So would it make sense to use an unlocked Onyx on Verizon or will there be the same issues (i.e., won't be at optimal speed due to network differences)?

I'm in a 2 year contract with Verizon, and I was wondering if I should order the Tour or use an Onyx on Verizon?
    The Onyx won't work on Verizon.It's a GSM-only device.No CDMA radio on it. Verizon's Tour will work on AT&T because it has both CDMA and GSM radios installed.You'll need to get the Tour's GSM side unlocked first to allow it to use US GSM bands(850 & 1900mhz).
    07-16-09 09:16 AM
    The Onyx won't work on Verizon.It's a GSM-only device.No CDMA radio on it. Verizon's Tour will work on AT&T because it has both CDMA and GSM radios installed.You'll need to get the Tour's GSM side unlocked first to allow it to use US GSM bands(850 & 1900mhz).
    Doh! Well that makes sense. Tour it is! Thanks for the heads up!
    07-16-09 09:21 AM
    you rather it be on verizon? also you favor it over the bold? is ATT service in your area wack hence the reason you are hating on ATT? It is also smaller than the bold and tour. is that an issue at all for typing.I have big *** hands and the bold is a good size 4 me
    AT&T was horrible in NYC. I used it for a week then went back to Big Red.
    07-16-09 11:00 AM
    So much stuff to keep up with!
    07-16-09 01:00 PM
    you rather it be on verizon? also you favor it over the bold? is ATT service in your area wack hence the reason you are hating on ATT? It is also smaller than the bold and tour. is that an issue at all for typing.I have big *** hands and the bold is a good size 4 me
    I'm not hatting on ATT, its just that I never have signal. I used to live in NY and it was really bad, and now I live in CA. I brought my ATT phone with me and still nothing. I switched to VERIZON and I'm the happiest person in the world. Whenever I go back to NY service is still impeccable.

As far as the size of the keyboard goes:

If you can use a TOUR then you'll be fine. The keyboard is exactly as big as the TOUR (except for the bottom row, but still really easy to access with your fingers) and the layout of the keyboard is amazing. Its easier to type in my ONYX than in my TOUR. I still love both phones though, but if you are with AT&T, and you like it, don't switch to Verizon for the TOUR (If you are patient) wait for the ONYX, because that phone is really slick and sexy
    07-16-09 02:26 PM
    Tour doesn't have wifi, that's a big difference
    07-16-09 02:28 PM
    Also, its my understanding (and empirical tests agree) that CDMA can penetrate buildings/parking garages better than GSM.

Find a home with a metal roof where you have full bars outside the door with your GSM phone (T-Mobile/AT$T). Once you enter the home your signal is zero. With CDMA you're fine (Sprint/VZW).
    Ditto an underground parking garage, etc.
    thank you for conveying your understanding. but 850mhz gsm is just as good at penetrating buildings as cdma. 1900mhz does suck though.
    07-16-09 07:44 PM
    I'm not hatting on ATT, its just that I never have signal. I used to live in NY and it was really bad, and now I live in CA. I brought my ATT phone with me and still nothing. I switched to VERIZON and I'm the happiest person in the world. Whenever I go back to NY service is still impeccable.

As far as the size of the keyboard goes:

If you can use a TOUR then you'll be fine. The keyboard is exactly as big as the TOUR (except for the bottom row, but still really easy to access with your fingers) and the layout of the keyboard is amazing. Its easier to type in my ONYX than in my TOUR. I still love both phones though, but if you are with AT&T, and you like it, don't switch to Verizon for the TOUR (If you are patient) wait for the ONYX, because that phone is really slick and sexy
    Fo sho. Ill stick with ATT. Better phones
    07-17-09 06:48 AM
    Tour doesn't have wifi, that's a big difference
    That has been mentioned twice already in this thread.
    07-17-09 11:24 AM
    Sadly you are right! I'm just saying this because I need service at all times, so I have to use VERIZON as my service provider, otherwise I would be on the AT&T band wagon FO SO! LOL
    07-17-09 02:06 PM
    and higher plan prices. I'll stick with Sprint. You pay for a phone once. You pay your service fee every month.
    07-17-09 10:16 PM
    The Onyx will be perfect for me. I have been lucky with my ATT service for my area. I hope it stays that way!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-09 08:09 PM
    both are badass phones get both =P
    07-25-09 10:38 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD