Hey All,

I have a storm and am looking at some of the other phones (not sure if the touch screen works for me). Whats the major difference between the Niagara and Onyx. I tried to find some info on this but couldnt.

Thanks
    06-13-09 12:13 PM
    onyx is on gsm carriers so you can talk and data at the same time.
    onyx has wifi
    onyx will probably have a optical track pad instead of a ball
    and also I think at&t will soon upgrade to HSPA (or something like that, I don't know what it means yet) but I Think it will have faster data.
    06-13-09 12:20 PM
    onyx is on gsm carriers so you can talk and data at the same time.
    onyx has wifi
    onyx will probably have a optical track pad instead of a ball
    and also I think at&t will soon upgrade to HSPA (or something like that, I don't know what it means yet) but I Think it will have faster data.
    I am assuming that Verizon will not be picking up this phone. Im a little confused as to what GSM is. They say that the tour cannot have voice and data at the same time. So for example, that would mean that you couldn't be on the phone and internet at the same time. But would that mean that you couldn't receive for example a text message at the same time that your on the phone. I know that the storm can do that. Sorry if I sound like an *****

P.S. the ***** was supposed to say Id*ot. WOW i can believe they edited that HA
    06-13-09 12:24 PM
    verizon and sprint are cdma carriers. At&t and tmobile are gsm carriers. If you look in the storm book (I just got rid of a storm) it lists the network types.

the top of the list it says 3G, second it says 1XEV. 1XEV is verizons 3G but its not as good, that's why its second on that list.

Even on my blackjack, I can talk and browse at the same time. and send/recieve sms or mms messages. but I think the upside to cdma is you can still get good signals in rural areas. (maybe im wrong, but there is balance, because alot of folks prefer it.)

Anyway this is all stuff I've learned in the past 3 weeks so keep in mind you have another underclassman giving you this info.

oh and addressing the first part, t-mobile version of onyx (currently called "driftwood") might come out in september, with at&t getting it a month or 2 later (maybe, even maybe-er than the tour) but I do believe this is a gsm only device.
    Last edited by boobah204; 06-13-09 at 12:37 PM. Reason: forgetfulness
    06-13-09 12:34 PM
    The biggest difference is speed. The Onyx is faster in every way shape and form. I also think it looks better, but that's opinion. The Tour is a hybrid device with both CDMA & GSM, whereas the Onyx is soley GSM. The device software is different as well. The Onyx is smaller also. Let us know if you need any more information on the differences.
    06-13-09 06:10 PM
    whats the specs of the onyx anyways just asking
    06-13-09 07:08 PM
    c-x or anyone can you direct to a thread (or explain in small words) the differences between CDMA & GSM?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-13-09 09:46 PM
    CDMA - Verizon/Sprint/Telus/Bell for the most part, uses ESN/MEID to authenticate to the network

GSM - 80%+ of the World's carriers, uses a SIM card to authenticate to the network
    06-13-09 09:49 PM
    what reason do people have to prefer CDMA?

06-14-09 11:07 AM
    None really, its all about preference. I guess it just matters the kind of coverage of the CDMA carrier in your area.

With GSM phones you can travel the world with them because it has a sim card in it and can use connections all around the world. CDMA can only work in the U.S. for example if on Verizon. The Tour will have a slot for a SIM Card so say if you leave the country you can put a SIM card in it and it will work around the world. Verizon, Sprint, and other CDMA carriers call phones like the Tour, world phones. However, ATT and T Mobile all they have are world phones.

In my opinion GSM is better, but thats also in my area. If you're looking to switch into a GSM network for the Onyx/Driftwood I think it would be a good choice and you'll be satisfied but just make sure you check 3g coverage in your area and overall coverage. You don't want to wind up with crappy service. I switched from Verizon to Tmobile (tmobile coverage sucks here) and i'm regretting it. ATT is the absolute best where I live so i switched to ATT from T Mobile but i'm still on a gsm network and still getting the Onyx!
    06-14-09 02:30 PM
    None really, its all about preference. I guess it just matters the kind of coverage of the CDMA carrier in your area.

With GSM phones you can travel the world with them because it has a sim card in it and can use connections all around the world. CDMA can only work in the U.S. for example if on Verizon. The Tour will have a slot for a SIM Card so say if you leave the country you can put a SIM card in it and it will work around the world. Verizon, Sprint, and other CDMA carriers call phones like the Tour, world phones. However, ATT and T Mobile all they have are world phones.

In my opinion GSM is better, but thats also in my area. If you're looking to switch into a GSM network for the Onyx/Driftwood I think it would be a good choice and you'll be satisfied but just make sure you check 3g coverage in your area and overall coverage. You don't want to wind up with crappy service. I switched from Verizon to Tmobile (tmobile coverage sucks here) and i'm regretting it. ATT is the absolute best where I live so i switched to ATT from T Mobile but i'm still on a gsm network and still getting the Onyx!
    The U.S. isn't the only CDMA country in the world; Brazil, India to name a few others...
    06-14-09 07:54 PM

Just to let you know, Tour comes with a Sim Card, just like the BB storm as well, its not optional, its comes with the sim card
    06-14-09 08:14 PM
    Also, its my understanding (and empirical tests agree) that CDMA can penetrate buildings/parking garages better than GSM.

Find a home with a metal roof where you have full bars outside the door with your GSM phone (T-Mobile/AT$T). Once you enter the home your signal is zero. With CDMA you're fine (Sprint/VZW).
    Ditto an underground parking garage, etc.
    06-15-09 08:41 AM
    Think the onyx have wifi and the tour does not, seems a major difference too

DS
    06-16-09 02:16 PM
    I thought that it was one uses a "Sim Card" and the other doesn't??

Like I think you can unlock the phone and use a sim card locally all over the world. Meaning if I went to India I could get a local sim for a month and use it, then if I go to Australia I get a local Vodafone sim or something and use it there.

Aren't non-sim phones created specifically for the company? Or am I just taking out of my *** here?
    06-16-09 05:09 PM
    The tour will be a prize winner for verizon and the onyx will be a prize winner for att. Both of them are rock solid.

06-16-09 11:01 PM
    if the Tour uses a Sim card why not unlock it and goto Att/Tmo or any other GSM carrier?
    07-13-09 09:49 PM
    if the Tour uses a Sim card why not unlock it and goto Att/Tmo or any other GSM carrier?
    The Tour does not have the radio for North American 3G. Unlocked, you will only be able to use EDGE on AT&T and T-Mo. Also AT&T and T-Mo use different 3G frequencies.
    07-14-09 01:12 AM
    CDMA technology is used by Verizon and Sprint here in the United States, along with a host of other regional carriers, while GSM technology is used most notably by AT&T and T-Mobile. GSM is the world standard for mobile phone technology, so if a phone has bands 850/900/1800/1900 it will practically work anywhere in the world. Verizon and Sprint often have to release phones as "World Edition" with these bands included and often HSPA 2100 for overseas (mostly for 3G technology in Europe and Asia). HSDPA and HSUPA is faster than Verizon's and Sprint's 3G networks and allows for simultaneous voice and data. AT&T's 3G bands are 850/1900 while T-Mobile's are 1700/2100. Also, to the people who think CDMA is only used in the U.S., I know for sure it is used in Canada.
    07-14-09 08:46 PM
    The biggest difference is speed. The Onyx is faster in every way shape and form. I also think it looks better, but that's opinion. The Tour is a hybrid device with both CDMA & GSM, whereas the Onyx is soley GSM. The device software is different as well. The Onyx is smaller also. Let us know if you need any more information on the differences.
    yah what he said onyx ownz you heheh

gimme 5 !
    07-14-09 08:53 PM
    The ONYX can fly
    07-14-09 08:58 PM
    If the onyx definitely comes to t-mobile I'll definitely be grabbing it. I won't buy another trackball phone. EVER. But what I don't like about the onyx is the bottom row of keys being shortened.

Kevin! Tell RIM to give us back the full sized bottom row!

Seriously, it seems kind of small. In use is it not that bad?
    07-15-09 12:39 AM
    If the onyx definitely comes to t-mobile I'll definitely be grabbing it. I won't buy another trackball phone. EVER. But what I don't like about the onyx is the bottom row of keys being shortened.

Kevin! Tell RIM to give us back the full sized bottom row!

Seriously, it seems kind of small. In use is it not that bad?
    The ONYX (I have the one with a trackball) is the best phone I've ever had! Its a shame its a GSM phone, because I have to go through AT&T (which is HORRENDOUS). Otherwise it would be my primarily phone without a doubt.

Even though the bottom row has smaller keys, the way the keyboard was made is by far the best keyboard layout EVER.

I'm truly obsessed with the ONYX, its just a shame that I have to go through AT&T.
    07-15-09 12:45 AM
    The ONYX (I have the one with a trackball) is the best phone I've ever had! Its a shame its a GSM phone, because I have to go through AT&T (which is HORRENDOUS). Otherwise it would be my primarily phone without a doubt.

Even though the bottom row has smaller keys, the way the keyboard was made is by far the best keyboard layout EVER.

I'm truly obsessed with the ONYX, its just a shame that I have to go through AT&T.
    you rather it be on verizon? also you favor it over the bold? is ATT service in your area wack hence the reason you are hating on ATT? It is also smaller than the bold and tour. is that an issue at all for typing.I have big *** hands and the bold is a good size 4 me
    07-15-09 06:44 AM
    The Tour does not have the radio for North American 3G. Unlocked, you will only be able to use EDGE on AT&T and T-Mo. Also AT&T and T-Mo use different 3G frequencies.
    So would it make sense to use an unlocked Onyx on Verizon or will there be the same issues (i.e., won't be at optimal speed due to network differences)?

I'm in a 2 year contract with Verizon, and I was wondering if I should order the Tour or use an Onyx on Verizon?
    07-16-09 08:53 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD