Not sure 9780 ever had it (my old 9700 does) but I gave my 9780 to my fiance, was going to show her how to choose wifi/mobile preference but notice that that particular button ("connection preferences") does not exist. The BB website seems to indicate it does. I have the latest OS version for that phone installed. Ideas?

Thanks
    11-29-13 05:06 PM
    11-29-13 08:27 PM
    Thanks for the link. I had actually seen the first one. Inexplicably, my network (T-Mobile) does have UMA and yet still no connection preferences. The 9700 (same network) does have them. I seem to recall that at one point the 9780 in question also had them and they seem to have disappeared. As long as wifi kicks in automatically, this is not a big deal but it's a nice option to have to make sure
    11-29-13 09:50 PM
    Not quite sure which bit you mean by a "Connection preferences button".... so I'll pass on two different answers. Especially as there are subtle differences on OS6 compared with your older 9700.

1\ Scroll to the top of the front screen so you highlight the top bar with the clock/date/connection icons and click here. This takes you towards the various options you can set. On this page you'll see you can toggle 'Mobile Network', 'WiFi' and 'Bluetooth'. (I find this handy for a quick restart of the connection if you get signal hassles). As well as having an 'All Connections Off' button here.

2\ Now scroll down to 'Options' - the main Blackberry options. Locate 'Network and Connections', then 'Mobile Network'. I assume this is the section you want as in here you can now choose to set the 'Connection Preference' to 'Wifi Preferred'

Oh - and make sure you update that OS. Get onto at least .666 for a much better experience that the default OS. Or the very latest is .756. (See other threads below or in my history to explain how to upgrade)
    11-30-13 04:44 AM
    Thanks for the reply! As I said, I do have the latest update (at least my BB Desktop tells me I do )
    I performed all the steps you outline before I posted here but the problem is that while I have Network and Connections and Mobile Network, I do NOT have the Connection Preferences option. That is the whole problem - it's there on the old 9700 which does not have updated software and it is simply not there as an option on the 9780 I gave to my fiance
    11-30-13 07:28 AM
    First - don't think, know. The Desktop Software only hands you what yoru phone supplier has decided is the latest version of the OS. Usually there will be better versions available. All OS releases are carrier independent once you delete the vendor.xml files.

Hold the three keys <ALT>+<SHIFT>+<H> at the same time. Scroll down to App Version and read that out. On my phone it is 6.0.0.666 (2921) which would be referred to as OS Version .666 on this forum.

What OS does your phone say it has if you do the above three key press?
    What carrier are you using?
    And do you have any carrier-specific app installed that may have disabled this feature?

From the top of the page I have:

Data Services: <On or Off>
    While Roaming: <On, Off, Prompt>
    Then a grey line the width of screen.
    Connection Preference: <Mobile Network Only, Mobile Network Preferred, WiFi Only, WiFi Preferred>
    (Note that this button for the choice is actually full width of the screen)
    Then a grey line the width of screen.
    Mobile Network: EE (My carrier)
    Network Selection Mode: <Automatic, Manual>
    Network Mode: <3G, 2G, 3G&2G>

I'll try and get a screenshot sorted to show you this screen better.
    connection preferences button missing-s13_11_30__14_26_17.jpg
    A screenshot from my phone (thanks to the rather excellent Advanced OS and LED).

Personally I purchased my Bold 9780 unlocked. Independent of my carrier. So have never had any carrier applications on here. As far as I know, once you install an OS without a specific vendor.xml file, you don't have any carrier specific restrictions on the phone. It is the same as everyone else's then. BUT I am not 100% sure about this as I have never really played with a Bold direct from a phone company.
    Last edited by Batter Pudding; 11-30-13 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Added screenshot
    11-30-13 08:20 AM
    I also purchased mine unlocked. I'm with T-Mobile (USA) Thanks for all your input...will get back to you with deets later tonight or tomorrow; am curious as to what I will see once I perform those steps.

Incidentally, the phone I am using now (Bold 9900) does not have the "network preferences" option either but it NEVER had it, so it doesn't matter either way. I seem to recall vaguely that the 9700 in question did have it and then it mysteriously disappeared which is what bugs me. But thanks again, I'll keep working on it
    11-30-13 01:51 PM
    That is a good start. As an unlocked phone you'll be able to get that button one way or another. Even if you have to print out that screenshot and stick it onto the phone ARF!!

I have never used the OS supplied by my carrier (Orange UK, now called EE). Always upgrading using loader.exe. And I have always seen that button there when I have looked for it. I have also never had a single Orange\EE application on this phone. Ever.

It may just be that the OS being offered by T-Mobile is "customised" to their choices, or they have an app running, that could be suppressing this button.

If T-Mobile USA supports UMA calling - then give the .666 OS a go. Has worked great for me. Nothing funnier than being with an iPhone owner, deep in a basement when my phone rings and I carry on a conversation deep underground. After the call the poor iPhone user looks quizzically at me... "How did you do that when there is no reception down here?". My standard answer is: "I have a phone, you have an iTunes iShopping iDevice"
    11-30-13 02:17 PM
    The "network preferences" will only show up if the uma profile is defined in the phone.

for Orange UK you should have :

Orange UK

display name: orange uk
    operator name: orange uk uma
    uma protocol version 1.0.3
    provisioning unc address: unc.singlephone.orange.co.uk
    provisioning unc port: 14001
    provisioning segw address: singlephone.orange.co.uk
    SEGW Certificate: Equifax secure certificate authority (the one that has 2 geotrust universal entries after it)

To enter the UMA profile you need to enter the engineering menu. (google is your friend)
    03-31-14 12:31 PM