View Poll Results: did u set password for your bb?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

43 55.13%
  • No

35 44.87%
05-29-09 01:14 AM
65 123
tools
    I use a four-digit password on the right side of the keyboard that takes me literally less than 2 seconds - right-handed - to key and press enter. I don't even notice that I do it any more.
    05-28-09 06:54 PM
    A password for sure. I wouldn't even trust my own mother to get into my phone.
    05-28-09 06:57 PM
    what happens after 10 attempts and no good password?
    Your phone resets and is just like it came out of the box all contacts and info are gone for good.
    05-28-09 07:02 PM
    Your phone resets and is just like it came out of the box all contacts and info are gone for good.
    Unless you have a stored backup at least (on your PC).
    05-28-09 07:03 PM
    You bet your BERRY I do.
    05-28-09 07:09 PM
    Unless you have a stored backup at least (on your PC).
    Agreed but in my experience a lot of ppl don't back their phone up on a regular basis.
    05-28-09 07:17 PM
    Ok thanks for the info. Does it take 10 times each time, or is it a collective 10 over the life of the phone? I just put one on and wanna make sure!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-09 09:51 PM
    Yes. It's mm$$

05-28-09 10:08 PM
    nope, no password. why put so much personal data/info on your handheld device, which may have the chance of being stolen or loss and someone may be able to retrieve the information from it. im pretty sure there are aggressive ways to break your password and they will still be able to access your phone and do whatever they want with it.
    05-28-09 10:08 PM
    I use a four-digit password on the right side of the keyboard that takes me literally less than 2 seconds - right-handed - to key and press enter. I don't even notice that I do it any more.
    Another mm$$ disciple...

05-28-09 10:09 PM
    nope, no password. why put so much personal data/info on your handheld device, which may have the chance of being stolen or loss and someone may be able to retrieve the information from it. im pretty sure there are aggressive ways to break your password and they will still be able to access your phone and do whatever they want with it.
    That is true... I mean what are they going to do with my data anyway? Call my friends and clients and show up at my appointments? I just want to slow someone down long enough to have the PIN blocked and or give them an incentive to actually follow my instructions on my welcome screen, which offers them a reward for return...

05-28-09 10:13 PM
    Ok thanks for the info. Does it take 10 times each time, or is it a collective 10 over the life of the phone? I just put one on and wanna make sure!

10 attempts per lock. So, say you lock it, screw up your password 5 times but get it on the 4th. The next time you lock you'll have 10 attempts again

05-28-09 10:16 PM
    I didn't at first but my boyfriend brought it to my attention some of the rather personal things that are on my beloved, life holding blackberry. So, yes I've definitely got a password. Good 4 digit 4 letter combo. just in case.

05-28-09 10:22 PM
    I didn't at first but my boyfriend brought it to my attention some of the rather personal things that are on my beloved, life holding blackberry. So, yes I've definitely got a password. Good 4 digit 4 letter combo. just in case.

good for u

05-29-09 01:12 AM
    Does anyone know if you can make it any longer, say two hours. That would be perfect.
    Not to my knowledge. But is it really that inconvenient to enter a quick password if you haven't so much as TOUCHED the phone in over an hour?

If you don't want it to lock, just mash the trackball in your pocket every so often. My backlight is set to turn off after 20 idle seconds, and AutoLock (free and so simple it doesn't even have an icon) locks my keys 15 seconds after the backlight turns off. if I don't touch my phone for 35 seconds, I have to enter a password. What a pain right?

Well, set your password to a combination of T's and Y's and you can find the keys totally blind, one-handed, in the dark simply by thumbing down from the track ball, rocking your thumb back and forth on those two keys in the appropriate pattern and then back to the trackball to enter. Maybe it'll take you a single second to enter it, if you haven't had your coffee yet. Or make it CVBNM$... find the C key even with the phone in your pocket by sliding your thumb up the groove from the left side of the spacebar and then just swipe all the way over to the enter key. The same motion as an iPhone requires when NO password is set. Less than a second to enter. If your thumb is long enough to reach the far side of the keyboard, set it to QASW and use a single circle that you could do a hundred times a minute with your eyes closed. Start on the raised bump on the D key and make your password DFGHY, so after the fourth click you slide up to the trackball to enter it. Or rock from Alt to the left Shift key to lock numbers and make your password 741#, which is harder to guess anyway... some of these things are seriously easier than fumbling for the * + call button or whatever the default is when no password is set (sorry, it's been a while since I saw this thing without a password ).

Everyone is free to do as they please, but in my honest opinion, there's no good argument not to lock your phone, I don't care how old you are or what you store on your phone. In less than 5 minutes with your unlocked phone I will have your email address. If you use the facebook app, I can change all of the settings in your account by logging into the mobile site directly from the Facebook app, without even being prompted for a password, and have your phone put back where I found it before you could get to a bathroom and back. Someone playing a practical joke could set your password and lock you out of your own phone and force a complete wipe. Someone who plans on walking off with it can start accounts using the email address on your phone and start harvesting info about you, or doing things with your phone that are going to cost you a lot of money.

If you're in a movie theater with low seats and your Bold slides from your pocket during a movie, a member of the cleaning crew can pick it up and use it with a calling card to phone Mexico, and cost you $400 in long-distance fees that AT&T refuses to take off your account before you've even noticed it's missing... because you're one of those people who keeps his/her phone "safely" in a pocket all the time. Far fetched? It actually happened to me on an older Nokia. This is definitely the kind of thing you only have to learn once, but I suppose a lot of people need to learn it the hard way. I sure did.
    Last edited by digitalb0y; 05-29-09 at 01:18 AM.
    05-29-09 01:14 AM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD