1. IGWright's Avatar
    Hey Ya'll,


    Hope everybody had a nice weekend.
    I bought a second battery a couple of months ago,
    and everything was working fine.

    When the battery in the phone ran out,
    I'd pop in the extra battery and be good to go.

    Yesterday of was in a low speed motorcycle accident.
    (no injuries)
    Part way through the day the juice on the battery that came with the phone ran out.
    I put in the new battery and got the battery with an X through it graphic.

    Charged the new battery overnight with the RIM charger and still got the same graphic. Is it possible that the battery (which was in the RIM charger during the accident) was damaged during the accident?

    The only other factors were that I was at a cottage.


    Get back, and tell me what you think.


    Ian
    Last edited by IGWright; 07-16-11 at 03:30 PM.
    07-11-11 06:32 AM
  2. Deathcommand's Avatar
    Um. It may be that the phones Battery contacts were broken during the crash,, did the phone fly out and hit something?

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-11 07:39 AM
  3. IGWright's Avatar
    Definitely the spare battery.
    The phone functions as it always did,
    and my charger will charge the original battery just fine.

    So the implication currently is that the battery was perhaps damaged from impact when I crashed?

    It's all I can think of, since the battery worked fine prior to the crash.


    Ian
    07-12-11 01:53 AM
  4. IGWright's Avatar
    Can these batteries be damaged by impact?
    Does anyone know?


    Thanks,


    Ian
    Last edited by IGWright; 07-16-11 at 03:29 PM.
    07-15-11 11:37 AM
  5. IGWright's Avatar
    Just Curious:

    If this battery was put in a microwave for say 5 - 10 seconds, would this cause it to stop working while not affecting the physical appearance?


    Thanks,


    Ian
    07-16-11 03:28 PM
  6. kbz1960's Avatar
    LOL, did you put your battery in a microwave?
    07-16-11 04:21 PM
  7. IGWright's Avatar
    I didn't.
    I was just curious from a theoretical point of view.

    There are You Tube videos where the guys blowup batteries in a Microwave, but they set the timer to 7 minutes. What I wanted to know is if the electronics in the battery could be compromised using a short timer setting without the battery showing any signs of physical damage.
    07-16-11 06:02 PM
  8. BigBadWulf's Avatar
    I'd expect a microwave to kill it fast. There's a chip in the battery, that controls the charging. Could be the fall, could be because you drained it completely. That's terrible for a battery. OEMs are cheap. Pick up a couple, and try not to mix them with your taters.
    07-17-11 05:38 PM
  9. IGWright's Avatar
    I'm going to assume at this point that the impact of the fall is the culprit.
    A lot went on while I was going down, and the battery, which was in the Blackberry charger, could have hit something hard.
    07-18-11 01:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD