So, I have a Blackberry 9700 (unlocked) and a data plan but no BIS. I do not need email, but would like to use the GPS functionality via Google Maps. Using the TCP/IP (APN) settings for my provider, I can get just about everything working... browser, GPS via Google Maps, even App World. Everything works great, for about a day, and then I receive messages such as "this application requires a data connection", and everything stops working, apart from the browser, which continues to work fine without BIS. If I perform a 'battery pull', either real or simulated using an app, functionality returns and everything is fine, until the next day. I have found a lot of information 'out there' on situations similar to what I am experiencing, but nothing quite like this, and I am hoping someone here might be able to help me come up with a solution.

More information: my Host Routing Table is empty, "Register Now" results in the message "Registration Message Sent!". I don't have email set up. I have tried re-installing Google Maps, to no avail (I read somewhere that it needs to be re-installed after the TCP/IP settings are entered); I am currently waiting for the phone to go 'offline' again to try re-installing Google Maps when there is no data connection for apps other than the browser to see if that makes a difference.
    02-08-12 09:50 AM
    To avoid all this fuss, get a BIS plan. After all, it's not expensive.
    02-08-12 05:50 PM
    You know what? You're right. I'd probably go over the data limit I have, anyway. I just added it to my plan and I have waaaaaaay more service books now, and BB Maps popped up.

I still think it's silly to have to pay for a different data plan, but at least everthing should work.
    02-08-12 06:57 PM
    well you now can enjoy your blackberry to the fulliest! why didn't you wanted a data-plan?
    if you didn't get one, you would be restricted too much and therefore no full experience.
    now you can just do about everything.
    02-08-12 06:59 PM
    I have been resisting the move to a smart phone for years, but the lure of a handy GPS (without having to carry my separate Garmin unit) was too great, and then I started using the browser, checking Facebook...

I had been trying to get by with a minimal $10/month data plan because (prior to the last month, anyway) I hardly ever use my phone. I don't text and rarely make calls, unless I'm away at a conference. I was trying to minimize the cost, but I have given in.
    02-08-12 08:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD