Hey Everyone,

I've been on Sprint for several years, and my contract expired earlier this month. I had planned to switch over to Verizon when the Tour was released, but now I'm having second thoughts. I'm wondering if it might be better to wait a few more months (probably) and get the Onyx on AT&T.

I'm attracted to the size of the Onyx (all things considered, I ended up switching from a Curve to a Pearl largely because of form factor), the faster processor, and the ability to do voice and data simultaneously.

Meanwhile, my phone is giving me ****. The trackball is no longer a button--I have to hit the enter key to make a selection. The bottom row of buttons doesn't work consistently. The phone goes crippled if the battery gets down below 30% or so. And, randomly, the phone does all sorts of crazy and nonfunctional things.

I was urged in an earlier post to buy a used phone off eBay or Craigslist to last me until a new model is released. But I'm getting kind of impatient. I'm considering the 8900, again with form factor being one of the strongest points in its favor. I'm also open to any other suggestions. Would you wait it out, or would you take another path? Please let me know.
    06-14-09 12:16 PM
    I take it you no longer have the curve you switched from?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-14-09 05:10 PM
    I take it you no longer have the curve you switched from?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    No, I don't unfortunately.
    06-14-09 07:14 PM
    go with att. i like verizon i do but with att your possibilities are endless think how many gsm carriers there are as opposed to cdma. better phone imo anyways
    06-14-09 07:27 PM
    The 8900 is a pretty d@mn good phone and if you liked the pearl you'll love the 8900. Besides we may not see the onyx for quite awhile yet.
    06-14-09 07:36 PM
    The 8900 is a pretty d@mn good phone and if you liked the pearl you'll love the 8900. Besides we may not see the onyx for quite awhile yet.
    That's my biggest concern. I don't want to wait another seven months and still have no definitive end in sight. I would hope that wouldn't be the case, but there's no certainty.
    06-14-09 08:41 PM
    That's my biggest concern. I don't want to wait another seven months and still have no definitive end in sight. I would hope that wouldn't be the case, but there's no certainty.
    Perhaps you can find a used 8330 to hold you over? If your current device is close to disfunctional, I would certainly find an alternative to another contract before you are sure which of the hopefully-near-future-release devices will be right for you.
    06-14-09 08:46 PM
    Based on my research and pre-release speculation, I do believe the Onyx is the right device for me. Actually, it seems like the right device for everyone except those who want a wider keyboard. My sense is that it's still a little beyond the horizon though. I know it would kill sales in the interim, but it would make me much happier if RIM and the carriers would just let us all know when they expect these devices to become available.
    06-14-09 08:59 PM
    as it would all of us, but Like you just said, that's not profitable for RIM and most especially for the carriers that sell their products. (and still have PLENTY of older products in stock)

I am happy to have a rumor mill like this site though, to at least make me FEEL like a wiser consumer.

But my three weeks with a Storm made me appreciate the pun in the name.

I am fiending and hate to think of waiting another half year.
    06-14-09 09:30 PM
    Me too. I might have to kick myself off of CB until my Pearl croaks completely.
    06-14-09 09:44 PM
    Sad as it makes me... I would have to say wait and get the Onyx... voice and data, more memory then the bold and all those lovely radio's... I will leave my comments about at&t out of the convo..
    06-14-09 10:07 PM
    My only concern would be who has the better service in your area. That should always be your number one concern.
    06-15-09 12:04 AM
    I personally dont think the onyx will be out soon, at least not on at&t. I'd say its at least 6 months out at best. at&t just released the 8900 and it wouldn't make sense for them to replace it so soon. From what i can tell the 8900 is pretty much everything the onyx is except for 3g and maybe the trackpad. Benchmarks have shown that in the real world 3g isn't much faster than EDGE at downloads so why wait when you can have most of what the onyx will have today. Small form factor, full keyboard, 256 mb ram, wifi etc. thats just my opinion.
    06-15-09 10:43 AM
    I personally dont think the onyx will be out soon, at least not on at&t. I'd say its at least 6 months out at best. at&t just released the 8900 and it wouldn't make sense for them to replace it so soon. From what i can tell the 8900 is pretty much everything the onyx is except for 3g and maybe the trackpad. Benchmarks have shown that in the real world 3g isn't much faster than EDGE at downloads so why wait when you can have most of what the onyx will have today. Small form factor, full keyboard, 256 mb ram, wifi etc. thats just my opinion.
    This might be the right. Something to strongly consider at least. And I could always sell the 8900 to help pay for the Onyx when it comes out if I think it is a worthwhile upgrade.
    06-15-09 08:19 PM
    the tour is on sprint too.
    06-16-09 12:38 AM
    Yeah, so Sprint supposed to have 'tour' in 6 weeks or so. Maybe hold out for that, ejchis.

I'm having similar indecision myself. I'm a Sprinter and lets say 'Tour' arrives August 10 (just ballpark).
    'Onyx' predicted for Christmas, say December 1.
    So is the Onyx so much more bad@*** than Tour that its worth waiting 4 more months and jumping the fence to AT$T? I don't really know. I get it that going from Curve to Bold is huge, but is Tour to Onyx equally huge, or is the difference marginal? I'm really just into fast performance; bells and whistles don't matter (a new BBM interface, who cares).
    Whats the concensus?

And is the Onyx having a trackball or not?
    06-16-09 09:36 AM
    Yeah, so Sprint supposed to have 'tour' in 6 weeks or so. Maybe hold out for that, ejchis.

I'm having similar indecision myself. I'm a Sprinter and lets say 'Tour' arrives August 10 (just ballpark).
    So is the Onyx so much more bad@*** than Tour that its worth waiting 4 more months and jumping the fence to AT$T? I don't really know. I get it that going from Curve to Bold is huge, but is Tour to Onyx equally huge, or is the difference marginal? I'm really just into fast performance; bells and whistles don't matter (a new BBM interface, who cares).
    Whats the concensus?

I don't think any of that will matter if AT&T is shoddy in your area. So, that begs the question of who provides better service in your area? You will find yourself more frustrated without service and data capabilities no matter the handset. It'd be like having a really fast car, but no road to gallop on.
    06-16-09 11:00 AM

Whats the concensus?

I don't think that there will be a huge difference between Tour and Onyx. But the Onyx will have wifi, it'll be smaller like the 8900, possibly lighter, a faster processor and possibly have the new trackpad to name a few.
    06-16-09 12:13 PM

Whats the concensus?

You know, I was originally just going to stick it out for the Tour, but the form factor is a pretty big deal to me. When I'm at work, it's no big deal to toss the device in my suit jacket pocket. But, when I'm not wearing a jacket, I like to put a phone in my pocket that's as close to nothing as possible. That's what has me leaning toward the Onyx. I'm spoiled with the Pearl. It is darn close to being nothing in my pocket.
    06-17-09 04:50 PM
    You know, I was originally just going to stick it out for the Tour, but the form factor is a pretty big deal to me. When I'm at work, it's no big deal to toss the device in my suit jacket pocket. But, when I'm not wearing a jacket, I like to put a phone in my pocket that's as close to nothing as possible. That's what has me leaning toward the Onyx. I'm spoiled with the Pearl. It is darn close to being nothing in my pocket.
    That was my biggest reason for going with 8900. I went from a pearl to a Storm and thought I'd get used to the weight but that thing is just a brick and was always annoying to carry around. So the 8900 is like a breath of fresh air again. If I get the urge later on I'll sell this 8900 and get the Onyx when it comes out in nov - dec.
    06-18-09 07:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD