry birds is your thing then this phone isn't for you. If messages and communications is your thing then this is by far the best device to use. I'm not here to argue this as its my opinion and no one can tell me any different. I may be getting a BlackBerry10 device when they land in the U.S but trust and believe when that happens my 7.1 device isn't going anywhere!!

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    02-16-13 08:04 PM
    os 10 would not even run on that hardware, wasn't designed for it.
    02-16-13 08:58 PM
    I think BB shoot themselves in the foot with the new OS I mean its now all that. I have an app on the iPhone that will get you to menu without leaving what I'm doing.
    you cant have developers make an app for the this OS now go back and make it for my other ones. the 9930 has over a 1.2 GB processor memory expansible to 32 GB if you wanted a lager ph. you should have just made it bigger with upgrades. you not going to loose 70 plus million user right a way but you aren't going to gain that many right a way either.
    not when it really dose nothing different from what's all ready out there. other then been a BB
    One core, two core, slug phone, slick phone. Clock speed is less of a factor, unless you mean to tell me that a 4 GHz Pentium 4 bests a 3 GHz Core i7.

Running BlackBerry 10 on the PlayBook would require quite a bit of optimization, let alone an OS 7 device.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-13 09:26 PM
    os 10 would not even run on that hardware, wasn't designed for it.
    Yes RIM said bb10 required dual core which no current bb other than the playbook has which is why thats the only one that will be updated to bb10 . ( quote from old old post).
    02-16-13 09:51 PM
    As a BBB 9900 user I feel completely disappointed on RIM's strategy on not to provide an upgrade to OS 10 for BB 7 device users.

We all agree that when we bought this device, not long ago, we all had options to go for a much better device from the competitors for the same price if not less. We trusted BB and went for it anyways, and all of us also agree that it wasnt the best of devices that BB ever made. And when the news about a new OS being developed came up, we were all happy that the BB7 users atleast would get to upgrade the new OS10 in their phones, but then this was turned down.

With this strategy what BB has done is let go of its strong customer base, the least BB could have done is to provide a good deal for all the BB7 devices when they purchase a BB10 , . When customers like us trusted BB and went for it even when the others in the market were providing a superior product, we kind of feel cheated now.

I agree that it would be an additional cost to them, but think of the strong customer base that could build, at this stage BB needs that, especially when their BB7 devices was a total disappointment.

Regards,
    Shanmuga Sundaram.S
    Upgrade was NEVER turned down as it was NEVER an option.
    If you didn't know about BB10 at the time and went for that device instead of choosing what you stated as superior products, well that was your decision.
    BB7 devices were in my opinion far superior than any previous BlackBerrys in terms of hardware and performance.

Yes, it does kind of suck to buy something and then have something new and exciting come out and feel bad. It's totally different hardware that won't run on those phones. It has been stated MANY times that BlackBerry is NOT giving up on it's former BlackBerry devices.

I understand that you are disappointed but I don't think they need to offer special upgraded pricing. Especially in this crucial attempt to save themselves.
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    02-16-13 10:14 PM
    In this situation, i have to love an apple device where the old device such as 3GS can also enjoy they iphone 5 OS.
    But what about the original Ipad that is barely 2 years old...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=15&tstart=0
    02-16-13 11:30 PM
    i had the first ipad too. but it's fair enough since it is a first generation of ipad. We are not talking the first generation of BB to support OS10. LoL
    02-17-13 02:51 AM
    If my BB9900 makes it to the end of my contract and it still works as new, I am happy. The question for me is whether the Q-10 warrants an upgrade from my 9900.
    02-17-13 01:29 PM
    i had the first ipad too. but it's fair enough since it is a first generation of ipad. We are not talking the first generation of BB to support OS10. LoL
    Counting by "generation" is ridiculous. It's roughly the same age as the PlayBook.
    02-17-13 01:31 PM

Regards,
    Shanmuga Sundaram.S
    It's disingenuous for you to be playing the "trust card". When you bought your OS 7 device, it was common knowledge what it was capable of. I can't say I've ever heard of someone being disappointed for purchasing a device that didn't so something that it was never intended to do in the first place. BlackBerry never gave any indication that devices running OS 7 would or could be ever upgraded to OS 10, so you should not have had any expectation that would ever happen, even it it was feasible, which it is not. The reality is that IF they ported OS 10 to OS 7 devices, you would not be happy with the result, because OS 7 devices don't have enough computing power and they were never designed to support OS 10, which has a completely different architecture and a different loader. Not to mention that OS 10 does not support buttons. This was the case with the original Bold that came with OS 5. BlackBerry offered an upgrade to OS 6. Some people upgraded them to OS 6 and they were not happy so I left mine at OS 5. It's also the case with many android phones. I know someone who had a Nexus S (recently replaced with a Nexus 4). When he installed the upgrade for ICS, the phone was sluggish, because it didn't have enough computing power. It's the same with the old iphones. If BlackBarry wasted their resources to port OS 10 to legacy devices, no one would be happy with the result. You need to get over this. It will never happen. There is no way it even could happen. You were seriously mistaken if you purchased an OS 7 device in the expectation that BlackBerry would be offering an upgrade to OS 10.
    shanmuga_s and Thunderbuck like this.
    02-17-13 02:24 PM
38 12