I'm a little concerned with the new cameras on the upcoming Blackberrys being EDOF (Extended Depth of Field) or All Focus vs. the Auto Focus we're used to.

For example, my 9550 is Auto Focus and takes some pretty nicely focused shots. I would say its low light photos aren't the best due to a small sensor and grainy shots are a result. But when focusing on a closeup object/writing, it is surprisingly good.

In contrast, I hear this is an issue with many Nokias that use EDOF. I hear the 99xx and other upcoming BlackBerrys are also EDOF or "All Focus". These cameras are more software enhanced with tricks to make an image more clear to my understanding.

Some of the benefits with using EDOF are that they are cheaper to manufacture and often thinner. Also, they are better with video capturing. I believe this is the same technology used on the Playbook.

Anyone with further expertise in this area care or a 99xx on hand care to elaborate? From what I've seen, the camera is constantly trying to stay in focus and immediately snaps when the "snap" button is pressed. This seems to make it faster rather than waiting for a focus to occur but might result in poor shots.

I'm hoping the cameras have not been downgraded from current Auto Focus BlackBerrys. Thoughts?
    07-09-11 10:46 PM
    I'm a little concerned with the new cameras on the upcoming Blackberrys being EDOF (Extended Depth of Field) or All Focus vs. the Auto Focus we're used to.

For example, my 9550 is Auto Focus and takes some pretty nicely focused shots. I would say its low light photos aren't the best due to a small sensor and grainy shots are a result. But when focusing on a closeup object/writing, it is surprisingly good.

In contrast, I hear this is an issue with many Nokias that use EDOF. I hear the 99xx and other upcoming BlackBerrys are also EDOF or "All Focus". These cameras are more software enhanced with tricks to make an image more clear to my understanding.

Some of the benefits with using EDOF are that they are cheaper to manufacture and often thinner. Also, they are better with video capturing. I believe this is the same technology used on the Playbook.

Anyone with further expertise in this area care or a 99xx on hand care to elaborate? From what I've seen, the camera is constantly trying to stay in focus and immediately snaps when the "snap" button is pressed. This seems to make it faster rather than waiting for a focus to occur but might result in poor shots.

I'm hoping the cameras have not been downgraded from current Auto Focus BlackBerrys. Thoughts?
    I was actually worrying about this too.. My bold 9650 takes PHENOMENAL pictures compared to my cousins torch and even my step dads playbook.. I love the camera on my Bold even though it takes a few seconds to take the picture with it.. Hope it is decent on the 9900 :/
    07-10-11 03:03 AM
    I'm pretty sure that it has auto-focus. BlackBerry Bold Touch 9900 - Full phone specifications
    07-10-11 03:11 PM
    I'm pretty sure that it has auto-focus. BlackBerry Bold Touch 9900 - Full phone specifications
    I can't take that spec sheet too seriously. It's not official. I feel like they just listed auto focus as an assumption since most smartphones have one now, and BlackBerrys usually do.

Also on the site you listed it says "Disclaimer. We can not guarantee that the information on this page is 100% correct."

Several videos I have seen had the RIM reps confirming it is an "all focus" or "EDOF (extended depth of field)" lense.
    07-11-11 05:33 PM
    In one of the videos a rim rep says that it has a "zero lag shutter" does the Playbook also have that?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-11 05:52 PM
    In one of the videos a rim rep says that it has a "zero lag shutter" does the Playbook also have that?
    Right, and I believe that. I think the camera on the 9900 and other BB7 handsets are closer to the Playbook if not the same camera. To my understanding, EDOF have quicker "shutter" speeds since they're constantly "focusing". They instantly snap the shot. This seems to be true from all the footage we've seen of the 99xxs.

They should produce better video like the Playbook does as well. My only concern is how low light and close up photos will look.
    07-11-11 06:08 PM
    Right, and I believe that. I think the camera on the 9900 and other BB7 handsets are closer to the Playbook if not the same camera. To my understanding, EDOF have quicker "shutter" speeds since they're constantly "focusing". They instantly snap the shot. This seems to be true from all the footage we've seen of the 99xxs.

They should produce better video like the Playbook does as well. My only concern is how low light and close up photos will look.

no it does not it lags a second or two
    07-11-11 07:48 PM

The close up photos on the 9800 already aren't as good as the Bold 9700, that has already disappointed me somehow, I used to love having the Bold 9700 to help me take close up photos for work so I could show the product detail to my customers right way without using a DC.

Now for the 9900 they are going to have all focus camera, which means it will take good videos but not better photos, no more clear close up shots.

I hope to get the 9900 on hand ASAP and prove wt I have said is wrong!
    08-09-11 09:12 PM
    Can someone who has the retail Rogers version please put all this speculation to rest once and for all so we don't keep having to ask and discuss in a hundred diff threads.....Does it have auto-focus or not?????
    08-09-11 09:48 PM
    This topic has been beat to death on more than one thread here and detailed on nearly every EDOF cameraphone review. The EDOF takes a slightly lower quality still shot of medium and long distance subjects and ABSOLUTELY FAILS for close-up's such as document capture, taking shots of software product keys, documentation of specific damage on parts or cars for RMA, etc.

We have witnessed several close up shots already of the flagship 9900 /.30. The new bold with EDOF simply no longer has the ability to take the standard type of shots most using their phone for business need to take.

On the upside the 9900 should take almost as good of pictures for distance and medium shots however & you will be able to take pictures faster - just forget using the camera on the phone if you need to take detailed shots close up.

You would have to pack a point and shoot around to do that.
    08-09-11 10:21 PM
    This topic has been beat to death on more than one thread here and detailed on nearly every EDOF cameraphone review. The EDOF takes a slightly lower quality still shot of medium and long distance subjects and ABSOLUTELY FAILS for close-up's such as document capture, taking shots of software product keys, documentation of specific damage on parts or cars for RMA, etc.

We have witnessed several close up shots already of the flagship 9900 /.30. The new bold with EDOF simply no longer has the ability to take the standard type of shots most using their phone for business need to take.

On the upside the 9900 should take almost as good of pictures for distance and medium shots however & you will be able to take pictures faster - just forget using the camera on the phone if you need to take detailed shots close up.

You would have to pack a point and shoot around to do that.
    Yes but until today we havent had access to any retail/non-engineering models to be certain id like to see some shots or hear from someone who actually possess the retail model before I accept it dosent have autofocus.
    08-09-11 10:26 PM
    Someone seemed to have revived my old thread again lol. I think everyone is aware of the issue by now.

08-09-11 10:27 PM
    Yes but until today we havent had access to any retail/non-engineering models to be certain id like to see some shots or hear from someone who actually possess the retail model before I accept it dosent have autofocus.
    If RIM was able to magic something past what Nokia was able to do it's possible but I doubt it very much. I've read reviews of the EDOF system that were pro-EDOF and even those guys were suggesting "work arounds" for the EDOF for close up detail shots. Stuff like holding a magnifying glass in one hand and the phone in the other and then taking a picture of the magnifying glass - "work arounds" like that. EDOF simply can't take close up detail shots.

I was fairly wired up over this but am now at peace with it - if you use the camera in your phone to take close up shots of things you would need to make sure you bring a magnifying glass with you or look into an iphone or Droid. RIM employed an odd concept with putting EDOF in it's flagship but it is what it is - the reality is if you want to take the clear good close up shots for work you will need to keep your 9700 and use that for taking pictures then simply connect that phone to your pc and drag the pics out of it and email them from your pc.
    Last edited by pythons; 08-09-11 at 10:51 PM.
    08-09-11 10:42 PM
    If RIM was able to magic something past what Nokia was able to do it's possible but I doubt it very much. I've read reviews of the EDOF system that were pro-EDOF and even those guys were suggesting "work arounds" for the EDOF for close up detail shots. Stuff like holding a magnifying glass in one hand and the phone in the other and then taking a picture of the magnifying glass - "work arounds" like that. EDOF simply can't take close up detail shots.

I was fairly wired up over this but am now at peace with it - if you use the camera in your phone to take close up shots of things you would need to make sure you bring a magnifying glass with you or look into an iphone or Droid. RIM employed an odd concept with putting EDOF in it's flagship but it is what it is - the reality is if you want to take the clear good close up shots for work you will need to keep your 9700 and use that for taking pictures then simply connect that phone to your pc and drag the pics out of it and email them from your pc.
    Seems like you're pretty certain no autofocus. Just cant believe it. Overlooking standard features end-users haver come to expect, another reason why rim is tanking, such obvious things you just cant overlook in todays competitive smartphone market.
    08-10-11 02:06 AM
    I was actually worrying about this too.. My bold 9650 takes PHENOMENAL pictures compared to my cousins torch and even my step dads playbook.. I love the camera on my Bold even though it takes a few seconds to take the picture with it.. Hope it is decent on the 9900 :/
    The Torch takes far superior pictures than the 9650...
    08-10-11 02:46 AM
    From the pictures Kevin posted, it does look like it is a step back.
    Also, everyone wants RIM to make competitive phones in the marketplace which means they need to thin. To be thin, you have to make sacrifices. The camera looks to be one of them.
    Since the software has bearing on the quality and they will be using this type of cameras in the future, hopefully RIM begins to adjust the software piece to increase the picture quality over time.
    08-11-11 08:19 PM

08-11-11 09:14 PM
    samsung galaxy S2 is pretty thin yet it packs 8MP AUTOFOCUS. So disappointed with you RIM!
    08-11-11 09:16 PM
    This is interesting, I have 9650 and the playbook, yeah the 9650 takes great pics I'll agree. But to say they come out better than the playbook is crazy. I am concerned about losing AF when upgrading but giving the pb is edof I don't think it will end up being that big of a deal..

08-11-11 10:57 PM
    This is interesting, I have 9650 and the playbook, yeah the 9650 takes great pics I'll agree. But to say they come out better than the playbook is crazy. I am concerned about losing AF when upgrading but giving the pb is edof I don't think it will end up being that big of a deal..

You obviously have not looked at the compared pictures between the PB, 97xx and 9650 then....
    ...For the kinds of shots most expected out of a buiness phone the PB & 97xx are not just bad.
    ...They are unusable.
    08-11-11 11:38 PM
    For anyone that does not require physical qwerty, I'd just get the new Torch 9810/9850/9860. Same specs basically and it DOES have an auto focus camera.

08-11-11 11:50 PM
    pythons is right, the close up 9900 pics are unusable. I'm so disappointed. This is a deal-breaker for me, so I guess I'll have to go Torch over Bold. Hopefully t-mobile will be getting it this time....

08-12-11 12:17 AM
    pythons is right, the close up 9900 pics are unusable. I'm so disappointed. This is a deal-breaker for me, so I guess I'll have to go Torch over Bold. Hopefully t-mobile will be getting it this time....

For *my* money RIM could have made the 9900/9930's the same thickness as the current bold 9780 and added the better cam if that's what it took. That's just me. The 9900 macro pics I have seen posted thus far are disappointing (to me). I do take some close shots of text for reference in my job.

But that keyboard is mighty nice. So I am on the fence as to whether I want physical qwerty more, or the better cam and larger screen for browsing. If the cam does "well enough" when I test it, then that's ok. Does not have to be perfect.

9930 or 9850 on VZW.. decisions decisions. Good times lol.
    08-12-11 02:34 AM
    After see the 9900 camera pics, arghh very disappointing..
    9700/9780 camera quality is better than 9900..>,<

Maybe the camera issue will be fix on software updates..
    Look this document its come from RIM..
    it has AF in camera section..
    08-12-11 03:17 AM
    After see the 9900 camera pics, arghh very disappointing..
    9700/9780 camera quality is better than 9900..>,<

Maybe the camera issue will be fix on software updates..
    Look this document its come from RIM..
    it has AF in camera section..

It does indeed mention autofocus however is this add really from RIM?
    ...Or is it an add about RIM from someone outside of the company?

RIM did put a cheap absolute junk camera in their "Flagship" however I can't believe they would stoop even lower then that by false advertising - I would bet that add didn't come from RIM.
    Last edited by pythons; 08-12-11 at 06:59 PM.
    08-12-11 09:48 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD