Well my point is that the 9810 has autofocus but the 99xx/9850/9860 do not. I don't know if anyone was arguing against the 9810 having it.
    My bad I was just messing around. But, you do bring up a good point as I'm not sure many would've caught that. Then again I don't see why they would've changed that since the device is the same as the last one with some upgraded internals.
    08-05-11 03:44 PM
    The 9850/60 apparently does have auto focus like the 9810...
    BlackBerry - BlackBerry Torch 9850 & Torch 9860 - BlackBerry 9850 - BlackBerry 9860 - US

Capture life like a pro

5MP camera
    720p HD video recording
    Flash
    Continuous auto focus
    Face detection
    Image Stabilization
    Geo-tagging
    4X digital zoom (still images only)
    Zero shutter lag
    I saw that too but still haven't seen any evidence of it using it in videos etc. The rear doesn't say AUTO FOCUS like the 9810, then again it doesn't have to. I'm a little unsure with it since the Storm 9550 --> Torch 9850 took a bit of a trimming in weight which would support it has an ALL FOCUS now.

You could be right though. I gotta dig further

My bad I was just messing around. But, you do bring up a good point as I'm not sure many would've caught that. Then again I don't see why they would've changed that since the device is the same as the last one with some upgraded internals.
    Yeah it just makes sense.
    08-05-11 03:45 PM
    It was the Co-CEOs themselves that said to succeed in the "arms race" of today's smartphone market they had to go back to the drawing board. Apologists aside, it's a strange decision to make for a supposedly flagship device. They seem to emphasize the quality of the materials used. I wondered why no-one mentioned the camera quality. For me it's "meh" but it should have AF I think
    08-05-11 03:46 PM
    It was the Co-CEOs themselves that said to succeed in the "arms race" of today's smartphone market they had to go back to the drawing board. Apologists aside, it's a strange decision to make for a supposedly flagship device. They seem to emphasize the quality of the materials used. I wondered why no-one mentioned the camera quality. For me it's "meh" but it should have AF I think
    If you notice in videos they either never mention it or point out that it records in 720p. This is probably because their earlier phones who everyone considers to be vastly outdated even had 5MP, and also because... well, like you said, it's kind of "meh."
    mozzamay likes this.
    08-05-11 03:49 PM
    Just sold my pocket cam so this is one pro for the Torch 2 in my 9900 vs T2 decision. Tried to type on a Galaxy last night and failed miserably. Won't be getting an all touch screen.
    08-05-11 03:49 PM
    Just sold my pocket cam so this is one pro for the Torch 2 in my 9900 vs T2 decision. Tried to type on a Galaxy last night and failed miserably. Won't be getting an all touch screen.
    With you on that one. I don't know what it is about touch screens but, I just don't like them. It was cool at first but, let's be honest the moment you realize you keep making mistakes on the touch screen keypad it really wears on you.
    08-05-11 03:53 PM
    Well don't forget the benefits of having an all focus guys. I think it'll be interesting to see the 720p video recording between the 9900 / 9810.

Also, we don't know what kind of software tricks RIM has included with their all focus software. I personally think the PlayBook takes great videos and pictures. The only thing I miss is flash (which the Bold will have) and taking clear images from up close.

Will it take iPhone 4 quality photos? It might come close!

Video & image playback will look beautiful on the Bold's crystal clear screen though, you can count on that!
    asdfjkandreax likes this.
    08-05-11 04:03 PM
    A camera on a cell phone is not the defining factor (i.e. a camera is not a cell phone's engine in your parlance). C'mon, let's get real here! Yes this is a flagship device, but it's geared to business people first and foremost (at least it seems so, dunno, could be wrong and RIM itself doesn't know who their market is anymore). So the phone's got a camera .... but it doesn't autofocus. Good God! What's happening on this planet? Wars, economic mayhem, no auto-focus on a telephone!
    LOL! Stop, stop, stop! That's too funny. Even more funny than this.
    Guatiao likes this.
    08-05-11 04:05 PM
    autofocus is garbage, completely useless anyway

as said if you want to take good pictures buy a nice compact pocket camera

I had the samsung galaxy s2 for 5 days, maybe best camera phone and still pictures are not even close to a normal camera, even with nokia n8

so if wanna take good vacation pictures just buy a camera, or wait til 2015 maybe
    08-05-11 04:10 PM
    A camera on a cell phone is not the defining factor (i.e. a camera is not a cell phone's engine in your parlance). C'mon, let's get real here! Yes this is a flagship device, but it's geared to business people first and foremost (at least it seems so, dunno, could be wrong and RIM itself doesn't know who their market is anymore). So the phone's got a camera .... but it doesn't autofocus. Good God! What's happening on this planet? Wars, economic mayhem, no auto-focus on a telephone!
    LOL, you put it into perspective with that one orangepit....
    ...I think you NAILED IT with the part I bolded above.

RIM was solidly married to the business world 3 years ago and it was a strong marriage....
    ...Things evolved and RIM opted not to react & while it's still married to the business world.
    ...It's now in some sort of twisted "CUCKOLD" marriage arraingement.
    ...And sits by the bed watching Apple and Droid so all kinds of things ( it can't do ) for it's wife.

Crude, I know but this is the reality of the situation.
    Last edited by pythons; 08-05-11 at 04:57 PM.
    08-05-11 04:13 PM
    With you on that one. I don't know what it is about touch screens but, I just don't like them. It was cool at first but, let's be honest the moment you realize you keep making mistakes on the touch screen keypad it really wears on you.
    I did have 9 wobbly pops before typing on the Galaxy but other touchscreen phones gave me bad results too. Maybe I will try a Droid 3 in the store for s***s and giggles.
    08-05-11 04:20 PM
    autofocus is garbage, completely useless anyway

as said if you want to take good pictures buy a nice compact pocket camera

I had the samsung galaxy s2 for 5 days, maybe best camera phone and still pictures are not even close to a normal camera, even with nokia n8

so if wanna take good vacation pictures just buy a camera, or wait til 2015 maybe
    So if it actually was a feature, auto focus, you'd complain that you want it turned off right ? Since its garbage? Saying something is useless just because you don't have it? Shameful

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-11 04:24 PM
    I'm just saying if you wanna take good pics just buy a camera..... phones are just good for casual photos
    08-05-11 04:41 PM
    I did have 9 wobbly pops before typing on the Galaxy but other touchscreen phones gave me bad results too. Maybe I will try a Droid 3 in the store for s***s and giggles.
    I stopped paying attention to android releases. Too many to keep track. Not sure if they've made any headway with the crappy battery life. That was my biggest dislike with android.
    08-05-11 04:50 PM
    I stopped paying attention to android releases. Too many to keep track. Not sure if they've made any headway with the crappy battery life. That was my biggest dislike with android.
    I've posted pictures in other threads here of my sensation going beyond 24 hours

08-05-11 04:52 PM
    I'm just saying if you wanna take good pics just buy a camera..... phones are just good for casual photos
    That's essentially saying if you wanna take good pics just buy an iphone or Droid....
    ...Again if RIM continues to adopt this attitude they will continue to circle the drain.
    ...Getting closer and closer to the drain every 6 months.

RIM is a Mfg of "Smartphones" - they are NOT in the business of making simple "Go Phone" cell phones.....
    ...If they don't want to be known as the "Go Phone" they had better understand what the premise of a smartphone is.

The following are examples of excellent pictures taken with an old blackberry....
    ...If the new phones meet or exceed that life is good for RIM in that area.
    ...If they don't meet that standard then it will be more of the same.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post6541611
    08-05-11 04:55 PM
    That's essentially saying if you wanna take good pics just buy an iphone or Droid....
    ...Again if RIM continues to adopt this attitude they will continue to circle the drain.
    ...Getting closer and closer to the drain every 6 months.

RIM is a Mfg of "Smartphones" - they are NOT in the business of making simple "Go Phone" cell phones.....
    ...If they don't want to be known as the "Go Phone" they had better understand what the premise of a smartphone is.

The following are examples of excellent pictures taken with an old blackberry....
    ...If the new phones meet or exceed that life is good for RIM in that area.
    ...If they don't meet that standard then it will be more of the same.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post6541611
    Alright, I have to ask. What's with all the ellipses'?
    08-05-11 04:58 PM
    Guys come on... are you really standing up for RIM for this? Can there not be some things where you just say "okay this sucks" instead of absolute BS like "go buy a digital camera". It's a smartphone in 2011... the whole purpose of a smartphone is to do many things efficiently and easily. Take pictures is one of those things. To say that a high-end smartphone doesn't need a great camera in 2011 is just false. clearly there are thinner phones which have autofocus so that's a BS excuse. You guys can act as though everyone is just whining but don't be surprised if it doesn't sell well, because some people just might go ahead and pick a phone with better specs, more apps, software that isn't scheduled to be abandoned, and all at a LOWER PRICE.
    08-05-11 05:07 PM
    Alright, I have to ask. What's with all the ellipses'?
    Lol I was wondering too. I agree with the arguments he makes but reading it is painful.
    08-05-11 05:09 PM
    I dont mind the playbooks pics.

Even the ones without great lighting aren't terrible.

If the cameras are the same ,I think your getting worked up over nothing.

08-05-11 05:24 PM
    Guys come on... are you really standing up for RIM for this? Can there not be some things where you just say "okay this sucks" instead of absolute BS like "go buy a digital camera". It's a smartphone in 2011... the whole purpose of a smartphone is to do many things efficiently and easily. Take pictures is one of those things. To say that a high-end smartphone doesn't need a great camera in 2011 is just false. clearly there are thinner phones which have autofocus so that's a BS excuse. You guys can act as though everyone is just whining but don't be surprised if it doesn't sell well, because some people just might go ahead and pick a phone with better specs, more apps, software that isn't scheduled to be abandoned, and all at a LOWER PRICE.
    It's no worse than putting a phone feature into an mp3 player. Still don't know why that's the "Best Phone Ever". And I like many others on this forum don't care for apps. Too each his own but, why are you on the forums if you don't believe in RIM or BlackBerry? It's a smartphone not a "Do everything device". There is no such thing. Let's go back to the "Best smartphone" that has reception problems if you hold in a common position. That's far worse than a camera because that's a core function of a phone. Or is the phone part of a "Smartphone" not important?
    green_ember and asdfjkandreax like this.
    08-05-11 05:25 PM
    Geez.... what's the problem here? You use a phone to primarily take pictures or make/receive telephone calls??? If you're into photography, there are great pocket-sized digital cameras on the market these days that have DSLR features (aperture settings, exposure control, etc). A phone isn't meant to replace those.

How come people that buy digital cameras don't complain that the camera's phone signal is weak, or that they can't play games or use flash??

I, for one, much prefer having a phone with strong signal, good battery life and above average call quality than worrying about autofocus on a phone with a camera.

Good grief.
    So we can expect great reception, then, with this phone without the autofocus? Ohhhh, good...now I can buy without worry. Btw - how do you know they sacrificed autofocus for better reception?

08-05-11 05:25 PM
    I dont mind the playbooks pics.

Even the ones without great lighting aren't terrible.

If the cameras are the same ,I think your getting worked up over nothing.

I would call those good quality pictures for a non-camera. Thanks for the upload.
    08-05-11 05:31 PM
    I've tried to take a few pictures using my playbook of things far away and the pictures are great! Trying to take some macro shots of a sample at work, the camera just does not focus well so I have to use the Storm. Autofocus is useful! Not necessary, but I've grown to like it.

BUT!!!

Is it just me, cause I noticed that in the 9810 review on the Crackberry main page, the guy clearly says "5 megapixel AUTOFOCUS CAMERA" ???

Was he mistaken?

EDIT: Thanks the Pill_UK for stepping up and telling it like a BOSS! ALL NEW PHONES HAVE AUTOFOCUS

**** the guy who got me worried about this. Scared me a little cause I like taking pictures of my cat up close when I'm sitting down.

http://us.blackberry.com/smartphones...specifications
    Last edited by chiefbroski; 08-05-11 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Phill_UK saved the day....
    08-05-11 05:45 PM
    Is it just me, cause I noticed that in the 9810 review on the Crackberry main page, the guy clearly says "5 megapixel AUTOFOCUS CAMERA" ???

Was he mistaken?
    Nope, he wasn't mistaken.

Looks like the 9810, 9850 and 9860 all have 'continuous auto focus'
    chiefbroski likes this.
    08-05-11 05:49 PM
410 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD