I just got a 9900. Is it safe to say that rim will continue to support it for a few years or did I make a big mistake I had a galaxy s3 and hated it. I've never had phone were I averaged 5 missed calls a day and the Damn thing was a pain to operate. I've always loved bb keyboard and missed it. I'm to the point that all I need is a phone that accepts calls, take pics of my kid, and schedule meeting s and get emails in a timely manner
    wxmancanada likes this.
    02-18-13 09:38 PM
    Sounds like you made the right choice for you to me.
    wxmancanada likes this.
    02-18-13 09:52 PM
    Great choice. OS 7 will be around a long time and you've just gotten the top of the line.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 09:57 PM
    I myself also ditched the S3. For a iphone 4s, which I then ditched for my vzw 9930. I'm happy as a clam with my device and my choice, I've only had 1 issue which Verizon took care of instantly and I've had none otherwise, once you go BB you never go back
    02-19-13 12:43 AM
    I just went from a 9900 to the Z10, and although I love the Z10, I may switch on and off until all the initial bugs are worked out.

The 9900 is such a unique device between the touch screen, the speed, and the physical keyboard, that I kinda miss it at
    times.

You made a great choice, as it is a sweet and sexy handset, with the best of the Legacy OS, memory expansion, speed, and
    the best keyboard in the industry.

Enjoy!!
    02-19-13 01:00 AM
    Best Bold to date. Maybe even better than the Q10 considering some things that are not yet in Blackberry 10.
    02-19-13 01:05 AM
    I got a 9900 a little over a year ago and love it! This was my first smartphone...awesome device and OS. You'll notice that the more you use it, the more you'll love it, especially once you stary learning all the shortcuts and tips amd tricks, you'll find you can get stuff done quickly and easily.
    02-19-13 01:08 AM
    I think you did great.
    I recently switched to a Bold 9900 from iPhone 4S. Love the keyboard and the integrated messages.
    02-19-13 01:17 AM
    I do love the SIII but can't see using it as my work phone. I keep a curve 3g and have a backup just incase for work.

The curve 3g is a great phone because the call quality is the same as the SIII which is excellent, i know my emails come in instantly (can't trust the SIII for that job), and the best part: INDESTRUCTIBLE lol the one I'm using has been through so much, I'm talking fully submerged in various corrosive liqiuds, thrown at a moving car, stomped on with a work boot, dropped in snow/ice/freezing water
    02-19-13 01:20 AM
    As already mentioned, service for OS7 devices will continue for a while. I don't know if it is safe to say for "years", but over the next two years (at least) it should be pretty save. If you take a look around you'll see new firmwares are still comming, with .825 released in January and .861 (the latest one) released just two weeks ago. New versions of native Twitter and Facebook apps aren't that old either. The Application Resource Monitor just hit the Beta Zone with a new version and there is some new navigation app on there too.

So there is still development going on. On another note, the 9900 software in form of OS7 and now 7.1 came quite a long way. If you compare the first release firmware with more modern version of at least .6xx, you'll notice many improvements virtually everywhere.
    I for one am still pretty satisfied with my 9900. If you like to get some more entertainment stuff, I suggest you might want to take a look at the Blackberry Playbook. They sometimes sell for impressive prices and it is a great addition to the Bold.
    02-19-13 02:38 AM
    I would have to say yes you made the correct choice I have had the 9900 for a little over a year. It still looks like new and is a work horse it really is the best of both worlds touch and physical keyboard can't compare to any phone on the market till the q10 comes out at least which here in the US could be a while I could stay with the 9900 a few more years for sure.
    02-19-13 02:48 AM
    (...)INDESTRUCTIBLE lol the one I'm using has been through so much, I'm talking fully submerged in various corrosive liqiuds, thrown at a moving car, stomped on with a work boot, dropped in snow/ice/freezing water
    Excuse me asking, but.... what do you do, that your job requires you to throw your phone at moving cars ? Not that putting the phone in corrosive liquids does not put up my eyebrows...
    And as a second thought: are you sure one backup phone is enough for you ?
    02-19-13 05:34 AM
    Wow thanks for everyone's responses. I know feel I've made a good choice phone is coming today and I should be up and running in a few hours and I can finally ditch this Samsung galaxy
    02-19-13 05:39 AM
    All these awesome members of CrackBerry.com are correct! . BlackBerry has stated that they will continue to support the BlackBerry 7 operating system and devices. Fear not, you're in good hands.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-13 05:45 AM
    Wow thanks for everyone's responses. I know feel I've made a good choice phone is coming today and I should be up and running in a few hours and I can finally ditch this Samsung galaxy
    02-19-13 05:47 AM
    One thing youll notice RIGHT AWAY over the S3 is the quality of the handset. the S3 is a good phone but its plastic, its flimsy, its light weight and feels kinda cheap. the 9900/9930 is built like a tank and you can really feel the difference the second you pick it up :-)
    02-19-13 08:58 AM
    One thing youll notice RIGHT AWAY over the S3 is the quality of the handset. the S3 is a good phone but its plastic, its flimsy, its light weight and feels kinda cheap. the 9900/9930 is built like a tank and you can really feel the difference the second you pick it up :-)
    True. I recently picked up a 9900 and showed it to a friend who moved from BB to iPhone because his BBs were "crap". Before he even touched it he looked at it and said. "You got another cheap blackberry. look at that. it looks cheap." as I handed it to him "It looks like it will fall apar.... oh wow" Needless to say he shut his mouth from then on. I like showing off my BBs to him because he likes to badmouth everything that isn't apple. Recently though he has been listening. He almost bought a playbook if it weren't for one app that wasn't available. It seems the message is starting to get through.
    Grumblegrumble likes this.
    02-19-13 09:48 AM
    I don't throw anything, i had a "customer" throw it at a car as i was trying to arrest him.
    rav813 likes this.
    02-19-13 06:11 PM
    I don't throw anything, i had a "customer" throw it at a car as i was trying to arrest him.
    oink oink
    02-19-13 06:17 PM
    oink oink
    Hey now!. haha I myself am a Armed Security Officer and i've had my clip on tie ripped off while trying to cuff someone! lol *this is why SEO's and LEO's wear clip ons, not cause we're cheap, but because it prevents strangulation *
    southlander likes this.
    02-19-13 06:59 PM
    The 9900 is the best of BlackBerry - that is, up to BB10. But still, if you don't need the latest, then the 9900 is the best all-round, unless you are watching videos or the like where you want a bigger screen. It's a communication workhorse. I was a happy user, up until I bought the Z10 a few days ago - a rare exception where I want to have the latest.
    02-19-13 11:13 PM
    I have been very happy with my 9930. If you don't mind my asking, what made you want to switch? Some people on CrackBerry say how old and out of date BlackBerry is. I am waiting for all of the bugs to get worked out of BB10. I knew it wouldn't be perfect out of the starting gate, but initial reports are quite impressive.

The 9930 is a solid device that has been worked on for a few years and is very reliable and entertaining.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    str8up50 likes this.
    02-20-13 09:42 AM
    I still get grief over using a Blackberry A lot of that is just playful ribbing amongst friends. But then again, I still hear from former BB users who definitely do miss certain features that aren't on their iPhones or Androids, and they are all the basic/exceptional things that make BB unique (ie the crack light, erm, I mean, LED, and push email). I really do love my 9930. It does all that I need it to do. If I want to smash pigs or slice fruit, I'll use my Playbook, thank you very much Those that have never used a BB just don't get it I guess. Haha.

Since it will be a little while longer until the Z10 and Q10 arrive in the USA,you definitely won't be disappointed with the 9900. All of the bugs have pretty much been worked out so you shouldn't run into any major problems unless it's user error. Now, again, if you're expecting a gaming machine, forget it. Buy an iPod or Playbook or whatever. The 9900 is not designed for those graphics-intensive games, and that's okay. It's what sets us BB users apart. I don't mind being in the niche category. It really shouldn't be a 2 party race
    02-20-13 10:14 AM
    My last BB was a 8310 I believe. So when Iphones came out i had the 3 and 4. So I got bored with iphone and went with Siii because i felt that its capabilities were much greater that iphone 5. So I went with Siii and it was a def learning curve. Not as user friendly as i wanted it to be. And to sync up with Samsung KIES was a big pain in the ****. It would never recognize my device. Then the missed calls began. Average around 4 a day. Dont get me wrong, i loved the larger screen when i initally purchased it, but over time and actually using the device the size became a problem. Not really a one hand device, always had to manipulate it when i was driving.
    I guess im to the point, which is why i got the 9900, is that i wanted a phone that received calls, had a great mms/email system, calendar and with camera. Apps are overated and it has taken me awhile to come to that conclusion. After 1 day with the 9900, im impressed. The BB desktop installed perfectly, updated phone ( it actually recognized my device from the jump), able to transfer all my pics with ease, installed a couple apps (ebay/weather), and i can operate it while driving and actually hold it for extended period of times with an actual grip as compared to Siii.
    02-20-13 02:04 PM
    I believe you did judging by what you need a phone for. Nothing beats my 9900 even my hubby's Z10. I won't be upgrading for another 2 years & I'm sure I'll be happy with this great phone. It has everything I need-email,text,IM with great kb, calender, task with reminders, Internet radio, podcast, streaming music & ebook reader! I don't watch tv much but I use my phone whole day
    02-22-13 12:02 AM
31 12