hi thanks for any help in advance
    i bought a broken blackberry bold 9000 off ebay and i cant get it to work.
    there is no physical damage to the exterior, it is a software issue.

when i put a battery in, it flashes red, at intervals of about 10 seconds at a time and does nothing else.

when i plug it into a computer the same thing happens when there is no battery, and when there is a battery, I sometimes get a screen with a half-full battery with a red line through it.

I am trying to reinstall the os through apploader, but the computer will not recognise the device. I think that if i can get my pc to recognise it, I should be able to easily do the rest. So any help for how to successfully connect it to the computer?

Regards,
    B.
    10-27-10 06:29 AM
    hi thanks for any help in advance
    i bought a broken blackberry bold 9000 off ebay and i cant get it to work.
    there is no physical damage to the exterior, it is a software issue.

when i put a battery in, it flashes red, at intervals of about 10 seconds at a time and does nothing else.

when i plug it into a computer the same thing happens when there is no battery, and when there is a battery, I sometimes get a screen with a half-full battery with a red line through it.

I am trying to reinstall the os through apploader, but the computer will not recognise the device. I think that if i can get my pc to recognise it, I should be able to easily do the rest. So any help for how to successfully connect it to the computer?

Regards,
    B.
    I thought, and don't quote me on this, that the flashing red battery while on charge meant the battery was no good, or shorted internally. Not 100 percent sure, but someone else on here might know.
    10-27-10 08:29 AM
    10-27-10 08:30 AM
    hi! i actually had this problem literally three days ago and spent two hours on the phone with blackberry troubleshooting.
    - my phone prior to troubleshooting would not turn on, yet the red light would flash on and then off quickly. to fix this, they had me download the software from my provider (for example, it is AT&T so i went to att.com/bbdownloads - it will be different if you have a different provider). i downloaded the software version (5.0) onto my computer.
    Then, they had me take the battery out, i dont know how important that factor is, but you might wanna do it too, and connected the phone to the computer, even though it would not recognize my device. Next, go into your computer programs and in the C: drive, go to your program files, then into "common files". click on "research in motion." once in that folder you will see "app loader." click on the app loader application and follow the directions it give you!

I was very surprised that this worked because i thought it was a physical issue with my phone. Anyway, i really hope this was helpful, and that you're able to fix your phone this way!
    10-27-10 08:37 AM
    Then, they had me take the battery out, i dont know how important that factor is, but you might wanna do it too, and connected the phone to the computer, even though it would not recognize my device....
    This step is very important. The directions in the above link I posted lays out all the instructions step by step ... You need to continue the OS reload with "UNKNOWN PIN" and let app loader do it's job ..
    10-27-10 08:41 AM
    the battery is fine because i use it in my 9700 daily and it runs perfectly.

ive tried this before, but the computer recognises I've plugged my berry in, but gives me a message saying: "USB Device Not Recognized". So the apploader also doesn't recognise that it is a blackberry plugged in which is beginning to be a real pain :S
    10-27-10 11:03 AM
    Formatting the phone is better. It's not that hard to restore your apps you know.
    Also, make sure you only select the components you want and not install everything to save some space.
    Make sure you do not install 5.0.0.822 it is the worst OS ever and it has the silent ringtone bug which has been admitted by RIM!
    Install 5.0.0.771 it's the best with good battery life, fast speed, and good reception quality.
    1) Download BBSAK 1.8.5

2) Run BBSAK then click on WIPE DEVICE, when asked to enter a password, leave it blank incase you don't have a password on your device.

3) Wait for a few seconds till you get the confirmation that it was done.

4) Now your device has no operating system and you should see a white screen on the BB

5) Download the following OS:

Package Version: 5.0.0.1301
    Consisting of:
    Applications: 5.0.0.771
    Software Platform: 5.2.0.72
    File name: 9000EastAsia_PBr5.0.0_rel1301_PL5.2.0.72_A5.0.0.77 1_Telstra.exe
    File size: 116.02MB

DOWNLOAD 5.0.0.771

6) Install the *.exe file you just downloaded.

7) Navigate to Computer >>> C: >>> Program Files >>> Common Files >>> Research in Motion >>> Apploader

8) Delete the file named vendor.xml

9) Connect your BlackBerry through the USB port

10) Run loader.exe

11) Follow the on-screen instructions and enjoy. (Incase you were given 2 choices whether to leave the applications intact or to downgrade them to the original versions, choose the 2nd option which is to downgrade them, this will ensure you have a completely fresh installation)
    10-27-10 12:09 PM
    Formatting the phone is better. It's not that hard to restore your apps you know.
    Also, make sure you only select the components you want and not install everything to save some space.
    Make sure you do not install 5.0.0.822 it is the worst OS ever and it has the silent ringtone bug which has been admitted by RIM!
    Install 5.0.0.771 it's the best with good battery life, fast speed, and good reception quality.
    1) Download

2) Run BBSAK then click on WIPE DEVICE, when asked to enter a password, leave it blank incase you don't have a password on your device.

3) Wait for a few seconds till you get the confirmation that it was done.

4) Now your device has no operating system and you should see a white screen on the BB

5) Download the following OS:

Package Version: 5.0.0.1301
    Consisting of:
    Applications: 5.0.0.771
    Software Platform: 5.2.0.72
    File name: 9000EastAsia_PBr5.0.0_rel1301_PL5.2.0.72_A5.0.0.77 1_Telstra.exe
    File size: 116.02MB

6) Install the *.exe file you just downloaded.

7) Navigate to Computer >>> C: >>> Program Files >>> Common Files >>> Research in Motion >>> Apploader

8) Delete the file named vendor.xml

9) Connect your BlackBerry through the USB port

10) Run loader.exe

11) Follow the on-screen instructions and enjoy. (Incase you were given 2 choices whether to leave the applications intact or to downgrade them to the original versions, choose the 2nd option which is to downgrade them, this will ensure you have a completely fresh installation)
    thanks for the guide, I'll be sure to do that. but there's still the issue of the phone actually connecting, when i do connect i get a message from windows saying that the usb device has malfunctioned etc. etc. so i cant do anything :/
    10-27-10 12:37 PM
    thanks for the guide, I'll be sure to do that. but there's still the issue of the phone actually connecting, when i do connect i get a message from windows saying that the usb device has malfunctioned etc. etc. so i cant do anything :/

1) unplug the BlackBerry from the USB and remove the cable.

2) Restart your PC

3) While the PC is restarting, plug the USB cable to another USB port.

4) Enjoy
    10-27-10 12:50 PM
    1) unplug the BlackBerry from the USB and remove the cable.

2) Restart your PC

3) While the PC is restarting, plug the USB cable to another USB port.

4) Enjoy
    that still didn't work :/ for a second it said installing device driver software, but then i got the same error message. I think it's because i've never used this particular model with my computer before as i bought it broken, I've already tried downloading the drivers from the blackberry site but they didn't help
    10-27-10 01:08 PM
    I don't know what else you can do
    10-27-10 01:14 PM
    Install, if you don't already have it, CCleaner on your PC. Clean the registry, then reboot the PC, and run it one more time, just to be certain. Sounds like you have connected BlackBerries in the past, but go to Control Panel->System->USB Hubs, and make sure the one you're using is 500mA and not set to power saving. Then try connecting the 9000 again. If you still can't even force a load starting with the battery out, then try wiping it first, using this:

10-27-10 02:05 PM
    I ordered a genuine blackberry wire, hopefully it will make a difference as i wasn't using one before.
    10-28-10 08:22 PM
    Wire didn't make a difference, I'm sure it's the phone. now my computer won't even detect it I've tried so many different guides with no avail. Any last minute ideas or should I just get rid of it?
    11-01-10 03:58 PM
    Wire didn't make a difference, I'm sure it's the phone. now my computer won't even detect it I've tried so many different guides with no avail. Any last minute ideas or should I just get rid of it?
    Bassel -

I bought a Torch 9800 Unlocked through Amazon 2 weeks back and facing the exact same issue you had mentioned in the 1st post. I have read every post in this thread from the beginning. Tried removing battery, cleaning up registry using CCleaner, downloading the OS from my carrier's website etc. Nothing absolutely seems to work and the phone does not get detected.

To add more information, the phone was working fine till yesterday night. I wake up in the morning and it was dead, I did not install any new applications yesterday etc. and the last application I installed was Blackberry Travel about 3 days back. So, this issue has not been caused suddenly due to installing a new application or an OS Upgrade. It was fine till about 1 am and I find that it's dead at 7AM.

Any thing I could do or is it time to contact the Seller in Amazon and fight it out?

Thank you for any suggestions in advance.
    08-23-11 12:03 AM
    Hi Bassel.A

Well at this point in time, since the battery has been checked to be a known good one, it's not the battery do check and device without the battery, what screen does it go to? Use a different computer, if possible and see if that makes a difference? Since this device is bought used and broken it's likely that there is some hardware malfunction causing this to happen. I do not know where the CMOS battery might be on the device but it would be a good idea to open up the device, clean it with isopropyl alcohol and then reset the CMOS battery. Take it to an authorized service center or to some guy who really knows about phone circuits, and get this done if you are not really sure about doing this yourself. Then we can say that we have really exhausted all what could be done.
    08-23-11 03:45 AM
    At some point considering we're primarily talking about BlackBerries you can purchase for <$100, it's time to give up the ghost. The cost of shipping it to a repair shop just doesn't make sense.

@ gr8one - I can't see going after the seller, when the phone worked for at least a month. That may be worth a repair.
    08-23-11 08:36 AM
    At some point considering we're primarily talking about BlackBerries you can purchase for <$100, it's time to give up the ghost. The cost of shipping it to a repair shop just doesn't make sense.

@ gr8one - I can't see going after the seller, when the phone worked for at least a month. That may be worth a repair.
    BigBadWuld ~

I spent $450 to buy this unlocked Torch 9800 as I was moving out of USA for good. The phone did not work for a month, I received it on August 11th but could not open and start using it until August 15th, so it has been working for 1 week. The phone is absolutely dead and I'm going to try if the local Blackberry store here in New Delhi, India can help. Otherwise, I have no other option other than contacting the seller to see what he says. It was a purchase I made through Amazon and hoping it can be resolved if in case I have to go to the seller.
    08-24-11 05:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD