Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you all know I just picked up a new blackberry bold 9790 as my second phone. Currently I am carrying a q10 around and an Iphone. The 9790 will replace my iPhone, as I realize I cant stand the phone to text or make calls on (may sound weird). If there is any advise tips or recommendations with the 9790 please let me know. I have been view this board since I ordered it and cant wait to have my hands on it.

Team Blackberry
    10-22-13 12:01 AM
    Welcome to CB!!!

I always wanted a 9790. It never came to AT&T.

Enjoy it!!!
    10-22-13 04:01 AM
    9790 is fabulous little phone, excellent choice as iPhone replacement

I recommend getting the official purple/leather pouch and of course setting up BlackBerry Protect. Also make sure you put the latest version of OS7.1 on it!
    10-22-13 06:17 AM
    Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you all know I just picked up a new blackberry bold 9790 as my second phone. Currently I am carrying a q10 around and an Iphone. The 9790 will replace my iPhone, as I realize I cant stand the phone to text or make calls on (may sound weird). If there is any advise tips or recommendations with the 9790 please let me know. I have been view this board since I ordered it and cant wait to have my hands on it.
    Welcome.
    If you don't mind carrying around 2 phones, I would rather choose a combination of a qwerty phone (such as an Q10 or a 9790) and a full touch screen one (such as an iPhone or Z10 etc).
    The 9790 is an excellent classic BB, and very pocketable. In fact, I switched back from a tad more capable 9900 to the 9790 lately.
    However, you have to recognize that while the 9790 is truly excellent for communication (email, text and phone) and PIM function, everything else, such as browsing and the contents consumption is rather pathetic.
    As long as you accept some shortcomings, and if your daily use mostly consists of the communication/PIM, the 9790 is an excellent pocketable device, but you do need to supplement its disadvantages with a device with a larger screen one.
    I have both a 9790 (my daily driver) and an iPhone 5, but most of the time, I only carry the 9790 almost as an email reader, checking calendar and manage ToDo tasks etc, and if I need any more capability, I usually skip the iPhone and go right up to my iPad or a laptop.
    But that's just my opinion based on my pattern of use of these devices.
    10-22-13 06:40 AM
    Welcome.
    If you don't mind carrying around 2 phones, I would rather choose a combination of a qwerty phone (such as an Q10 or a 9790) and a full touch screen one (such as an iPhone or Z10 etc).
    The 9790 is an excellent classic BB, and very pocketable. In fact, I switched back from a tad more capable 9900 to the 9790 lately.
    However, you have to recognize that while the 9790 is truly excellent for communication (email, text and phone) and PIM function, everything else, such as browsing and the contents consumption is rather pathetic.
    As long as you accept some shortcomings, and if your daily use mostly consists of the communication/PIM, the 9790 is an excellent pocketable device, but you do need to supplement its disadvantages with a device with a larger screen one.
    I have both a 9790 (my daily driver) and an iPhone 5, but most of the time, I only carry the 9790 almost as an email reader, checking calendar and manage ToDo tasks etc, and if I need any more capability, I usually skip the iPhone and go right up to my iPad or a laptop.
    But that's just my opinion based on my pattern of use of these devices.

It's also a great MP3 player, great for watching YouTube videos via the excellent mobile version, can edit simple Word docs and the touch screen is good for games like Revenge of the Pigs, Solitaire, Minesweeper etc. It's also decent for browsing the internet and linking with a PlayBook.
    10-22-13 11:06 AM
    You make some great points. I just realized I am a keyboard person. I was given the iphone for work so I can browse the internet and view social media. I feel as though the q10 can do that and if i need more space I will simply bring out the macbook. As you pointed out I will be using the 9790 for communication (text, emails, and phone calls).
    10-22-13 12:12 PM
    Well glad you said that, I will be picking up the pouch but since I live in the states and use att, do i just have to download leaked versions of the software? Mainly the phone will be used for emails, calls, bbm, and texting. Would it be fine to just leave the phone as is?
    10-22-13 12:14 PM
    Well glad you said that, I will be picking up the pouch but since I live in the states and use att, do i just have to download leaked versions of the software? Mainly the phone will be used for emails, calls, bbm, and texting. Would it be fine to just leave the phone as is?
    You can simply upgrade to the latest version support by att, if necessary, and that will probably suffice
    10-22-13 12:21 PM
    It's also decent for browsing the internet and linking with a PlayBook.
    True.
    I said the browsing is rather pathetic, but it might be an exaggeration (I was comparing it with iPhone, Z10 & Q10 etc). I should have said that it's more than adequate for the "light (& casual) browsing".
    I am also noticing that the radio and wifi reception seems to be better than that of the 9900.
    10-22-13 01:46 PM
    I got the 9790 and wow I love this thing. Its a little smaller and slimmer than I thought but exactly what I need! BYE BYE IPHONE #TEAMBLACKBERRY
    10-25-13 02:02 PM
    I got the 9790 and wow I love this thing. Its a little smaller and slimmer than I thought but exactly what I need! BYE BYE IPHONE #TEAMBLACKBERRY
    Wear an Otterbox Commuter and it will feel right in your palm, almost like a 9780, my most favourite BB in the past. Otherwise, it feels a bit too thin for my taste. YMMV.
    abnous likes this.
    10-25-13 08:51 PM
    I bought a BB9790 from Wind Mobile in Canada. It has the same frequencies as TMO in the USA. It has UMA capabilities and not just wifi calling. I put it on my TMO plan then had to go thru the engineering screens to enable UMA calling. This was a while back and Idon't remember the exact steps I had to take. It is posted somewhere in CB forums. So if you have TMO, then you can also have UMA on the BB9790.
    10-28-13 06:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD