I just bought a BB Bold used. I'm trying to read info about upgrading the OS. I'm confused about the whole OS situation.

I see that theres many different version numbers out there. Where would I download the official/beta OS from?

I also read that you should download the OS from your provider because its tweaked to accommodate your provider's network settings and etc?? So your suppose to install an OS depending on the provider your currently using? or is it depending on what provider the phone is locked to?

So there are versions from RIM & Providers?
    02-06-09 02:49 AM
    official release is .216. it is sticky on the forums here - the links are there
    beta releases, you can go to the OS Beta discussion threads - the links are there too

i don't use my carrier's os. they are usually rather slow in pushing out os.

just delete the vendor xml file and you are good to load the os.

here a starting read:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/prop...ocedure-53359/
    Last edited by danielx; 02-06-09 at 03:10 AM.
    02-06-09 03:08 AM
    thanks daniel.

So theres 2 kinds? the OS by rim, and the modified OS by the carriers?

If we are "supposed" to use the OS by our carriers, why does RIM release theirs out to the public?
    02-06-09 03:33 AM
    the two kinds are the official and beta

i stand corrected but to my knowledge, these os (official or beta) are from RIM.

betas are dropped into the public domain and guys like me load them up. of course there are risks since these betas are not tried and tested except by those who load them and post their findings. so the risk is there

official os are pushed out by carriers themselves. the betas that carriers deem stable are pushed out and the betas are therefore 'official'.

if i am not wrong, .216 was a beta and is now an official release
    so in essence, the .216 beta is no different from the .216 'official'

well, technically, we are 'supposed' to use the os by our carriers coz for the device to remain under warranty, we aren't supposed to tamper with the software. but a sneaky way around it is to load the carrier's official os back up if u ever need to bring it back
    02-06-09 03:41 AM
    Hey kenny. I have no idea why different carriers release their software at different times - I guess maybe it depends on their in-house testing teams? Either way, the latest *official* OS is .216 which, as danielx wrote, can be found at the top of forums.

What is your current OS? I always advice my friends who buy blackberrys not to upgrade their OS straight away, and should only do so once they're comfortable with using the phone. In some cases, they realise that they're happy with their current OS and feel no need to upgrade until their carrier's official release. Either way, i'd spend a few days reading up on the upgrading procedure so that you fully understand what needs to be done, if anything.
    02-06-09 03:43 AM
    actually, i do agree with the above post.
    play around with your bb for a while first and in the meantime, read the threads on upgrading as well as the findings threads on the various os

don't be in a hurry to upgrade for the sake of it unless you have issues. upgrading isn't as tough as it seems but it is a terrible experience when the device is nuked.

so read up a bit and upgrade when you are pretty sure you know what to do
    02-06-09 03:54 AM
    hmmm, I am still a bit confused.

The stickied NEWEST official OS .216, is intended for EVEA correct?

My provider is AT&T and their official newest OS is .167.

Is there a difference between the OS pushed out by providers?
    For example, if Tmobile offered .216 and AT&T offered .216, is there any differences between the two? Are they tailored for that specific carrier?
    02-06-09 03:54 AM
    the stickied .216 is from Avea
    but it can still be loaded on any bold. just as long as you delete the vendor.xml file

no there is no difference between a beta .216, a Tmobile .216 or an AT&T .216.
    02-06-09 03:56 AM
    the stickied .216 is from Avea
    but it can still be loaded on any bold. just as long as you delete the vendor.xml file

no there is no difference between a beta .216, a Tmobile .216 or an AT&T .216.
    thanks for the help danielx. I thought each carrier "changed it up" a bit to meet their network's need, maybe i misread it somewhere
    02-06-09 04:00 AM
    not that i know of.
    i remember the mods mentioning to some others that there wasn't a need to reload an official version when they were running the beta version because they are the same

you might want to verify that and share the intel
    02-06-09 04:09 AM
    try 210 best one out for battery life and loudspeaker clarity.
    02-06-09 05:43 PM
    try 210 best one out for battery life and loudspeaker clarity.
    Thanks. So I can install any .210 OS?
    whether its .210 BETA, .210 AT&T, .210 Tmobile, .210 Verizon?

So correct me if im wrong, only CARRIER'S announce something as "official" right? Everything RIM releases, they are all considered BETA to them?
    02-06-09 05:50 PM
    There are better versions available than .210. Many people stayed with .214 or .216 until .234 came out recently.

And a note on "official" os releases: They are usually released by European carriers for their networks. The only "official" AT&T OS is .167. If you load any other OS and need to return your phone for some reason, you will need to downgrade to .167 or AT&T may not honor your warranty.
    02-06-09 06:06 PM

And a note on "official" os releases: They are usually released by European carriers for their networks. The only "official" AT&T OS is .167. If you load any other OS and need to return your phone for some reason, you will need to downgrade to .167 or AT&T may not honor your warranty.
    That is exactly what I praise each and every time someone makes a post on here about how they're going to be sending their phone back for some reason. No company is obligated to honor the warranty once they find out that you've put on your own OS on the device. That's tanatmaunt to opening the phone up for whatever reason. Absolute warranty voider.
    02-06-09 06:26 PM
    Thanks for all the replies guys. But it still doesn't answer my question about whether .210 BETA, .210 AT&T, .210 Tmobile, .210 Verizon are any different.

So correct me if im wrong, only CARRIER'S announce something as "official" right? Everything RIM releases, they are all considered BETA to them?
    02-06-09 07:01 PM
    Thanks for all the replies guys. But it still doesn't answer my question about whether .210 BETA, .210 AT&T, .210 Tmobile, .210 Verizon are any different.

210 beta might be different. After all, it's beta, not a final release. But 210 official is the same on any carrier, although I doubt you will find it to be the official for multiple carriers. There probably are slight differences between each point update to fit a specific carrier's network. I think that's why different people have different results. A lot of people love 216. You also find a bunch of threads where people are having serious issues with 216. You may or may not have issues going from 167 to anything else. I would read a bit here before upgrading and see what users on your carriers are saying.
    02-06-09 07:47 PM
    You're reading too deeply into the semantics. RIM releases an OS and it goes out to the carriers for testing. If they like it, they approve it and it become's their "official" OS. European carriers are pretty good about blessing the newer versions as "official", whereas US carriers are very slow to push out a new OS. To them, if the one they have works, there's no need to change it unless there's a MAJOR improvement, such as going from 4.2 to 4.5.
    02-06-09 08:00 PM
    What a joke this os crap is. If you buy a computer you can get updates downloaded to fix bugs...RIM is smoking crack making people wipe and download new os for every freaking bug.

This is a total joke.....
    02-06-09 09:47 PM
    I have never wiped my either of my Blackberrys to perform an OS upgrade. By the way, a Blackberry is not a computer. It may be able to function similarly, but the hardware and software are fundamentally different. Your computer doesn't run entirely off of the java vitual machine and has much more system resources to use.

That, and RIM doesn't make anyone update their OS. Do it or don't. It's your call.
    02-06-09 10:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD