Hi guys.....

I'm trying to take a vacation from this digital era...

When I search...I got a bold 9900

But I will be satisfied if I could get access to Spotify (or any other music streaming platform) and maps
    08-11-20 08:12 AM
    BOLD requires BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) to be offered by your Service Provider (Carrier).

Need to start there..... In some markets (USA) most Carriers aren't activating non-LTE devices anymore.

Problem is even if Spotify worked today... it might not tomorrow. (do think that it does - and there are still mapping options)

Be much better off buying a current device thats getting updates and patch and is compatible with today world (not a BlackBerry)... and supported by all services today.
    08-11-20 11:15 AM
    BOLD requires BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) to be offered by your Service Provider (Carrier).

Need to start there..... In some markets (USA) most Carriers aren't activating non-LTE devices anymore.

Problem is even if Spotify worked today... it might not tomorrow. (do think that it does - and there are still mapping options)

Be much better off buying a current device thats getting updates and patch and is compatible with today world (not a BlackBerry)... and supported by all services today.
    There was a workaround getting the 9900 to work without BIS. I remember trying it and it actually worked. That was years ago and can't remember how I did it or where I found the instructions.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-20 10:21 PM
    There was a workaround getting the 9900 to work without BIS. I remember trying it and it actually worked. That was years ago and can't remember how I did it or where I found the instructions.

Posted via CB10
    This... The Bold Explorer

Kind of like sticking with square wheels after the invention of round ones....
    08-12-20 07:29 AM
    Yes... but if the OP is in the US, that's irrelevant, because you can't activate a BBOS phone anymore, and within 6-9 months, depending on carrier, no BBOS phone will work on any US cellular network. All 3G services are ending, and BBOS doesn't have or support LTE data connections, which is all that will be left. Thus, carriers stopped allowing non-LTE phones to be activated a while back.

If the OP is outside the US, then that transition will take longer, but it's coming to all developed locations within the next 2-3 years.
    08-13-20 01:26 AM
    Get something else.
    I tried it last year, and the music quality was horrible and cut every few minutes.
    A $30 Android phone is currently offering way better services.
    08-13-20 01:39 AM
    Hi guys.....

I'm trying to take a vacation from this digital era...

When I search...I got a bold 9900

But I will be satisfied if I could get access to Spotify (or any other music streaming platform) and maps
    Errrmmm.. I thought you were try to take a vacation from this digital era?

May I introduce you to a thing called 'FM radio'? Believe it or not it's a thing. There's tons of channels, it streams all sorts of music, talk & news. It's all free, you don't need an account and there's no tracking of personal info whatsoever. Many cell phones since the 2G era already have this feature built in! Amazing, eh?

As for maps, I like to use this thing called 'offline maps'. Yeah, you just download the maps to your device and then it gives you directions based on the GPS receiver already in your phone. No need for any other connection. Talk about crazy, eh? You can get that on all sorts of phones from ancient Androids, old BlackBerry's, Windows phones. Anything, just pick up any random device from eBay.
    I recommend a Microsoft Lumia 650. Got me one of them for $37. Can't lose.
    08-13-20 05:03 PM
    Errrmmm.. I thought you were try to take a vacation from this digital era?

May I introduce you to a thing called 'FM radio'? Believe it or not it's a thing. There's tons of channels, it streams all sorts of music, talk & news. It's all free, you don't need an account and there's no tracking of personal info whatsoever. Many cell phones since the 2G era already have this feature built in! Amazing, eh?

As for maps, I like to use this thing called 'offline maps'. Yeah, you just download the maps to your device and then it gives you directions based on the GPS receiver already in your phone. No need for any other connection. Talk about crazy, eh? You can get that on all sorts of phones from ancient Androids, old BlackBerry's, Windows phones. Anything, just pick up any random device from eBay.
    I recommend a Microsoft Lumia 650. Got me one of them for $37. Can't lose.
    I know....it sounds weird. I'm trying to take a break specifically from social media. But I love hearing to Spotify. I hope you could understand.

FM radio wouldn't be a good option because I'm surrounded by buildings and trees.

But I'll consider offline maps

Thanks to all
    08-14-20 01:48 AM
    And you couldn't just, ummm, you know, NOT install any of the other social media apps? Temptation too great?
    08-15-20 10:48 PM
    How can we download offline maps to bold?
    08-16-20 08:44 AM
    You know for what you want I really wouldn't consider a Bold. You'd need BIS which is potentially a problem.
    I know this is Crackberry, but I'd recommend you pick up a Windows Phone. Even the last Lumia 650 is a pretty decent device and can be had for super cheap on eBay. Might even find one for less than a meal.
    I just checked mine, it has the official Spotify app. You can navigate with the default Maps or Sygic Maps. And it has basically nothing else!
    In a pinch the Edge browser is still very decent.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-16-20 02:38 PM
    How can we download offline maps to bold?
    See the link I posted...

But your trying to go on vacation... without a real smartphone?

For the camera alone I'd pick up a Pixel 3a or iPhone SE.

Many vacation destinations.... have apps that make your visit better.
    Very least need something with a decent browser and LTE speeds.
    Modern devices have much better GPS capabilities... and modern apps that let you know what's around you of interest.
    Most carriers offer newer bands that the BOLD doesn't support... you may find yourself without even a phone to use.

I get no wanting the social media stuff... so uninstall it. But I don't see limiting your experience because you have a "problem" with social media.
    08-17-20 07:56 AM
    I just want to say... I'm still on a Bold. BIS thru AT &T. I love this thing and may need to jump off a cliff at the end of the year when AT&T discontinues service (and BIS). How do you guys live without filters? Every single freaking message comes to your phone? I'm with OP, and I say go for it. Three more months is 3 more months :-) That said, i can't sync my calendars anymore and no, no music. But email & text and FILTERS...
    to boldly go and idssteve like this.
    08-24-20 09:46 PM
    I just want to say... I'm still on a Bold. BIS thru AT &T. I love this thing and may need to jump off a cliff at the end of the year when AT&T discontinues service (and BIS). How do you guys live without filters? Every single freaking message comes to your phone? I'm with OP, and I say go for it. Three more months is 3 more months :-) That said, i can't sync my calendars anymore and no, no music. But email & text and FILTERS...
    Get yourself a Classic after your Bold dies.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-20 01:36 PM
    With AT&T, you have until Feb 2022. So, a little more time. Unless AT&T shuts off BIS separately before then.
    Get yourself a Classic after your Bold dies.

Posted via CB10
    He'd still be in the same boat. Along with the 3G shutdown, only certain whitelisted older phones that work with AT&T's VoLTE will be allowed on the network - whether they have LTE or not.

The Classic ain't one of them.
    08-26-20 01:45 PM
    Yeah, AT&T writes me daily to scare me into buying a non-BB phone because they're discontinuing legacy devices. Looking at a KeyTwo now... but does anyone know how to block incoming messages/turn off push for certain messages, the way filters do for the Bold (via BIS)? I'm actually a freelancer, not using any corporate servers...
    08-26-20 02:13 PM
    Yeah, AT&T writes me daily to scare me into buying a non-BB phone because they're discontinuing legacy devices. Looking at a KeyTwo now... but does anyone know how to block incoming messages/turn off push for certain messages, the way filters do for the Bold (via BIS)? I'm actually a freelancer, not using any corporate servers...
    Don't risk a Key2 on AT&T until certain VoLTE is supported.
    08-26-20 04:01 PM
    AT&T sent me an email that made me assume VoLTE would be supported if i ditched the bold and got a newer blackbery:
    "In May 2019, to prepare for the upcoming 3G shutdown, we'll update the access point name (APN) in the settings of older BlackBerry devices. Basically, your device uses the APN to send info over our cellular network to the internet. Right now, some BlackBerry devices (those with a device code 7.x and below) use the Blackberry.net APN for email delivery and other activities. We're replacing that APN with the new NextGenPhone APN so your BlackBerry will work on our LTE/VoLTE cellular network. This means that you can avoid downtime when we shut down our 3G network starting in 2022."

Doesn't this mean the KeyTwo will be supported VoLTE by AT&T
    08-26-20 04:12 PM
    AT&T sent me an email that made me assume VoLTE would be supported if i ditched the bold and got a newer blackbery:
    "In May 2019, to prepare for the upcoming 3G shutdown, we'll update the access point name (APN) in the settings of older BlackBerry devices. Basically, your device uses the APN to send info over our cellular network to the internet. Right now, some BlackBerry devices (those with a device code 7.x and below) use the Blackberry.net APN for email delivery and other activities. We're replacing that APN with the new NextGenPhone APN so your BlackBerry will work on our LTE/VoLTE cellular network. This means that you can avoid downtime when we shut down our 3G network starting in 2022."

It means that AT&T will support AT&T carrier sold BlackBerrys that it sold
    08-26-20 04:20 PM

What Chuck said.

AT&T has a list of supported devices and the only BlackBerry phones on it are the AT&T branded android phones they sold - the Priv and Key1.

They may decide to open that up to more unlocked phones in the future, but that list is small right now.
    08-26-20 05:53 PM