I just currently got my AT&T 9700 and was planning to add a Data plan on it.
    Should I go with the 200mb ($15) or 2gb ($25)? I am pretty sure I do not have the option of the Unlimited ($30) since AT&T got rid of it. However, I hardly use the wifi internet but what would be the best choice from you experienced data users?

BTW, how many kb/mb is it already to visit a website such as Facebook.com?

Thanks.
    07-05-10 09:33 PM
    You can get by on the $15 package. 200 MB is more than enough for a BlackBerry as RIM compresses all data. The most I used in a month was ~120 MB.
    07-05-10 09:43 PM
    I'ev had my Curve for over 13 months, and I have never exceeded 70-80 MBs. This is nearly 200 emails a week, browing the facebook website hourly, socialscope pulling my friend's timeline etc. The only thing I never did was streaming due to the EDGE connection being so slow. Things like Pandora or Slacker were done over WiFi for me.
    07-05-10 10:50 PM
    You can get by on the $15 package. 200 MB is more than enough for a BlackBerry as RIM compresses all data. The most I used in a month was ~120 MB.
    Not all data is compressed. Only data that goes through RIM's servers.

If you are going to stream audio, that is not compressed. I stream Slacker radio around 2-3 hrs/day. I always use 2-3 GB of data each month, due to my audio streaming habit. I do not tether.
    07-05-10 11:14 PM
    Not all data is compressed. Only data that goes through RIM's servers.

If you are going to stream audio, that is not compressed. I stream Slacker radio around 2-3 hrs/day. I always use 2-3 GB of data each month, due to my audio streaming habit. I do not tether.
    Yeah, Slacker/Pandora would go through a lot of data I'd assume. Otherwise, the 200 MB package is fine.
    07-05-10 11:21 PM
    What is usually heavy upon the data besides streaming audio? Anything else?
    07-05-10 11:24 PM
    What is usually heavy upon the data besides streaming audio? Anything else?
    YouTube videos, podtrapper app (download and listen to podcasts), GPS, sending and receiving large files via BlackBerry Messenger.
    07-05-10 11:30 PM
    I had a similar question but didn't want to start a new thread. I'm on rogers and recently switched to 50 MB data plan to save money as I am a student. I was just wondering if this would suffice. I mainly use my phone for msn, bbm, some surfing on realgm and crackberry, and about 10-15 emails a week.

Any information would be appreciated as I still two months to make a decision.

Thanks
    07-05-10 11:41 PM
    if you are surfing the crackberry sites, make sure you use the mobile site (m.crackberry.com)

and i would HIGHLY recommend getting the my account app from rogers to watch your data usage to make sure you dont go over your bucket
    07-05-10 11:57 PM
    I had a similar question but didn't want to start a new thread. I'm on rogers and recently switched to 50 MB data plan to save money as I am a student. I was just wondering if this would suffice. I mainly use my phone for msn, bbm, some surfing on realgm and crackberry, and about 10-15 emails a week.

Any information would be appreciated as I still two months to make a decision.

Thanks
    50 MB is a very small data plan. Unless you are going to use Wi-Fi frequently, you will probably go over 50 MB before 30 days are up, especially if you share pictures frequently on MSN or BBM.
    07-06-10 12:00 AM
    I agree with the above comment... 50 is pretty small. But it never hurts to try and monitor closely with Rogers My Account... Handy little app

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-10 12:50 AM
    My wife uses very little data, pretty much a hand full of emails and a little BBM, one group chat, mostly incoming. She hit 45 Mb last month.

I used almost 200 Mb. Apparently, I didn't stream a whole lot last month.

EDIT: I lied. 200 Mb on "RIM BlackBerry." 1.1 Gb on "Internet Access" for me. Wife's didn't change much.
    Last edited by JustPlainJef; 07-06-10 at 05:03 AM.
    07-06-10 04:54 AM
    The 200MB plan is awesome if you are home most of the time when you do your surfing on the phone and have a WiFi connection. I go to about 80MB a month and I do FaceBook hourly, BBM hourly, and receive about 200 emails all together a month outside of the WiFi. The WiFi is the BEST thing the Bold offers honestly.

And if you dont have a WiFi connection in your home, it would be better to purchase it and do most of your streaming and all of that from home. As long as you have an internet connection of course. It saves you money in the long run.
    07-06-10 06:57 AM
    Check if you can upgrade, and start with the smaller plan. Monitor usage and if it looks like your going to go over, upgrade the plan.
    07-06-10 07:10 AM
    Would tethering increase the usage factor exponentially?

07-06-10 07:23 AM

Im sure that it would. Takes a lot more for computers to load up webpages compared to phones.
    07-06-10 07:29 AM
    The 200MB plan is awesome if you are home most of the time when you do your surfing on the phone and have a WiFi connection. I go to about 80MB a month and I do FaceBook hourly, BBM hourly, and receive about 200 emails all together a month outside of the WiFi. The WiFi is the BEST thing the Bold offers honestly.

And if you dont have a WiFi connection in your home, it would be better to purchase it and do most of your streaming and all of that from home. As long as you have an internet connection of course. It saves you money in the long run.
    If you have wifi internet at home you must also have a computer, why anyone would want to use their small screen phone over a large screen computer is beyond me but if that works for you...................
    07-06-10 07:42 AM
    i use tethering all the time on my netbook... works great! fast on Rogers... and yes it will increase it alot... without tethering i use around 400-500MBs per month with heavy usage... with tethering i can count on hitting 2GBs a month
    07-06-10 08:53 AM
    You could always come to T-mobile, that has the blackberry bold 9700, and is alot cheaper than AT&T, and be able to get a worry-free unlimited data plan.
    07-06-10 10:00 AM
    I'd definitely go with the 2GB...
    Last edited by Simba501; 07-06-10 at 11:23 AM.
    07-06-10 11:20 AM

Yes, without a doubt. I can't even fathom someone attempting to tether with 200mb...
    07-06-10 11:22 AM
    50 MB is a very small data plan. Unless you are going to use Wi-Fi frequently, you will probably go over 50 MB before 30 days are up, especially if you share pictures frequently on MSN or BBM.
    I don't share pictures over bbm or msn. I do use wifi frequently only when I'm out and about I use my data plan. Rogers said they'll give me two months to check it out so ill have to see and monitor the situation. Any tips or suggestions on how to limit data?

07-06-10 11:57 AM
    I just currently got my AT&T 9700 and was planning to add a Data plan on it.
    Should I go with the 200mb ($15) or 2gb ($25)? I am pretty sure I do not have the option of the Unlimited ($30) since AT&T got rid of it. However, I hardly use the wifi internet but what would be the best choice from you experienced data users?

BTW, how many kb/mb is it already to visit a website such as Facebook.com?

Thanks.

you have to ask yourself, "self, is the $10 extra dollars a month ill be saving worth me thinking twice about every website i go to or email i send/receive? Or do i just want to use my phone with a fairly guilt free? (streaming and other apps aside, but youve got wifi for that anyway)"
    07-06-10 12:05 PM
    Telus gives me 1GB, my router is a *****, it rejects my blackberry, as the icon greys with/without the sim card in & mobile network disabled.

I'll have to get a new router, or a refurbished netgear as I found out the hard way, that Belkin (at home) and Airport (via apple stores) DO NOT work for me. The wifi ceases to work every 2-5 minutes. Netgear, it stays connected regardless, only ceasing sometimes.

Data-saving Tips:

-Disable ALL images (including backgrounds) and embedded media support.
    -Disable loading of avatars/display photos in every IM app you have.
    -Dont watch videos, stream music.
    -If you have an unlimited SMS plan, use twitter with it. It saves on data too, there doesn't seem to be a way to disable loading of avatars at the moment either.

If you use wifi, feel free to do whatever you'd like to do. Those are the best ways to conserve data.

07-06-10 02:09 PM
    If you have wifi internet at home you must also have a computer, why anyone would want to use their small screen phone over a large screen computer is beyond me but if that works for you...................
    BBM is what I use a lot and its not on a computer. FaceBook I also use most of the time to. But why be on the computer on facebook all day when I can get the notifications to my phone and reply from there? And honestly, so many places have wifi in range that its a plus to have it.
    07-06-10 08:24 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD