View Poll Results: Did your Bold 9700 come with a defect(s) out of the box?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and it's an AT&T 9700

4 5.97%
  • Yes, but its not an AT&T 9700

14 20.90%
  • None, and it's an AT&T 9700

18 26.87%
  • None

31 46.27%
    My "BACK" button creaks when I press it.
    06-07-10 09:14 AM
    Going back for #14 to tomorrow. The current one is made in Canada, not Mexico like all the rest, and has the followng defects:

-trackpad lean forward & left
    -sunken trackpad
    -broken lock button
    -broken mute button

after doing 2 weeks of research, here's whAt I discovered:

Most are made in Mexico, then Hungary, and least in Canada

Canadian models have least problems

Trackpad feels bad and has problems on 9700 as it sits on a pedestal, which is why it's wobbley, and leans. Also there's a ribbon connector that induces the lean. as it was intended for a trackball, but was given a pad at the last minute. The new curves with a trackpad have an entire housing, which makes it stable.

Literally 9/10 9700 owners have problems. RIM needs to do something. If they indeed do release a 9700 version 2, I pray it has a trackpad housing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    where can i check where my bold is made from?
    06-07-10 12:56 PM
    where can i check where my bold is made from?
    1. It's printed on a label on the outside of the box in which the phone arrived.

2. This information also appears in a less convenient location, on the bottom edge of a label which lies UNDER the phone's battery.
    06-07-10 03:13 PM
    After my 6th, going on 7th 9700 in less than two weeks, I'm starting to think its not just a coincidence I have been getting defective phones. I'm not sure if its just the AT&T ones, or 9700's in general. Thanks to all of you guys for participating in advance, I truly appreciate it.
    No issues here. My 9000 was a p.o.s.

06-07-10 05:55 PM
    Battery used to decline fast, and key 9/C was a bit tricky on pressing. Touchpad was feeling a bit "sticky" on the finger. the Lock and Mute keys were more like stuck rather than easy-to-be-pressed. I replaced it and everything is fine now!
    06-07-10 06:06 PM
    Ask for a made in Hungary one. Had my 9000 BOLD for 2 years and dropped it thousands of times, water in it, still rock solid. 3 of my friends have a 9700 and 2 of them are from hungary and 1 from Mexico. The guys who have theirs from Hungary have no problems whatsoever, the other one had to go through 3 before he got one from Hungary and he has been fine ever since.
    tbh, I think that ALL 9700s are made in Hungary... we had more that 20 solf, and I had more than 4 (2 from voda, one from UK one from Greece, the other 2 fom expansys), and all of them were made in Hungary.
    06-07-10 06:09 PM
    tbh, I think that ALL 9700s are made in Hungary... we had more that 20 solf, and I had more than 4 (2 from voda, one from UK one from Greece, the other 2 fom expansys), and all of them were made in Hungary.
    Mines from Canada, and its a rock.
    06-07-10 07:45 PM
    No so. I've got one of the good 9700s and it's made in Mexico.
    06-07-10 08:20 PM
    No so. I've got one of the good 9700s and it's made in Mexico.
    mine is made in Mexico too. when i slightly tilt the trackpad to the south, it creaks, and my space bar feels like the left side is higher than the right side. the only two things i noticed.
    06-07-10 08:40 PM
    5 months in and been flawless...well minus the paint wearing off keys, but I nail type..have too.

Been the best phone I have ever had. Amazing how many people are so OCD or really have had serious problems....

06-07-10 11:27 PM
    i'd have to say i have none of the problems above, however the lock button seems harder to press than the mute button lol, doesnt really bother me though
    06-08-10 01:30 AM
    After the 4 refurb's I purchased a new 9700 thinking it would be flawless; it wasn't. After going through 12 phones both in the stores, and taking some home, I have FINALLY gotten a PERFECT 9700, AND its made in Mexico!!!
    The last two, before my current one, were made in Canada, and had both the trackpad and mute/lock button defect mentioned above. The current one I have that seems 100% perfect (::knock on wood: was surprisingly made in mexico. After unfortunately going through more 9700's than I ever wanted to, I have come to this conclusion:

Like everything else in this world, there's good and bad in everything. Some phones made in mexico, canada, hungary, are good and some are bad; though it seems the majority of all of them are bad/defected in some way.

If your's works, please take my word for it. BE EXTRA CAREFUL WITH IT!!! You may not get another good one again. I went through 16 to get a perfect one; I hope none of you ever have to go through this. To call this experience unfortunate, an inconvenience, or anything along those lines is a complete understatement. As a business owner of several international companies who really depends on his BB for everyday calls/emails, the past two weeks from ****. I haven't been able to backup everyday, as some phones just would't back. I am literally saying a prayer tonight, and I'm sure I will again, that my phones doesnt have any problems.

I don't know about you guys, but I can't wait for the next gen 9700, as I'm positive it will have a trackpad assembly, instead of idiotically being placed on a pedestal that was intended for a trackball, and improvised at the last minute.

RIM: Please don't do this again. If I didn't NEED a BB for work, I would have canceled all 248 lines I have employees use, and switched to iPhones. I'm sure there are several users on this blog that would have stopped using this model as well, if it weren't so good.

Good luck to all of you guys with perfect devices.

To all of you who have a defective device: I feel your pain 16 fold lol
    06-08-10 03:56 AM
    Got mine from O2 UK a few weeks ago and it's been by far the best phone I've owned (apart from the camera, but I knew that before I got it). It's rock solid and working perfectly.

06-08-10 05:33 AM
    My 9700 is on T Mobile uk and mine worked straight out of the box with no issues at all....
    06-08-10 07:48 AM
    OK, I wrote out a nice long reply earlier and, well, it never showed up....

Let me try again:

I've had my 9700 (AT&T) for a little over a week. It's the most solid phone I've ever owned other than a Motorola bag phone from the early 90's! This is my 4th BB (7100, 8300, 9000, 9700) and, by far the best built of them all.

My GF has had her 9700 since January. Other than a few issue with lockups that were fixed with an OS update, there have been no problems with it. This is her first BB and her only complaint is it's not touch screen, and her only regret is that she's under a 2 year contract and just found out about the 9800!!!
    06-08-10 01:05 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD