i'm currently with at&t and have an apple iPhone.
    my contract is over in october
    i'm over the iPhone craze and looking to buy a new phone.
    blackberries have always been in the back of my mind so i did some searching but still confused.

i'm wanting advice towards getting the latest/greatest blackberry available soon. i've seen the onyx and the storm and then i've seen them referred to as a bunch of model numbers, which i guess is with different carriers, so i don't know which i'm looking at when it's reffered to as something else.
    i'm really interested in the upcoming onyx and storm2 phones.
    also what networks would they be on and what are they reffered to there...
    and pros and cons would be very helpful too.
    thanks all bb smarties!!
    09-13-09 07:48 PM

blackberries have always been in the back of my mind so i did some searching but still confused.

i'm wanting advice towards getting the latest/greatest blackberry available soon. i've seen the onyx and the storm and then i've seen them referred to as a bunch of model numbers, which i guess is with different carriers, so i don't know which i'm looking at when it's reffered to as something else.
    thanks all bb smarties!!
    It can be confusing at times. Different carriers (at&t, verizon, t-mobile carry different brands of blackberry. At&t probably has the best selections of blackberries of them all. Storm is a verizon phone and bb's answer I believe to the iphone. What phone you select depends on where you live and what you want from a phone. I live in an area with no 3G so a 3G phone is useless. I wanted wireless so I have the Curve 8900. Really like it. However, if you have great 3G where you are, you might want a Bold. If you like a touch screen and want a bb, I've heard that the newer storm will be carried by AT&T but I don't know when it will be released. I don't necessarily follow all of that. I like my 8900. To get a better idea of what kind of phone you like I'd go to the AT&T wireless site and you can get an idea of what you'd like. HOpe this helps.
    09-13-09 08:10 PM
    It's always fun to get a new phone You have to ask yourself a few questions first, though.

Are you happy with AT&T? Are there specific features that will make it or break it for you?

The phone is only part of the experience. I wouldn't mind it if they made a Storm/Bold/Onyx combo, so that it'd almost look like a G1 with trackpad instead of ball but you know, beggars can't be choosers... :P

Being you won't be under contract anymore, I'd say wait and see what comes out before or during the holiday season to save a few bucks. Also, shove that iPhone on CraigsList or sell it in the Crackberry Marketplace to save even MORE money!
    09-13-09 08:19 PM
    Thanks guys. For clarification, I do want 3G & WIFI. I don't mind switching carriers also to get the best blackberry experience in upcoming/rumored models u specified if those are even the latest...
    09-13-09 08:24 PM
    I think the Storm 2 will be good for you since you're used to touch screen device and I'm guessing don't really need a physical keyboard
    09-13-09 08:35 PM
    If you have good AT&T coverage, I would recommend getting either the Bold now, or wait for the Onyx when it's released soon (it's the Bold successor).

They have both 3G and WiFi; I believe no other current BB has both. The Verizon Tour has "3G" but no WiFi. The BB Curve 8900 has WiFi but no 3G. The Bold is pretty big, but it has a fantastic keyboard, screen, and speakers. Its limitations are pretty much typical BB issues: limited memory, mediocre native browser, somewhat dated OS (though very efficient).

If you want a smaller form factor and better camera, the Curve 8900 has it, along with more native memory, a great screen, and UMA. But again, it has no 3G which was a show-stopper for me.

The "coup de grace" for me, though, is that AT&T's 3G allows simultaneous voice and data, which Verizon/Sprint don't. This means you can send/receive emails, download, use GPS, or basically use data-apps while talking (as long as you are in a 3G area). You can't do that on the others.

And of course, since these have WiFi, you can use that while talking, too, if available.

Just some things to consider. Above all else, coverage is king. Wherever you are the most, you need good coverage. The device features should be secondary to that.

Whatever you get, good luck.
    09-13-09 11:01 PM
    I think BBwise the Storm2 or the Oynx/Bold2 are your best options. Networkwise, Verizon & ATT are better networks, with Verizon probably be slightly better in most areas, BUT both are good. Tmobile & Sprint are cheaper, but the networks are not as good.
    09-13-09 11:07 PM
    How much do you like the touchscreen on the iPhone? Is the touchscreen something can't live without or would you prefer a full keyboard.

AT&T won't release Storm2 this year and IMO probably not next year either. They are (for the moment) committing to only one high end touchscreen, the iPhone.

Since you are eligible in October for new HW I would say give it a couple extra weeks and pickup the 9700 upon its expected release in early November.

PG
    09-14-09 09:26 AM
    I think it is hilarious how people bag on other carriers all of the time like you did pkcable....I worked for Sprint for 7 years and have a lot of inside technical knowledge in the industry. Verizon's moniker "Its the network" is funny to me because at any given moment in a day up to 40% of Verizon calls are carried over or switched to the Sprint network because Verizon's network is smaller than Sprint's. I have had a lot of carriers service in my life (ATT, Sprint, Verizon, TMobile, Cellular One, etc). NONE of them are perfect. All of them have areas where there service sucks. I know for many their opinions are formed based on personal experiences and I completely get that. My opinions are formed based on actually having had every carrier available where ever I have been at. Just some food for thought. Have a good one.
    09-14-09 10:07 AM
    I think it is hilarious how people bag on other carriers all of the time like you did pkcable....I worked for Sprint for 7 years and have a lot of inside technical knowledge in the industry. Verizon's moniker "Its the network" is funny to me because at any given moment in a day up to 40% of Verizon calls are carried over or switched to the Sprint network because Verizon's network is smaller than Sprint's. I have had a lot of carriers service in my life (ATT, Sprint, Verizon, TMobile, Cellular One, etc). NONE of them are perfect. All of them have areas where there service sucks. I know for many their opinions are formed based on personal experiences and I completely get that. My opinions are formed based on actually having had every carrier available where ever I have been at. Just some food for thought. Have a good one.
    I haven't worked for anybody but what you say makes a lot of sense. Let's face it, if each carrier relied solely on its own infrastructure there would be a lot less coverage than there is. I think this is the major reason that we are able to make calls with no roaming charges as there used to be. The carriers realized that they could make more working together than nickle and dimeing each other.

Some carrier specific features may not be supported by all or may be limited outside the "home" area so it still makes sense to know your coverage area. I just think that,for the most part, who has the best network AT&T/VZW is more a product of their respective marketing divisions than it is reality.
    09-14-09 11:29 AM
    @LuvmyBB

How does the bold have limited memory? It comes with 1GB and you can still add an SD card to hold all of your music etc. Unless I'm wrong can't you use that 1GB for apps???

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-14-09 12:12 PM
    @LuvmyBB

How does the bold have limited memory? It comes with 1GB and you can still add an SD card to hold all of your music etc. Unless I'm wrong can't you use that 1GB for apps???

No, you can't use the 1GB for apps. You have 128MB as the theoretical max for app memory. Most users end up with 20-50MB free memory after installing their favorite apps. If you want tons and tons of apps, you are going to be very limited.

You can use the SD card for all your media files, but you can't run apps from there. You can use Aerize Card Loader to save and reload apps, but it's somewhat limited, has mixed reviews, and doesn't truly let you run apps from it.
    09-14-09 12:50 PM
    Only 128mb haha sorry I have the 8310 and only have about 27-30mb free from the start for apps which actually does cover what I truly need/use and end up around 14MB free granted I did have to remove pandora, bb map, bolt, and a few others but those are also apps I rarely use or there's other apps that cover those needs, I do miss pandora but can only use it with headphones due to it making my speaker go crazy while streaming the song. I can't wait til the onyx is out on att give me my 256mb and never have to worry plus 3G. And its fast haha

09-14-09 01:05 PM
    Where I'm at in Ohio, (from personal experience) TMO and Sprint have lousy service. If you're inside with either of them, you can't make or get a call. VZW and AT&T are both good. I switched from VZW to AT&T. I would have said VZW was the better of the two, but AT&T service is exceptional since I bought a BB. It's the only phone I've had with them that didn't drop calls. PKCable was probably also speaking from his personal experience. Just a guess.

Other than that, I agree that it's personal preference on phones/carriers. I wanted a Bold 9000 but I'm afraid now I have to wait to compare it to the 9700. I'm so confused! ;-)
    Last edited by brindaarnold; 09-14-09 at 02:39 PM.
    09-14-09 02:17 PM
    the 9700 is hard to resist. every time i look at it, it makes me want it more.
    09-14-09 06:47 PM
    09-15-09 05:59 AM

thanks all bb smarties!!

Att and the Onyx, will blow the iPhone outa the water.
    09-17-09 03:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD