I'm sure half (or all) of these questions don't belong on this forum but I've settled on the Bold from AT&T so I figured all the people here would be nice and answer for me anyway
    I just have some questions before I actually buy the phone. The AT&T site sucks really so I thought you all might be more helpful.

1. Do I HAVE to have a data plan on my BlackBerry? I am aware that many features won't work without it but Verizon requires you to get it with the phone. Does AT&T do this?

2. I still have about 2 months left on my current family plan but I need to get the new phone now and want to transfer my number. Will I be able to take the number from my old phone now or do i have to wait until my contract is up to take the number from the old phone?

3. If I get the data plan now, will I be able to drop it later if i decide I don't need it or can't afford it? Can i do that from the website here?
    And related to this question: if I buy the blackberry from Amazon (still AT&T service) will I be able to drop the data plan later, as it requires you to get the data plan when you buy the phone.

I'm sure some of these questions sound dumb but when it comes to cell phones I feel fairly dumb. I've went back and forth about what new phone to get (essentially the first phone I'll actually be using for anything beyond the occasional call) and am still having a hard time deciding this is definitely the smart phone to get.
    06-16-09 10:28 PM
    1. Do I HAVE to have a data plan on my BlackBerry? I am aware that many features won't work without it but Verizon requires you to get it with the phone. Does AT&T do this?
    Most of us here will recommend that you get some sort of a data plan so that you get to enjoy the full potential of your phone, but no, it is not required. AT&T does not require you to get one either.

2. I still have about 2 months left on my current family plan but I need to get the new phone now and want to transfer my number. Will I be able to take the number from my old phone now or do i have to wait until my contract is up to take the number from the old phone?
    Need to wait until you are ready to fully switch over. I do not believe that they will allow you to have your number with two different companies, with two different devices, especially with one being CDMA and one GSM.

3. If I get the data plan now, will I be able to drop it later if i decide I don't need it or can't afford it? Can i do that from the website here? And related to this question: if I buy the blackberry from Amazon (still AT&T service) will I be able to drop the data plan later, as it requires you to get the data plan when you buy the phone.
    You should be able to drop any additional feature from your plan. The thing you have to keep is the voice plan. Data, messaging, etc. can all be added and dropped whenever you want. I am able to do all of this from the AT&T site, but sometimes I prefer to call as I can weasel my way into some discounts, etc. You will need to read the T&C of that deal since it may state that it requires you to keep everything for a certain length of time.

Chris
    06-17-09 12:28 AM
    Thanks. You've been quite helpful except for the second question which you misunderstood. I don't need the number on the old phone. I intend to put a new number on it under it's current provider. I just wasn't sure if they would let me transfer the number over while the phone is under contract. But I will be able to do that?
    06-17-09 01:42 AM
    Thanks. You've been quite helpful except for the second question which you misunderstood. I don't need the number on the old phone. I intend to put a new number on it under it's current provider. I just wasn't sure if they would let me transfer the number over while the phone is under contract. But I will be able to do that?
    Now that I reread it, I do see what you mean. My apologies.

You would have to ask your current provider. I would assume, key word there, that they would say no since that number is the core portion of your contract with them. Transferring your number would mean you wanted to terminate your contract.

Chris
    06-17-09 01:59 AM
    Now that I reread it, I do see what you mean. My apologies.

You would have to ask your current provider. I would assume, key word there, that they would say no since that number is the core portion of your contract with them. Transferring your number would mean you wanted to terminate your contract.

Chris
    This is correct.
    06-17-09 02:00 AM
    Hmm. I think I'll ask them just in case, but that's what I was thinking. Thanks for all the help!
    06-17-09 09:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD