3G and that's pretty much it??

Should I go ahead and get the 8900 or wait for the Onyx/Driftwood?
    07-20-09 12:22 AM
    If you're with T-mobile get the 8900, if not and you're at ATT still get the 8900, lol. The onyx is beautiful and it should use the new optical sensor versus the trackball. The only other major difference is it will also utilize 3G, so if 3G is dire for you, then wait for a couple months, which is like years for us blackberry addicts, or delve in right now with the super awesome amazing curve 8900. Good luck
    07-20-09 12:29 AM
    Yea, that would be part of the problem, I can't decide if the 3G would be worth it for me. I'm dying to get the 8900 lol.
    07-20-09 12:31 AM
    I'm currently not a BB user, although about 4? years ago I did install a BES and had a few of the early BBs on trial - looked like a calculator, was blue in colour, think it was one of the first to come out with a colour (just basic VGA) screen. And at the time wouldn't have dreamt of having one for personal use. But now things are different

I currently own the N95 8GB, and my contract is up in September although I can upgrade early, so I've been thinking about what to get next. My choice come down to N97, or a blackberry device - don't know which BB though as I didn't know the differences.

Took a look at the Storm in the vodafone shop, didn't really like the touch screen, and it seemed a bit jerky when scrolling through the sample photos. Also had a play with a Bold, but it felt too bulky and I don't like the leather backing. They also had a Curve 8900, but it wasn't active so I could only hold it and not play with it, but I assumed it would only be like the bold anyhow. If it wasn't for the fact they told me it didn't have 3G i'd be in the progress of upgrading and getting the Curve already. Do I use 3G? I don't know... I use both internet and WiFi on my N95 - but how am I to know if I'm utilising 3G or GPRS when browsing/downloading? - it's something I don't pay attention to. And how long has 3G been out for now!! Why would I want to downgrade? I'd already be going from 5mp camera to 3.1/3.2 - although I do believe the mechanical auto focus makes a big difference...?

So, since having discovered crackberry, I'm in the same position as you. Do I torcher myself and wait for the 9020 (Onyx) (patients is not one of my virtues), or do I do the stupid thing and get the 8900 now with my upgrade, but then buy the 9020 from the proceeds of the N95 & 8900?

I must also add that my decision to go for BB opposed to the N97 or HTC Magic, or the iPhone (without even seeing them) is partially because of this site - so many people on here seem very pleased and happy with BB's as devices - what better testament. Makes a change from all the complaints from Nokia users on their forums where a bugs are reported, and met with ignorance and no intentions of fixing (one of my worries if I went for an N97). Also friends which own BB's all say they're great. From this site I get the impression they're very stable, and that BB are quite customer focused....

So, peoples thoughts?
    07-20-09 09:16 AM
    the keyboard is different between the 8900 and the onyx. that is the key feature keeping me from getting an onyx when it comes out.
    07-21-09 04:47 AM
    FWIW I came from a 9000 and actually like the 8900 slightly better, despite it not having 3G, so I likely wont worry too much about the Onyx/Driftwood whenever it they do come out since I've already had a 3G Blackberry and it wasn't a big deal to me. All other major hardware specs are rumored to be equal to the 8900, and I'm not too thrilled with how that trackpad looks.
    07-21-09 03:58 PM
    Yea, that would be part of the problem, I can't decide if the 3G would be worth it for me. I'm dying to get the 8900 lol.
    So if you decide 3G is important you may have an issue. T-Mobile doesn't have much in terms of size of a 3G network so for many the difference between the 8900 and 9020 on TMOs network will be negligible...

PG
    07-21-09 10:32 PM
    So if you decide 3G is important you may have an issue. T-Mobile doesn't have much in terms of size of a 3G network so for many the difference between the 8900 and 9020 on TMOs network will be negligible...

PG
    well it depends where the person lives. plus the tmo 3g coverage is growing as we speak
    07-23-09 12:49 AM
    well it depends where the person lives. plus the tmo 3g coverage is growing as we speak
    Agreed it is growing but they are building it in the big city and doing it in the upper bands. If you are in a big city and you don't ever need to use 3G outside the downtown areas then you're fine....
    07-23-09 10:53 PM
    3G and that's pretty much it??

Should I go ahead and get the 8900 or wait for the Onyx/Driftwood?
    07-24-09 01:29 AM
    If you have the chance... absolutely and without a doubt the ONYX is superior and way sexier than the 8900.
    07-24-09 01:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD