I was traveling in Germany and Italy, and I made sure to set "Data Services While Roaming" to "Off." However, I still did incur data roaming charges. They are really small-- like 15KB/day, but it's nonetheless annoying that my Blackberry Bold 9700 is using data even though I turned it off. I use AT&T. Does anyone know why?

Example of roaming charges:
    Charges Incurred While Roaming in Germany, ZZ
    2 FRI 03/26/2010 8:43PM Data Transfer Data Connect 28 KB MK12 GRM Out 0.55
    3 SAT 03/27/2010 4:53PM Data Transfer Data Connect 17 KB MK12 GRM Out 0.33
    04-01-10 10:45 AM
    The only sure way not to incur data charges whilst travelling, it to turn Data Services OFF completely.

With the setting Data Services While Roaming to OFF, if your phone is switched off then back on again, there is always a short data connection to the network before your phone realises it's actually roaming.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-01-10 10:57 AM
    Ahh, that must be why then. Thanks. I had to do battery pull several times because whenever I moved away (or moved into) a WiFi zone, my phone would crash. I was running Windows Messenger, Google Chat, Yahoo Messenger, and AIM in the background. Once I turned all these IM apps off, I didn't have the crashing problem.

The only thing is that I think if I turn off data services completely, these IM apps don't work even in the WiFi zone....
    04-01-10 10:59 AM
    This just happened to one of my lines on our last trip. I will make sure to have data services off and just turn them on while on WiFi to allow it to connect...

Thanks!

Jose
    06-10-10 12:12 AM
    I was in the US last month and I had Data When Roaming turned off and I noticed that the data traffic arrows were still working. I turned the Data totaly off and the data flow stopped.

It's like Phill says, turn the data Off completely so as to avoid extra charges.
    06-10-10 11:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD