I am using a verizon bold 9650. Every time I plug in my (rocketfish) car charger, the signal drops to nothing. It bounces around from 3G to 1xEV to SOS. Can't make phone calls or get data services. As soon as I unplug the charger, everything goes back to normal. Any ideas?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-13-11 12:52 PM
    Idea, try an authentic RIM car charger.
    03-13-11 01:19 PM
    I had this exact same problem using an "authentic" RIM charger bought from the VZW store. I actually went back to the store for help, and we tried a couple other chargers, all with the same result.

Prior to this, I had charged all my other BB's in the car without issue.

If I remember right, in my case it was an os update that resolved the issue.

03-14-11 10:56 AM
    I am on VZW OS 6 with out any charging/signal issues.
    03-14-11 11:02 AM
    Thanks. I am running official OS6 from verizon. I think problem started then. I haven't had any other major problems with OS. I was wondering if maybe a driver didn't get installed or something. This is my first smartphone/blackberry and I hate to have to re install OS. I had some trouble getting all of my (paid) apps back when I upgraded from OS5.

QUOTE=stubbornswiss;6131536]I had this exact same problem using an "authentic" RIM charger bought from the VZW store. I actually went back to the store for help, and we tried a couple other chargers, all with the same result.

Prior to this, I had charged all my other BB's in the car without issue.

If I remember right, in my case it was an os update that resolved the issue.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com[/QUOTE]

t

03-14-11 11:24 AM
    I use a VZW car charger and never had an issue with it being the cause of a bad signal. I've had 4 different OS5s and now OS6.
    03-14-11 03:52 PM
    Could this be one of the following reasons?

1. Too much power injected into the device. I know this sounds hokey, but car chargers are meant to do fast-charge, not trickle. This can play games with the way that the device manages signal (EVEN THOUGH you cannot operate current-gen BlackBerries without a battery - so it's really/technically a "DC-only" device)

2. Could it be improperly using the charger as an antenna?

3. Is the device slipping into Bedside mode? Mine has been hokey in the recent releases of BBOS 5 and OS 6.
    mikethepo likes this.
    03-15-11 11:57 AM
    I actually thought about it possibly "overcharging" the device. My reasoning: When I first plug in the charger, the signal strength jumps way up, then back to nothing. It does this a few times (almost like pulsating with the current), then signal drops completely until the charger is unplugged. Question: Is this a phone problem or a charger problem? And, if a phone problem, is there any fix?
    03-15-11 02:05 PM
    I have a bold, and this is my second replacement. When I place it on the Verizon Car Charger, in low signal areas, the phone goes roaming, and searching for CDMA, this is the second bold this has happened on.. Any News??!!
    04-19-11 12:11 PM
    I have the same issue when tethering in a low signal area. the signal drops to zero when connected. once disconnected, the signal jumps to a higher level. This began when I upgraded to OS 6. Think I will drop back to 5.
    07-26-11 07:28 PM
    I thought that I was just imagining this happening until seeing this post. I was looking for a reason as to why my battery is burning hot the last two days and draining the battery in a few hours. Either way, I now realize that my signal is really dropping when plugged in.
    08-11-11 11:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD