I am a corportate user. I send 50-60 emails a day, twitter, misc use, etc.

9930 has good battery life, great screen, better (still not great) OS.

A lot of you won't agree, but this device combined with the android market would be formidable.

I still wish I had native apps for American Airlines, Hilton, Directv, etc on app world.

Touchscreen is good, not great. Still find myself forgetting I have it.

If the 9930 hit 18 months ago, and app world had legs, RIM would be better off.

Phone may be too little too late to save RIM, but its a sturdy device that has a market.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-30-12 09:22 PM
    The Bold Touch is definitely a lot better in many ways, and shows that there is always room for improvement. It actually is a realized version of a phone that people screamed two years or more to get. That delay cost them badly.
    03-30-12 09:45 PM
    The hardware is a step in the right direction. The specs, while not high end, are decent. Most everyone I've spoken to, regardless of their smartphone preference, will agree that it's great looking device. Those who appreciate hardware keyboard love the 9900. About the only downside is the camera.

The software on the other hand, is on its last legs.
    03-30-12 10:07 PM
    OS is the issue not the hardware for most of us. If RIM wants to be in this smartphone game, they either needs to change their OS to another OR better come up with a solution to developers dropping support for BB platform.
    -------
    Sent from BlackBerry Bold 9900 using webkit
    web
    03-30-12 11:51 PM
    i have a 9930 and it wont download the wiki app for agumented reality. should i ask verizon to send me another device... could it be defective.
    03-31-12 12:00 AM
    I always here people complaining about the BB OS. What's wrong with it? It works ... consistently and reliably. They have made changes to the UI and appearance while IOS has remained viirtually unchanged for 5 years. Hardware wise, the BB OS isn't the CPU hog that IOS and Android are.
    03-31-12 08:15 AM
    I always here people complaining about the BB OS. What's wrong with it? It works ... consistently and reliably. They have made changes to the UI and appearance while IOS has remained viirtually unchanged for 5 years. Hardware wise, the BB OS isn't the CPU hog that IOS and Android are.
    BB OS's built in browser can't load some of the items from sites. It also lacks multimedia support. What makes a smartphone from a dumb phone is the multimedia support and ability use 4G networks for various websites. Why should I pay a premium price for a phone that can't load simple grade table from my school's website? At this rate I should have brought a old cheap dumb phone. Most young people use their phone for SMS, Internet and multimedia. Bold 99xx is the worst "smartphone" for Internet and multimedia. I think Canada should bring a law saying it is false advertising to call a dumb phone a smartphone!
    03-31-12 08:23 AM

All the OSs out right now are just iterations of previous versions. BBOS is a java based OS from the early-mid 2000s. It has certain quirks that other OSs do not have (ie. rebooting after deleting or upgrading an app, long reboot times, getting a spinning clock when installing an app and having the device be completely unuseable during this time etc).

Yes it works, and I'd say it works well for the messaging heavy nature of a BlackBerry. But if you've ever tried PlayBook OS2 and then go back to BBOS, you'll notice it's age and shortcomings. It's like getting invited to a race with Mustangs and Camaros, but you show up with an 80's Civic. It's got 4 wheels and can run on the same track, but it's woefully underpowered compared to the competition and guaranteed to get smoked.

It's because RIM thought this OS is "good enough" is one of the reasons why they are in the situation they're in today.
    03-31-12 08:52 AM
    Theres nothing wrong with the BBOS. The issue is that consumer market has moved toward a smartphone that offers more than BlackBerry devices offer...video calling, flash brower, apps, gaming etc.

BlackBerry OS is still the most efficient phone for messaging. You do your business and out the phone away.

But the market now wants their phones to be more of an all in one entertainment device.

Some of us appreciate the BBOS because it is efficient, secure and just a fast communication device. Its almost a no frills device.

Who knows what consumers will want in the future but right now, based on the popularity of the other platforms, they want an all in one device.

Hopefully BB10 will combine the ease of use and efficiency we know BlackBerry for AND add the other things consumers want...multi media, video calling, etc.

For me, right now, I want my phone to be the best in messaging. I don't game on the phone or watch movies. So that's why I have a BlackBerry for now.

I use the phone Internet very rarely now. I prefer to use a tab with a bigger screen. I still think BlackBerry needs more apps.
    BlackBerry Guy likes this.
    03-31-12 09:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD