You mean, is RIM going to swap out a camera because some people think the picture quality should be better? RIM is probably working at light speed to produce the handsets and has hundreds of thousands of camera modules in stock. I wouldn't hold your breath on that one. Besides, you know thw early adopters are always the guinea pigs.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-11 01:29 PM
    You mean, is RIM going to swap out a camera because some people think the picture quality should be better?
    Better is not the issue at all. The business related pictures the 99xx camera take are "unusable". Let's first get to pictures that are usable and then we can worry about grades of quality.

RIM is probably working at light speed to produce the handsets and has hundreds of thousands of camera modules in stock. I wouldn't hold your breath on that one. Besides, you know thw early adopters are always the guinea pigs.

I was thinking of some sort of "software fix" that would come by way of an update - something in the code if that's how these EDOF cameras work. I don't know how or if software could bring the camera up to the point it's business related pictures could be usable or not - I've just heard others mention it and was trying to be positive.
    08-12-11 02:11 PM
    You may be able to improve white balance but from what I saw, noir, out of focus, distortion, blocky, the camera will need to be replaced to get a significant improvement with that text.

08-12-11 02:48 PM
    Geez.... what's the problem here? You use a phone to primarily take pictures or make/receive telephone calls??? If you're into photography, there are great pocket-sized digital cameras on the market these days that have DSLR features (aperture settings, exposure control, etc). A phone isn't meant to replace those.

How come people that buy digital cameras don't complain that the camera's phone signal is weak, or that they can't play games or use flash??

I, for one, much prefer having a phone with strong signal, good battery life and above average call quality than worrying about autofocus on a phone with a camera.

Good grief.
    Except it claims to be a smartphone and sports a pricetag that's infinitely higher than a phone that just makes calls. How can you fault people for holding it to a higher standard?

Telling people they should just carry a digital camera is like saying they should also carry an mp3 player, calculator, dictionary, gaming device, newspaper, personal library and portable tv with them everywhere they go.

bhavi_jp likes this.
    08-12-11 03:23 PM
    You may be able to improve white balance but from what I saw, noir, out of focus, distortion, blocky, the camera will need to be replaced to get a significant improvement with that text.

You can't believe how depressing what you just said is to me. I'll admit up front I know nothing of how a camera works I can only say what a usable or unusable photograph is. All the pictures I've looked at so far of the sort I would take to do my job are unusable.

I would like nothing more than to remain on a BB and would love to have the new 9930 but not at the cost of being able to do less with my phone then I currently can on my two year old Blackberry.

There must be something RIM can do to at least make the pictures their flagship business smartphone take be usable business type pictures.
    08-12-11 04:05 PM
    Someone said there was an official statement from RIM about the camera and the lack of App memory. I can't find it anywhere though.

It's probably just spin, but you never know...
    08-12-11 04:59 PM
    Something happened today that made me realize the camera on the BlackBerry is important for business use. I had a plumber at my house doing some work when he stopped to take a phone call on his Torch. I heard him say "send me a picture off it." A few seconds later he received the picture and was able to tell who ever was on the other end of the phone what to do. Since I'm a BlackBerry fan and thought it was cool to see how he used it I asked him if he liked his Torch. He said his boss provides BBs to all of the plumbers and they use BBM to communicate and send photos. I have to believe my local plumbing company isn't the only business that uses the camera on their BBs.

It is very easy for RIM loyalists to make comments like "if someone wants a camera buy a camera" but I wonder if the camera doesn't take decent quality pictures if companies that need to use photos as part of their day to day business will look elsewhere.
    pythons likes this.
    08-12-11 05:17 PM
    Something happened today that made me realize the camera on the BlackBerry is important for business use. I had a plumber at my house doing some work when he stopped to take a phone call on his Torch. I heard him say "send me a picture off it." A few seconds later he received the picture and was able to tell who ever was on the other end of the phone what to do. Since I'm a BlackBerry fan and thought it was cool to see how he used it I asked him if he liked his Torch. He said his boss provides BBs to all of the plumbers and they use BBM to communicate and send photos. I have to believe my local plumbing company isn't the only business that uses the camera on their BBs.

It is very easy for RIM loyalists to make comments like "if someone wants a camera buy a camera" but I wonder if the camera doesn't take decent quality pictures if companies that need to use photos as part of their day to day business will look elsewhere.
    The application you witnessed via your Plumber could be duplicated in as many ways as there are people and businesses...
    ...Having a camera that takes USABLE pictures on a smartphone isn't an option, it's a base level requirement.

Amen for your post Coachbulldog!
    08-12-11 06:11 PM
    Our computer systems (PC's etc - many thousands of them) are serviced, repaired and replaced by Dell. All their techs (they come to us - part of the contract) carry Blackberry's. They quite often take pictures with their phones to send away. They probably can't use 9900's as they are now. Never thought of that.
    08-12-11 08:20 PM
    Our computer systems (PC's etc - many thousands of them) are serviced, repaired and replaced by Dell. All their techs (they come to us - part of the contract) carry Blackberry's. They quite often take pictures with their phones to send away. They probably can't use 9900's as they are now. Never thought of that.
    Yep, the applications are as numerous as the sands of the sea. Now that I think of it the large copy / scanner / fax machines at the company I work for are serviced by RIOCH and I've seen those guys snap pics with their iphones of various parts of the machines.

I'm certain if RIM realizes how big of a problem this camera issue is they will put a team on it and come up with some sort of solution.
    08-12-11 09:40 PM
    We don't need this thread forgot about. With the reviews coming in the next 3 weeks can you imagine how many times this thread will show up on a google search for people who research the camera.
    08-13-11 10:42 PM
    No kidding, I use the camera on my work phone "9780" all the time for taking pics of electrical rooms and wiring setup to send back to the engineering team via BBM and email. The shots on my 9900 are brutal. Even stepping back...it's not detailed anymore no matter what I do. The rest of the phone is killer great though. Pretty disappointing And what about bar code scanning now? I can't see that working at all??
    08-13-11 10:52 PM
    No kidding, I use the camera on my work phone "9780" all the time for taking pics of electrical rooms and wiring setup to send back to the engineering team via BBM and email. The shots on my 9900 are brutal. Even stepping back...it's not detailed anymore no matter what I do. The rest of the phone is killer great though. Pretty disappointing And what about bar code scanning now? I can't see that working at all??
    Have you tried to use the PDF scanner app on blackberry world?
    ..That app run through a 9650 / 9700 or 9780 can turn an 8.5 x 11'' document into an excellent functional PDF.

I wonder if the app would even install on the 9900???

I know an insurance company would not accept a close up shot of damage on a car with the 9900 from all the examples I've seen already.
    Last edited by pythons; 08-13-11 at 11:19 PM.
    08-13-11 11:06 PM
    @pythons, I just loaded it up and works great! However it does not change the quality of the camera. I tried taking a pic of a business card, the PDF app was seemless and created the pdf and I can view it but as I said, it does not increase the clarity at all. I can bearly read the business card.
    08-13-11 11:47 PM
    @pythons, I just loaded it up and works great! However it does not change the quality of the camera. I tried taking a pic of a business card, the PDF app was seemless and created the pdf and I can view it but as I said, it does not increase the clarity at all. I can bearly read the business card.
    Thanks for confirming this and ending our doubts....what a shame it couldn't enhance the focus like it does on the other phones (
    08-13-11 11:51 PM
    OMG!!!! Well, I guess we can scratch that "business APP" off the list for the New BB Flagship! Lord have Mercy.

I'm going to say what Tech fanboy said and say thanks for taking the time to try it out for us.....
    ....Imagine that, a business smartphone that can't even use a standard business app created for IT! I think I'm gonna puke.
    ....And a smart phone that's being sold for more than a Droid Photon or Iphone 4.
    08-14-11 12:11 AM
    you know what would be interesting? for someone to INTERVIEW the CEO's of RIM and question them on why... why remove autofocus on a flagship device? why remove UMA? why lower the mah of the battery? why remove all these great features that add (notice how I did not say "make") to BBs' user experience and add something no one will probably use until late 2012/13 (NFC). to make the device thin should really not be an excuse.
    08-14-11 12:35 AM
    you know what would be interesting? for someone to INTERVIEW the CEO's of RIM and question them on why... why remove autofocus on a flagship device? why remove UMA? why lower the mah of the battery? why remove all these great features that add (notice how I did not say "make") to BBs' user experience and add something no one will probably use until late 2012/13 (NFC). to make the device thin should really not be an excuse.
    I don't know if they are the friendly types or not. Often times when you are dealing with big business the people at the top would not even talk to pond scum such as us. I mean if they asked us what we wanted we would have simply said "go to great things JUST make sure we don't go backwards".
    08-14-11 01:14 AM
    so..what solution could be implemented to fix the AF issue?

it obviously could affect certain people/businesses...(not me as i dont use cameras that much and if i do it will not be so critical really)...

does the the new torch have AF? how about the full touch screen one?
    08-14-11 03:07 AM
    so..what solution could be implemented to fix the AF issue?

it obviously could affect certain people/businesses...(not me as i dont use cameras that much and if i do it will not be so critical really)...

does the the new torch have AF? how about the full touch screen one?
    I noticed in a video, and I posted a link earlier in this thread, when the camera is used for HD video recording you can get very close to a subject, in that case a small yellow flower, and it appears to be quite clear, maybe an app can be created to take a 0.5 second video and then it could present you with a 2-3 extracted frames to save.

Just an idea.

08-14-11 03:40 AM
    not having AF, is a good thing.
    08-14-11 03:54 AM
    not having AF, is a good thing.
    I missed so many good photo opportunities because of the AF camera, too slow or if you move slightly when it focuses the shot is ruined.

Ever tried telling kids to sit still?

08-14-11 04:07 AM
    Hi guys,
    I need to ask a thing! can you try to acquire some bar code with right application and verify the correct decoding? I'm really worried that some application (QR Code Reader, Bar Code Reader....etc) working bad with EDoF system.
    BB
    08-14-11 04:12 AM
    Hi guys,
    I need to ask a thing! can you try to acquire some bar code with right application and verify the correct decoding? I'm really worried that some application (QR Code Reader, Bar Code Reader....etc) working bad with EDoF system.
    BB
    The thing is NFC will be replacing QR barcodes
    08-14-11 04:39 AM
    In Italy?
    Maybe in a million years!
    08-14-11 04:46 AM
410 ... 1314151617
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD