About an hour ago, I switched from my old Nokia to a Blackberry Bold 9700. My BB is my uncle's old BB and I've used it fine previously, however this is the first time I have tried to connect to the Internet.

I was able to find my home wi-fi network and connect to it. However, the connection was VERY slow. Not sure if there is anything I can do about that.

But how do I connect to the wi-fi network of my service provider? I was able to do this fine with my Nokia but I don't know what to do with the BB.

The browser won't let me connect to the Internet and I also can't use apps, like facebook.

If I go Manage Connections > Service Status it says that BIS & BES are both not connected. I have no idea what these are but does that have something to do with it?

Sorry for all the rookie questions!
    07-06-13 12:12 AM
    You will need a BlackBerry Data Plan in order to fully use the Internet on a BlackBerry OS device.

These plans are separate to your standard data plan.
    07-06-13 12:16 AM
    I live in Australia. And I have an Optus plan. So I have to get another plan, entirely, to be able to use Internet on a Blackberry? I had no idea! I might re-think using this phone...
    07-06-13 06:09 AM
    Ive come to the same conclusion after arriving back from Europe BB aren't very popular here and if you want a specific plan you won't get much change out of $50. Especially when you look at some of the unlimited talk/txt plans out there.

It's a shame as BB make great phones, I think RIM's days are numbered unless they pull something out the bag.
    07-29-13 10:30 PM
    I live in Australia. And I have an Optus plan. So I have to get another plan, entirely, to be able to use Internet on a Blackberry? I had no idea! I might re-think using this phone...
    Call your carrier and ask how much do they charge BIS (you don't need BES if you're ordinary user), it's whole new world out there with BB device and BIS activated! Trust me!
    I've been Nokia user for like forever, but BB rulez!
    08-01-13 06:01 AM