View Poll Results: did u set password for your bb?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

43 55.13%
  • No

35 44.87%
    Yep, I sure did. I have a lot of e-mails, and I don't want people to start doing stuff that my phone could let them do. I have it set to lock after 1 hour of inactivity, with 10 attempts. I also have the convenience key set to lock it, and if I go anywhere it might come up missing, I lock it instinctively.

And it's not really a pain. Actually entertaining to hear my roommate pick it up and go "booo, you locked it" whenever she wants to play with it.
    05-28-09 10:42 AM
    cdaiscool, why are you wasting a convenience key?
    Are you aware that you can press and hold the A key to lock?
    05-28-09 11:36 AM
    Yes, why wouldn't you? As a child of 4 or 5 you should have learned to protect your sh*t, lol. That's why I also just got SmrtGuard.

Chris
    same here
    05-28-09 11:50 AM
    Wait until he gets the chance to compare that hassle to the hassle he has when someone he doesn't know is messing around with his facebook/myspace profiles and friends, harvesting phone numbers out of their facebook contacts, the address book contacts, going through his personal emails, changing passwords and locking him out of his own accounts, etc. God forbid he's ever conducted a transaction from his phone and not cleared his cache. Anyone who doesn't lock their phone when it's a smart phone as capable as a Bold is seriously asking for a world of hurt.

Let's see, type four characters, or deal with the above... which is the hassle again?
    Think with engineering screens there is any way to extend the 60 minute timeout. Two hours would be great. There must be a way to do it, need to find someone who knows what all the terms are on those screens you gave us info to get to.
    05-28-09 11:59 AM
    true enough, but some friends of mine find it a hassle to key in the password whenever he need to use his bb
    A hassle?? How many times a day does your friend text? Good grief.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-09 12:00 PM
    Yes, password & Smrtguard.
    05-28-09 02:06 PM
    Yes i definitely use a password. You just never know. I am on the BIS. The timeout is set for an hour, and i have 3 password attempts. I know that I would be one to freak out if my bb got stolen, especially with everything i have on there. I used to find it annoying having to unlock the phone every time, but hey, better safe than sorry! The minor stress of having to type a password far outweighs the stress of losing your bb. I also use smrtguard.
    05-28-09 02:17 PM
    I see the 45% or so who answered no have been somehow shamed.

I don't have a password. And I'm proud of it.
    05-28-09 02:41 PM
    Definitely keep my joint on lock. Got people who like to be nosey on the low sometimes.
    05-28-09 02:54 PM
    I was thinking about putting a password on, but then I realized.... I'm 16. Nothing that bad on my phone, and it never leaves my sights.
    05-28-09 03:13 PM
    what happens after 10 attempts and no good password?
    05-28-09 03:44 PM
    I don't have a password on my phone, but I keep my phone in my locker at work. And I D-A-R-E anyone to go into my purse or my locker. That's gonna be a fight of epic proportions!!!
    05-28-09 04:02 PM
    what happens after 10 attempts and no good password?
    It deletes everything on the phone.
    05-28-09 04:31 PM
    I also do have a password :P
    How can the 16 year old not lock his phone? Does he not text or have any private messages he doesn't want everyone to know about? I am younger then him and I always lock mine. I don't want just anyone reading my text messages or contacts.
    05-28-09 04:33 PM
    No. No business info here... My contacts and calendar are synced with my home PC. And who cares if someone gets my contact list? They may as well dial random numbers from the phone book and have as much fun.
    05-28-09 04:39 PM
    I have to have a password on my BB (I'm on BES). Wouldn't want it without though
    Got the time-out on 30 mins but usually it gets locked right after use. I got it to lock when it's in the pouch, which is where it is when I don't use it
    05-28-09 04:48 PM
    I figure I owe it to the people I keep stored in my phone to protect their info. There's a whole lot of email addresses, phone numbers, physical addresses, etc. stored on this thing. Those people don't want just anybody to have all their personal info.

Besides that, any forum I chat on using the BB has my login info stored in cookies. That means anyone who wanted to could request a password reminder which would get emailed to the phone. With enough of those, the person could start seeing if there's a pattern to the passwords I choose and trying my passwords against email and banking sites. It wouldn't be hard to start getting account info on me as my phone is logged into all the major IM services pretty much all the time.

Why on Earth would you not protect your info? These things store a lot more than you probably stop to think about. You're not on a crappy old, free bar phone anymore. How long does it take to put in a password?
    I agree with all of this said.
    05-28-09 04:58 PM
    Besides that, any forum I chat on using the BB has my login info stored in cookies. That means anyone who wanted to could request a password reminder which would get emailed to the phone. With enough of those, the person could start seeing if there's a pattern to the passwords I choose and trying my passwords against email and banking sites. It wouldn't be hard to start getting account info on me as my phone is logged into all the major IM services pretty much all the time.
    This reminds me... I don't use the same usernames for fora and "play" stuff that I use for my financials and more personal stuff. I highly recommend that others don't either for the reason listed above.
    05-28-09 05:41 PM
    When I'm home password is disabled. Once I leave the house my phone is password protected.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-09 06:08 PM
    yes got a password and i'm on BIS

i'm curious to know those who have voted no, are u on BES or BIS?
    05-28-09 06:14 PM
    Absolutely I use a password. I want to protect my information and the privacy of my friends and contacts. I owe it to them. And even though I have my phone set to a 5 minute time-out, I pretty much always press the A button any time I put it down.

And yah, I have stuff on this phone that I don't want anyone to see. Ever.
    05-28-09 06:25 PM
    I also do have a password :P
    How can the 16 year old not lock his phone? Does he not text or have any private messages he doesn't want everyone to know about? I am younger then him and I always lock mine. I don't want just anyone reading my text messages or contacts.
    I don't really talk about high risk stuff on my phone, so it's no big deal. I send a ton of text messages though. But my phone never leaves my pocket, so I never have to worry.
    05-28-09 06:37 PM
    Nope, I don't want to forget it and have to completely wipe my phone. I don't really need it anyway I don't have info that is of any importance to anyone but me.
    05-28-09 06:47 PM
    i'm curious to know those who have voted no, are u on BES or BIS?
    I voted no and I'm on a BIS
    Last edited by ineedhelp118; 05-28-09 at 07:16 PM.
    05-28-09 06:49 PM
    I think I am feeling a little stupid not putting a password on my phone, I never have in my life. I have over 400 phone numbers......
    05-28-09 06:49 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD