Hi guys,

Firstly, this is probably the best phone I have used till date. Its just got everything very nicely integrated and works well for me.

now I have an issue with data roaming. I am based in India and when ever I am out of the country I continue with the roaming plan, as I need my work emails going. Now the funny thing is that while roaming in Singapore, I get my emails over 3G on Singtel, and I get the capital 3G sign, with a BB logo.

Now while in Indonesia I get a 3g sign but the "g" is in small and I am just not able to get any emails or surf the net or anything for that matter. Its like the phone refuses to recognise the data connection.

I have tried the battery pull, tried manual network selection, and everything else I could think off, but in the end nothing works. So on my way back, in transit in Singapore, I whip out the BB and its working with 3G as if nothing happened. What could be the problem here??

I am using a T-Mobile branded phone, which I have not unbranded or anything. It was bought when I was in Germany and I continued to use it in India, with the local sim card without any issues.

Thanks in advance.
    07-28-09 02:13 AM
    A 3g sign with a small 'g' indicates that you are not connected to BIS or BES (whichever you use) therefor it makes senses that you can't use anyhting data related since all data used on your blackberry is through BIS or BES. Its possible that in Indonesia the provider your roaming on does not support BIS or BES and therefor data will not work on your blackberry... but again this is just a guess since I don't know any details regarding carriers in Indonesia.
    07-28-09 08:56 AM
    Thanks but thats not the issue as my collegue was on the same network and it worked. Also most people use the same network for BB out there. So I am wondering, if it worked in Singapore, then data roaming is working, but why not in Jakarta??
    07-28-09 11:53 PM
    I can only speak for the carriers in singapore as I'm based here. All the telcos here provide bis plan so that's the reason why you're able to use data roaming here. You might like to find out which carriers in indonesia provide data roaming. This is so that if 1 carrier doesn't work for you you could try the others.

Edit: having said the above I found a rather interesting info on using your device in indonesia. Here goes: http://www.blackberryforums.com.au/forums/general-bis-discussion/5618-roaming-overseas.html
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by squish101; 07-29-09 at 06:56 AM.
    07-29-09 06:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD