The 9700 has four chrome-like "bars" on the keyboard (one above each row of keys). Two of my four are broken -- they have snapped in different places. It's really annoying because my thumbs get caught on them now when I'm typing. Anybody else run into this problem? Have you tried to get them fixed/replaced?
    05-30-10 01:08 PM
    there are many posts regarding this. two options.

1.) rip them all the way out

2.) buy a replacement keypad on cnn.cn and replace it yourself.
    05-30-10 03:19 PM

This was taken right now with my gf's BB 9700 which has the same problem as mine. Bought them in December of last year!

I recommend checking out the local malls, a place in my city does replacement parts or full housings.

It costs $12 for part and installation at the place in my city.

Full housing can cost $40 for a nice black original full housing.

So there you go, dont feel alone!
    Last edited by shacknews; 06-01-10 at 11:51 PM.
    05-30-10 08:54 PM
    Dumb question, but are you still under warranty? I took one back to ATT for this and had no problems. I can't see your carrier because I'm on my phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-30-10 11:19 PM
    I'm having the same problem. Any suggestions as to how to get it replaced under warranty with ATT? Purchased my 9700 in December & all of the strips are broken & one broke in two different places and fell off.! Will ATT replace under warranty with no hassles? Thanx!

05-31-10 01:00 AM
    I'm having the same problem. Any suggestions as to how to get it replaced under warranty with ATT? Purchased my 9700 in December & all of the strips are broken & one broke in two different places and fell off.! Will ATT replace under warranty with no hassles? Thanx!

bring it into the ATT store. I did with mine when I had the restart white screen loop going. They then sent me to an ATT service center who exchanged my phone with no problems.
    05-31-10 01:14 AM
    why exchange a phone over cosmetic issues folks???? it looks better without the frets!!!! rip them out!! or for $15 and saving you the return hassle for a REFURBISHED phone. replace the keypad, put the warranty sticker back....you're done. or trade ur NEW phone in for a refurb with a fixed keypad. please. follow my instructions or be happy with your refurb
    05-31-10 01:47 AM
    Mine is doing the same thing but I learned to ignore it.

05-31-10 06:48 AM
    Mine broke 2 weeks after I got it.
    05-31-10 10:16 AM
    I'm not trying to be funny but you guys must text a lot. How do they break? Is this a a quality issue? I've had mine since 01/04/2010 and they're still fine. I wouldn't even bother sending the phone back or taking it to a retail store for that. I would just get a OEM keyboard at CNN for $15.99+shipping but then again this is just me.
    05-31-10 10:47 AM
    I'm not trying to be funny but you guys must text a lot. How do they break? Is this a a quality issue? I've had mine since 01/04/2010 and they're still fine. I wouldn't even bother sending the phone back or taking it to a retail store for that. I would just get a OEM keyboard at CNN for $15.99+shipping but then again this is just me.
    I text about 300-400 messages a day. But it cant be just because of that.
    05-31-10 05:27 PM
    I text about 300-400 messages a day. But it cant be just because of that.
    300-400 a day?? Damn, u should be glad the keypad hasn't fallen off lol.
    06-01-10 12:51 PM
    Yea I don't even count how much I text but my last bill said I did 8000 lol

06-01-10 12:57 PM
    Youre not cool unless you text at least 250 times a day.
    06-01-10 02:02 PM
    Just thought I'd add my two cents....

Some people don't like those bezels, but I do. My phone looked cheap with only part of the bezel on and part broken off. I called T-mobile and they told me to take it to the store as they couldn't see the phone to tell if it was physical damage. I had never dropped my phone. They looked at it and decided it had to be the faulty bezel and called support. Turns out, this is a known defect in some 9700s. They ran my IMEI and told me that my IMEI was the very first one on the list of the known defected devices. They shipped me a replacement phone right away.

So, I'd suggest getting it covered under warranty. T-mobile told me that if it was physical damage, then the warranty would be voided. I'd be pissed if a hardware failure wasn't covered under warranty because I didn't get that fixed.
    06-01-10 05:05 PM

300-400 a day?? Damn, u should be glad the keypad hasn't fallen off lol.
    Well I did fix it now, got a new housing on it. Until next time it all starts breaking off all over the place
    06-01-10 11:56 PM
    Mine has one chip in one of the rows. That's all I've noticed so far, though. If it starts doing this regularly with all of the bars, I'll be pissed.
    06-02-10 12:13 AM
    I have removed all the frets except for the top one under the trackpad.

If you do this, you will see three holes in the centre of each row whne the keyboard lights up. I didn't like that.

So I grabbed my old broken frets, used a nail file to remove the 'chrome' from the centre area, cut the centres down to about 4 mm wide with the post in the middle (the post that originally held it in the hole), and plugged the holes using tweezers. Happy now. Don't notice the black/filed fret pieces at all. Took about 10 minutes - a bit of hit and miss with the tweezers, and best to do it on a white table cloth to help you find the little critters when you drop them
    06-02-10 12:23 AM
    Has anyone with TELUS had this problem, and had any success getting the phone replaced?
    06-14-10 03:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD