Hey guys,
    Im new here, but i've been religiously checking crackberry.com pretty much everyday for the whole summer in anticipation for the bold.
    I have a couple questions/concerns, seems like problems with the bold are quite rampant, especially the wifi/3g issue, memory leaks and battery issues.
    I was wondering whether i should take the plunge and buy the berry now, or wait for a price drop and newer/better firmware upgrades?
    i'm really on the fence.
    08-27-08 12:26 PM
    This is totally up to you. I wouldn't necessarily say the Bold is plagued with issues, or anything.. All new devices will have reported bugs and flaws - it's just the name of the game. Whether you buy one now is really up to you, no one can tell you otherwise. However, welcome to CB, dude.
    08-27-08 12:29 PM
    I think you should wait for the Bold if you have your heart set on it, but if not, then get a Curve or other model that's available now. I agree with Jenay that the Bold isn't necessarily wrought with horrors, but like any new model of anything, there are going to be kinks and bugs that need to be worked out.
    08-27-08 12:38 PM
    i dunno. all my friends that have the bold on rogers haven't had a single issue.
    08-27-08 12:53 PM
    The other thing you need to consider is that of course you are going to hear of issues with the Bold. You hear of issues and problems with ALL devices on these forums. Why? Because this forum is dedicated mainly to helping other Blackberry owners. This site wouldn't really have a point if all you ever heard was the positive aspects of everyones' devices.
    08-27-08 12:57 PM
    If hardware and software were bug free I'd never have learnt anything and not had half the enjoyment from working stuff out and fixing problems. It's a double edged sword.

No one ever said the cutting edge was cheap or easy. Also, if we were waiting for perfection none of us would be using a PC.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-27-08 02:17 PM
    If its the price you are concerned about then maybe you should wait until the price drops somewhat, but that could be a while. If it's software issues you are worried about there are always upgrades to fix those bugs. I'd say go for it and get it, but it's entirely up to you.
    08-27-08 02:24 PM
    I'm into electro-gadgets, but I try to stay away from ANY first run production items...simply because of the corporate rush (greed) to get the product on the market ASAP...which usually results in frustration for the consumer. BTW, did I mention I upgraded from a Pearl (after 3 months) to a Curve? LOL!!!
    08-27-08 02:40 PM
    You seem like you're somewhat in the same boat I am.

I love my iPhone 3G but I might like the Bold better as I miss my Curve terribly sometimes (PIN and BB messenger) and the stability.

I figure it this way - I'm going to buy the Bold retail when it's out on AT&T, and swap SIMs for a while, then decide a few months later which one I want to keep. Then sell the other if I don't use both anymore.

If you don't like it, I'm sure there is someone who'd be willing to take it off your hands for a pretty penny.
    08-27-08 03:30 PM
    ive had TYRA aka blackberr bold for 28 hours now and it was worth every single penny i spent on it there are only 3 minor glitches that ive noticed but i would still give this device a 15 out of 10. Trust me
    08-27-08 03:35 PM
    Also - and admittedly I hate reading posts like this when I have problems - but I've had absolutely no gripes with my Bold apart from the maps issue. I've read all the posts about memory etc and my only reaction has been to touch wood that my experience stays the same.
    08-27-08 05:01 PM
    Also - and admittedly I hate reading posts like this when I have problems - but I've had absolutely no gripes with my Bold apart from the maps issue. I've read all the posts about memory etc and my only reaction has been to touch wood that my experience stays the same.

"Touch wood"? LOL. That must have lost something in translation...
    08-27-08 06:09 PM
    I took a leap for the pearl and now I love it, if it wa me I'd do it
    08-27-08 09:26 PM
    "Touch wood"? LOL. That must have lost something in translation...
    Ha! Nothing to do with a gentleman getting 'excited' or anything, trust me (no matter how enticing the Bold is to technophiles!!).

Interjection

touch wood

1. (idiomatic, UK) hopefully (said while touching something wooden, for superstition)

And the reds are going to avoid relegation this year, touch wood

Usage notes

As this expression has superstitious or pre-Christian origins it is usual physically to touch something wooden whilst exclaiming "touch wood", or shortly afterwards, in order to benefit from the resulting good luck. If the the object touched transpires actually to be laminate or some other such non-wooden material then this may result in a scramble to find some real wood, which may be perceived as ominous.

See also

* knock on wood (US)
    08-28-08 03:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD