Hi all, I have a Tour (VZW) right now and I may be switching to the 9650. I know the documented changes between the devices (Wifi/trackpad etc.) but I was wondering if any of you that had the Tour and switched to the Bold noticed any other changes in performance.

For example, I read in the "what do you like least" topic that a lot of people seem to have issues with the volume and the strength of the vibration function on the 9650. I haven't had any issues with those with the Tour, but I'm wondering if it's just a matter of opinion or if people that had the Tour actually noticed a comparative decrease in volume or vibration strength.

Thanks in advance!
    06-19-10 01:14 PM
    Sorry for double post, but I was also wondering if Tour owners that switched to Bold noticed a significant speed increase when using Wifi on the native browser. The reason I ask is because I noticed that when I tether the connection to a PC, pages load much faster than they do over the network on my handset, which makes me wonder if it's the network that's slow, or if it's just the native browser/hardware that is slow. Just curious of what the "bottleneck" is on these phones.
    06-19-10 01:16 PM
    I've noticed a slight increase in speed when using Opera Mini... but it's offset by having to treat the trackpad as if I'm performing delicate radial keratotomy eye surgery.

I only use vibration when the handset is in my holster and, even then, only 50% of my notifications use it. However, I haven't noticed a difference there or with volume on mine.

A theme that I loved had a lot of lag on my Tour but runs perfectly on this Bold, so for me, that alone was worth the upgrade.
    06-19-10 04:34 PM
    Definitely worth the upgrade! I've noticed all the programs run better, faster with very little wait time! Track pad is amazing, WIFI makes downloading files very easy. I actually like the way the 9650 vibration feels and haven't missed any calls or notifications because I didn't feel or heard the tone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-19-10 04:44 PM
    I upgraded as well and none of the issues that were mentioned have been a problem. Overall I like the feel/speed of the Bold a lot more. The vibrate and volume are pretty much the same as the Tour if not better. I would say that if you are worried about it make sure that you try before you buy to make sure.

06-19-10 05:52 PM
    The vibration on my 9650 is pretty much the same as my Tour. it won't blow you away and it not as strong as my 9550, but i def feel it in my pocket and hear it when sitting on the table next to me.
    06-19-10 05:57 PM
    I love the 9650 came from a 9630, trackpad is great, some said the sensitivity was an issue, you can adjust it you know!
    06-19-10 06:13 PM
    I came from Tour to Bold and I've noticed the battery door fits better. The one on my Tour, which had the revised battery door, was loose and wiggled when I typed. Bold feels solid and sturdy in my hands.

Thnrocks is right on with the apps running nice and smooth. I have loaded more apps on this device than any of the other berries I had before.

The trackpad is a huge improvement over trackball. Take the plunge, you won't be sorry.

06-19-10 06:30 PM
    I'm wondering if a lot of the complaints about the vibration come from people that have their phones in covers. Because I have one of those gel covers on my Tour and I have a very hard time feeling the vibration when its in my pocket. I think the cover absorbs a lot of it.
    Last edited by loki993; 06-20-10 at 10:53 AM.
    06-20-10 10:45 AM
    I just pulled out my Tour and did a comparison with my Bold, and wow, I did not notice that the vibration and ringer on the Tour was a lot more than the Bold...but the differences were barely minute
    06-20-10 11:00 AM
    My Tour died last week and they replaced it with the BOLD. I love it so far. But...does anyone else notice the battery life is less than they had on the Tour?
    I set it to the same settings as I had on the Tour (lower backlight, timer turn off after 10 seconds, etc.) and also don't have it on WiFi unless I'm in a place with WiFi.
    06-20-10 01:26 PM
    i just got my Bold and come to find out that my old 9630 otterbox case fits perfectly. Weird since the forum posts said it wouldn't. Anyway, it was a welcome change. Wifi and the pad was enough for me to upgrade and I have noticed how well native apps load and operate together. Battery life is on par but its only been two days. We'll see.
    06-20-10 01:58 PM
    "I've noticed a slight increase in speed when using Opera Mini... but it's offset by having to treat the trackpad as if I'm performing delicate radial keratotomy eye surgery."

That's funny!
    06-20-10 03:04 PM
    i just got my Bold and come to find out that my old 9630 otterbox case fits perfectly. Weird since the forum posts said it wouldn't. Anyway, it was a welcome change. Wifi and the pad was enough for me to upgrade and I have noticed how well native apps load and operate together. Battery life is on par but its only been two days. We'll see.
    Which Otterbox? I've the Defender for my Tour (well, they graciously sent me another of their models when the original Otter did not fit the tour properly). I had heard the charging port was slightly offset from the Tour's??

Mine should arrive on Tues.
    06-20-10 03:26 PM
    Does anyone have any trouble with using the Bold to tether to their Laptop running windows 7 64-bit? I use verizon tethering and currently have a tour, but it locks up the phone when I get off, doesn't matter if it's actually corded or bluetoothed. It also has trouble when switching to my phone after using my usb modem card. I am looking to change to the Bold and I am hoping these issues are resolved with the Bold's OS. These problems have only gotten worse on the new build with the Tour.
    06-20-10 04:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD