First of all, I cannot say how much I'm loving my new Bold. It's a true gentle beast. So beautiful. So right!

Since we have been blessed with a 6ish GB of internal media storage I have a few questions:

1. I was thinking of moving my microSD's files to the phone, what do you guys think? Anyone ventured into doing that or have you kept them separated?

2. Would the phone function any faster in retrieving images or where the images are located has no effect?

3. If I do a complete backup, would it also backup the media on the device (not microSD) i.e. the pictures that I moved, or is that irrelevant? Because when I want to manually restore specifics items from the last backup, I don't necessarily see any "Pictures" -- Wait, as I type, it occurred to me, perhaps they are installed on a complete different partition that has nothing to do with wiping the device or installing a new software?

If anyone can clarify those, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
    09-03-11 11:57 AM
    Bumping, sorry.
    09-08-11 08:39 PM
    First of all, I cannot say how much I'm loving my new Bold. It's a true gentle beast. So beautiful. So right!

Since we have been blessed with a 6ish GB of internal media storage I have a few questions:

1. I was thinking of moving my microSD's files to the phone, what do you guys think? Anyone ventured into doing that or have you kept them separated?

If you mean the 8GB membory and not the 768mb one, then you should be ok. I'd expect Class 6 or better to outperform the internal memory.

2. Would the phone function any faster in retrieving images or where the images are located has no effect?

Good question. If the speed of the internal memory is higher than the one of the SD card, the device should have a better time with files in the 8GB storage space. Run some tests, I'd say record a 5 minutes video (720p) and see how the device handles it on both cases.

3. If I do a complete backup, would it also backup the media on the device (not microSD) i.e. the pictures that I moved, or is that irrelevant? Because when I want to manually restore specifics items from the last backup, I don't necessarily see any "Pictures" -- Wait, as I type, it occurred to me, perhaps they are installed on a complete different partition that has nothing to do with wiping the device or installing a new software?

It didn't before, so I'm willing to bet it does not now. But you can use SugarSync. It allows you to upload files from the device to the cloud and vice versa.

Thanks!
    Go ahead and try, depending on the SD you have, you might actually get some benefit out of it. Problem is, it gets a little more complicated moving stuff around (can't hotswapt internal memory while you could have a few SD cards ready).
    jinxednuance likes this.
    09-08-11 11:18 PM
    Thank you very much!

Appreciated.
    09-09-11 05:57 AM

Thanks!
    Just to throw in another thought as to PRO in keeping ALL your media on your Micro SD it is just plain and simply a better idea to know exactly where all of this info is be it pics, music etc. and the bestthing of all so much frindlier in managing. If something goes wrong with the card, you can take it our, repair the problem and put it back into to the phone or switch to larger cards when needed instead of taking up internal memory. I would rather have that space(As I do - Bold 9930) for other things that I need on the device memory.
    09-09-11 11:56 AM
    Well, I personally only keep music and wallpapers in the SD card... Everything else is either in SugarSync, Kindle, 4shared, etc...

This way, should I lose the device, I don't lose the info.
    09-09-11 01:54 PM
    Just to throw in another thought as to PRO in keeping ALL your media on your Micro SD it is just plain and simply a better idea to know exactly where all of this info is be it pics, music etc. and the bestthing of all so much frindlier in managing. If something goes wrong with the card, you can take it our, repair the problem and put it back into to the phone or switch to larger cards when needed instead of taking up internal memory. I would rather have that space(As I do - Bold 9930) for other things that I need on the device memory.
    I see where you're coming from but since the 6GB is there what else can you use it other than storing media related stuff?
    09-09-11 04:10 PM
    I see where you're coming from but since the 6GB is there what else can you use it other than storing media related stuff?
    I never said that you could not use the roughly 6-8 gb of internal media storage for what you want. The reason I would not prefer it and rather use what I use and that is a 16gb Micro SD card is that I can manage the content on it easier, swap it between my TOur which is still active or place it back into my 9930. It is just my preference and the main thing is that if anything ever happens to your phone you have all the media internal on the phone that you might not be able to retrieve where you can by taking out the SD card.
    09-09-11 06:22 PM
    I never said that you could not use the roughly 6-8 gb of internal media storage for what you want. The reason I would not prefer it and rather use what I use and that is a 16gb Micro SD card is that I can manage the content on it easier, swap it between my TOur which is still active or place it back into my 9930. It is just my preference and the main thing is that if anything ever happens to your phone you have all the media internal on the phone that you might not be able to retrieve where you can by taking out the SD card.
    Ah yes, you make perfect sense. But I was thinking of it from a "security" point, I have some media files that I wouldn't like to particularly share with the world (pictures to be exact) and so I am always worried that if my phone gets stolen, the person can simply remove the MicroSD and see everything.
    However, if that was to happen on the internet phone memory, it would be difficult since he would need the password to unlock the phone, otherwise he/she would have to wipe everything.

Or am I thinking of it wrong?

Thanks
    09-10-11 07:56 AM
    Well, I personally only keep music and wallpapers in the SD card... Everything else is either in SugarSync, Kindle, 4shared, etc...

This way, should I lose the device, I don't lose the info.
    ^ +1 Gone are the days I lose any data/info when changing or reformatting a device.
    09-10-11 08:39 AM
    ^ +1 Gone are the days I lose any data/info when changing or reformatting a device.
    I'm a little worried about security, especially after the wave of attacks that targeted big companies.
    09-10-11 08:57 AM
    Ah yes, you make perfect sense. But I was thinking of it from a "security" point, I have some media files that I wouldn't like to particularly share with the world (pictures to be exact) and so I am always worried that if my phone gets stolen, the person can simply remove the MicroSD and see everything.
    However, if that was to happen on the internet phone memory, it would be difficult since he would need the password to unlock the phone, otherwise he/she would have to wipe everything.

Or am I thinking of it wrong?

Thanks
    I don't know what you are talking about when you say"Internet Phone Memory" The info you speak of you have a choice to save it to your Micro SD card which is the preference of most or your phone. If you save it to your phone and it is stolen only if you locked it will you be safe and then someone can always hack that.

You would best to save it to your SD card IMO but that is up to you. If you are that worried than install a remote wipr app so if it is stolen YOU can wipe the phone. I think you are being paranoid and with a card like a 16gb like I use you will never fit what you have on that unless it is a ton of music or videos.
    09-10-11 10:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD