Hey guys,

I know this question probably has been asked a billion times, but I've tried researching over the net and there's no "proper tutorials" for changing the backlight for the 9700.

Anyway, what I mean is the LED light for the keypad. Like when it lights up it's white. I want to change it to blue. How would I do that?

I've read you had to colour the tape, and put it over the white cellophant. I've tried that, but it didn't light fully blue. Any other ideas?

I've also came across "myblackmod", and they said you have to change the LED's and if you do it wrong, it can short-circuit your phone [here's a pic]. If there are any other ways, let me know! Here's what I'm aiming for:

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/v...61600x1200.jpg

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/v...71600x1200.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to help!
    07-01-10 05:48 PM
    Do you have a picture with the LED off, and is there any numbers on the LED. I am wondering what the voltage of the LED's are so that i can cross reference the white to the blue. It looks awesome.
    Last edited by Flaps74; 07-01-10 at 06:10 PM.
    07-01-10 06:03 PM
    Unfortunately, no. I'm too lazy to open up my phone right now :P

Plus, I'm a bit worried, I might damage my bottom piece more [it's already broken LOL]. Getting my new housing in a week or so.
    07-01-10 07:30 PM
    There were a number of people here that had success with just putting a thin piece of colored cellophane under the keyboard, it looked really good.
    07-01-10 08:34 PM
    on my old 8310 I used a blue permanent marker and colored them. It looked really good. I'm not tech savvy enough to tinker with changing the LED's lol
    07-02-10 04:51 AM
    on my old 8310 I used a blue permanent marker and colored them. It looked really good. I'm not tech savvy enough to tinker with changing the LED's lol
    That sounds like it would work. I guess you would have to find a blue marker that is not too dark and dries very translucent. You could put multiple coats on to build up the "darkness" of the blue.

If you go with the plastic i would suggest using a lighting gel. They are very cheap and you have a very wide range of colours. You can get them from almost anywhere...

Rosco US : Filters : Roscolux

Vancouver Office
    #107 - 3855 Henning Drive
    Burnaby, BC
    V5C 6N3
    07-02-10 08:30 AM
    wow. . . this really takes me back. .. .. .. . myself and a handfull of others practicly INVENTED this **** back in the day with NEXTELS. .. ... simple. nuff said.
    07-02-10 11:55 PM
    Hm, I think that would work.

The only thing I'm worried about is that I might mess up w/e is under there, might not dry properly, or if I ever decide to change the LED...
    07-03-10 12:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD