I have a new 9780, and the first thing I'd like to do (because I assume it will mean reloading the OS afterwards) is to change the hideoussplash screen. I know this is possible, but thought I'd ask here for guidance on the best way rather than half-following tutorials for the 9700 or something similar. I use a Mac, but if it's absolutely absolutely necessary will go and beg a Windows computer off someone for the day...

Please?

(Or to help me with searching, what's the correct name for this screen? I call it a splash screen, but I have no idea if that's the best thing to search for it under.)
    07-01-11 09:57 AM
    No, you cannot debrand your device.
    07-01-11 09:58 AM
    It only appears once when you restart your device and never shows up. Why does it bother you?

I heard that it will take you so much hassle to debrand it and you will require professional tools to do that. Not worth a second to waste your time on
    07-01-11 10:16 AM
    It only appears once when you restart your device and never shows up. Why does it bother you?

I heard that it will take you so much hassle to debrand it and you will require professional tools to do that. Not worth a second to waste your time on
    No, actually there are advantages, but the chance of ending up with a display unit instead of a smartphone is way too high to take.

And some people (me included) happen to pull the battery a lot more than others (reasons may vary).
    07-01-11 10:34 AM
    Well, with my 9700 and its text threading problem, I was doing battery pulls several times a conversation...

It's so, so ugly, that's all. How can it really be so dangerous, surely if it works on one 9780 it should work on all?
    07-01-11 12:49 PM
    Well, with my 9700 and its text threading problem, I was doing battery pulls several times a conversation...

It's so, so ugly, that's all. How can it really be so dangerous, surely if it works on one 9780 it should work on all?
    What??

What does text threading have to do with unbranding the device? OS6 already has threaded messages, so your 1st line makes even less sense.

On the dangers. It should work on every device if done right. Not everybody has enough technical knowledge to do it right and those who do are not really willing to take the blame when things go wrong so they don't teach how it is done. Yes, should work on any device if you know how to make it work.

I've seen Orange's splashscreen. I know your pain. Just avoid battery pulls unless they are necessary.
    07-01-11 01:19 PM
    Wouldn't this be unlocking the phone?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-11 02:16 PM
    Wouldn't this be unlocking the phone?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    No. They are completely different things. The illegal software will not work on any device newer than the 9000 anyway.

You cannot debrand the 9780.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f157/un...anding-181612/
    07-01-11 02:35 PM
    This thread's a fail, clearly the OP has no idea what they're talking about.
    07-01-11 02:39 PM
    This thread's a fail, clearly the OP has no idea what they're talking about.
    If the OP learns something from this thread, then it is hardly a fail.
    07-01-11 04:34 PM
    If the OP learns something from this thread, then it is hardly a fail.
    I agree!

diegonei, what I was saying about threading was simply that it was buggy in OS 5, and caused me to do battery pulls lots so I could read new texts.
    07-02-11 07:32 AM
    As you have learned, you cannot debrand your phone. You are stuck with the nasty splash screen logo.

However you said something earlier that worried me. You say that you are doing battery pulls very often whilst in SMS text message conversations. This is absolutely not normal. Some is wrong here.

What I would like you to do is to reboot your phone either by removing the battery or by typing <Alt><LeftShift><H>

As the phone wakes up ple hold down the Escape Key (To the left of the red Hangup Key) while the phone boots. This will boot your phone into Safe Mode and will disable all add ons and 3rd party software. You will then have a phone that works just as ist maker intened.

Please try the phone like this to see if you still have trouble. If you do, please come back here and report what happened.
    07-02-11 08:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD