i have a chip in the black finish on my #2 key. now its only white. i dont understand why or how the black finish weared away. i didnt drop the phone or anything like that. does anyone else have this issue with keys wearing away at the finish?

did you return your phone for a certified like new phone, or just live with the chip? its annoying that this happened.
    02-09-11 11:10 AM
    Yes...it is annoying, but not uncommon. Usually, the "chipping" starts with the raised "dot" on the D key...it turns to white. Other keys will chip as well.

My defense for this is my Otterbox Defender. It has a clear plastic membrane that covers the keypad and protects the finish on the keys.

You can get your device replaced with a CLN if it becomes too annoying.
    02-09-11 11:21 AM
    what is cln?
    02-09-11 11:22 AM
    what is cln?
    Certified Like New. My current device is a CLN and works perfectly.
    02-09-11 11:25 AM
    Yes...it is annoying, but not uncommon. Usually, the "chipping" starts with the raised "dot" on the D key...it turns to white. Other keys will chip as well.

My defense for this is my Otterbox Defender. It has a clear plastic membrane that covers the keypad and protects the finish on the keys.

You can get your device replaced with a CLN if it becomes too annoying.
    I don't think this is true in all cases. I had two keys obliterated and 11 others chipped after 5 months and VZW told me it was cosmetic and they would not replace it as they had never heard the complaint before.

I had to find another error in the phone before they would replace with refurb.
    02-09-11 02:18 PM
    Ah the wonderous Search function

http://forums.crackberry.com/f172/pa...lready-486704/

Mine stated on the D/5 key too, and they replace them on a case-by-case basis. Some have gotten FRUs other have been told to live with it.
    02-09-11 03:18 PM
    I don't think this is true in all cases. I had two keys obliterated and 11 others chipped after 5 months and VZW told me it was cosmetic and they would not replace it as they had never heard the complaint before.

I had to find another error in the phone before they would replace with refurb.
    It depends on WHAT you say is wrong with your device. The bottom line is the keyboard should NOT be chipping so soon. If VZW won't replace the device for a defectively made keyboard, there are other circumstances that WILL get a replacement sent out.
    02-09-11 04:01 PM
    I have one chip on the E key. Happened when my phone took a tumble off the roof of my car at 65mph. I can live with it. My phone earned the scars!
    02-10-11 12:44 PM
    This is a common problem that's been around forever. You can try to get it replaced, but they might say it's cosmetic.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-10-11 11:52 PM
    This has annoyed me to no end, for me, the E is half gone, the S,W,R are in bad shape, the D, I, O are a bit chipped off, and the space bar is such that I can see the sp and a little bit of the e. I'd like to be able to give the phone to my daughter when I'm done with it, but like me, she MUCH MUCH prefers the Curve keyboard than this one with the ridges. Having the paint chip off was just pouring salt in my wound of them switching the higher end phones to the worse keyboard. I haven't tried getting a replacement, although it's ridiculous that 7 months of usage and I have 8 keys in bad shape.
    02-11-11 04:48 PM
    This is the most obnoxious thing for me. I rarely drop my phone/damage it and my W,E,R,T,Y,U,I,O,P,A,S,D,F,G,H,J,K,L,X,V,B,M and alt key are all chipping/chipped. I've had my phone for almost a year and a half and its already becoming a challenge to type on my phone due to the fact that the numbers,symbols and letters are starting to chip.
    08-31-11 11:44 PM
    My phone has had this since I got it (I traded for mine). While it's mildly annoying, it hasn't bothered me to the point of trying to get anything done about it. I'm just curious as to what's different between the 9650 keyboard setup and the 9700 since this never happened with my 9700.
    09-01-11 05:38 AM
    Yup my #2 is half gone (think about it hough E is like the most common letter in the english language.)

my w, s,d,i, and o are chipping. I know sprint will change it for me. they've cahnge other phones in the past. Its just i've been procastinating on getting there. lol...

My E has been chipping for a while too. i dont think i had the phone more than 5 months before that started happening.

What can i say i'm always on my BB battle scars
    09-01-11 09:31 PM
    Silvia here on the forums got hers replaced due to the keyboard chipping through vz insurance.
    My sprint bold was doing the same thing. I made up a laundry list of issues and instead of them trying to fix it they just ordered me a replacement.

With the replacement I must say I'm impressed. The keys seem much tighter and the device in a whole feels more solid. I have had the replacement for about 5 or so months and the keys haven't chipped one bit. Like they changed keyboard making paint to take a beating now. Device looks brand new except for 1 blemish when I dropped it due to celebrating the bruins winning the Stanley cup. Lol

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Last edited by eve6er69; 09-02-11 at 10:30 PM.
    09-02-11 10:27 PM
    My keys were all chipping but VZW wouldn't replace it for a cosmetic issue. Unfortunately Tor fortunately for me as it turned out) I had another issue that required a refurb. The subsequent model has no chipping or peeling after the same amount of time and the same pounding from the same owner....ME! Must be the first batchs were lousy with the paint. After that, this one has held up really well.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    09-03-11 06:42 AM
    My 1/W, 2/E and 5/D were all chipping. The phone worked fine until it lost a fight with some juice. My replacement phone has held up well and hasn't shown any signs of chipping.
    09-03-11 08:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD