Hi -

Can anyone give me some bullet points on the logic of switching from an 8900 to a 9700 ? The BB website comparison tool does not reveal much and local mobile phone shops seem to lack sufficient technical expertise to know much difference between the two (I am in the UK). I have been generally happy with the 8900, save for some bad battery drain issues caused seemingly by the standard supplied pouch - and again now that the unit is over 1 yr old.

My main desires would be a BB that does what it does but also incorporates the best features of an iPhone as well (dream on...?!?)

Grateful for your help in advance.
    05-23-10 10:56 AM
    I made the switch myself. Better keypad, RAM memory is much larger, 3G and a faster processor. Overall a much better device, though the Jav ain't no slouch. This will show you the difference in memory:

Jav

Onyx

WAPers do it With A Passion
    I'm many people's brother, have several BB daughters and sons,
    but I sure as heck ain't your momma!
    I'm a Survivor Baby!But the dang game fizzled out

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-23-10 11:33 AM
    Hi -

Can anyone give me some bullet points on the logic of switching from an 8900 to a 9700 ? The BB website comparison tool does not reveal much and local mobile phone shops seem to lack sufficient technical expertise to know much difference between the two (I am in the UK). I have been generally happy with the 8900, save for some bad battery drain issues caused seemingly by the standard supplied pouch - and again now that the unit is over 1 yr old.

My main desires would be a BB that does what it does but also incorporates the best features of an iPhone as well (dream on...?!?)

Grateful for your help in advance.
    Why don't you wait for
    BB 9800

Its making lot of noise
    Worth reading about it

05-23-10 12:04 PM
    I'd have suggested that, but given the aging of people waiting for the 9650, I thought the OP might want to upgrade while still alive.

If everyone spoke Wulfanese�, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.
    Click Here To Be Banned*
    Drive a PwnCakes Hybrid. It'll keep your Onyx purring.

05-23-10 12:06 PM
    I am in the UK too and have done the unlocked curve to bold thing too.
    I am with T Mob

If you have an issue with battery life then bold is for you. The bold has more than twice the battery life of the curve and the extra memory makes it more stable and faster. The main downside of the bold is that the curve keyboard is far better than the bold - I have real issues with the converging camber of the TYGHVB keys and in typing this I have had to correct many errors.
    Reception with the bold is better and quality of speakers and calls is better.
    But the real clincher - BBC iplayer only works on the bold, and 3G is only available on the bold.

05-23-10 03:34 PM
    i also went from a curve 8900 to the 9700. u r going to like it much better. i thought i had great battery with the 8900 but the 9700 surpasses it. the quality overall is much better. also being that the 9700 has a trackpad vs the trackball. mine on the 8900 completely gave out and i still need to replace the membrane.
    05-23-10 10:26 PM
    How the bloody heck did I forget the trackpad . It's awesome!!!

At CrackBerry, I bring good search to life.
    Click Here To Be Banned*If everyone spoke Wulfanese�, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.

05-23-10 10:45 PM
    I'm currently using my 8900 and my 9700 together. I can tell a very distinct difference in the speed of the two phones. I'll often put the 8900 down to go to the same thing on the 9700.

The battery life between the two is quite different as well. I easily get double the life out of the 9700 while doing virtually the same things on them.

I do prefer the keypad on the 8900 but for me the track pad on the 9700 more than makes up for the keypad difference.

3G is nice but I find more often than not I'm only on EDGE even though the area I live in is supposed to have full 3G coverage.

The 8900 is a more sturdy phone than the 9700. I'm slowly starting to become more and more irritated with the cheap build of the bezel on the 9700.

Overall it's not a huge upgrade but if you're looking to upgrade now I'd definitely recommend going ahead and getting the 9700. The small annoyances with it are vastly outweighed by the benefits.
    05-23-10 11:06 PM
    I had Bold 9000 then made a switch to 8900, and then 9700, for me:

- 3g connection
    - better battery life
    - faster processor
    - better keypad (imo)
    - trackpad (my bold and curve had trackball problems so I'm extremely happy with it)
    05-24-10 12:46 AM
    Thanks everyone for your kind and helpful replies. I think I am convinved by the 9700.
    05-24-10 03:30 AM
    Thanks everyone for your kind and helpful replies. I think I am convinved by the 9700.
    I'm glad to hear that.. I made the switch as well and I enjoy my 9700. You'll love it!
    05-24-10 09:55 AM
    i do believe, if you travel, the 9700 may be your phone! both are world phones but the 9700 is functional in parts of asia where the 8900 is not. don't get me wrong, love my 8900 but the idea of having a phone that's usable in more places makes the switch awfully tempting!
    05-24-10 02:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD