Network 2G Network CDMA 800, 1900 MHz
    GSM 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz 3G Network CDMA 1xEV-DO rev.A
    UMTS 900, 2100 MHz Dimensions Size 115 x 66 x 10.5 mm Weight 130 grams Display Type TFT LCD Capacitive touchscreen Size 2.8 inch Colors & Resolution 16 Million Colors & (480 x 640) Pixels WVGA Pixel Density 287 dpi Input/ User Interface Input QWERTY keyboard (25 key backlit)
    Optical Trackpad
    TouchPad
    Proximity Sensor for Auto turn-off System Properties Operating System BlackBerry OS 7 CPU Qualcomm 8655 Snapdragon 1.2GHz processor
    768MB RAM Storage Capacity Internal Memory 8GB internal storage Memory Expansion micro-SD Card Support for 32GB Browser & Messaging BlackBerry Browser, HTML, RSS
    MMS, SMS, IM, Email, Push Email Camera Still(Rear facing) - 5 Megapixels
    - 2560�1920 pixels
    - 4x Digital zoom
    - Auto Focus - Flash, Image Stabilization, Face Detection,
    - Scene modes, Geo-tagging Secondary(front side) No

Read more: BlackBerry Bold 9930 Full Specifications And Price Details - Gadgetian
    Those are BS specs. The 9900/30 camera does not have auto focus...

Capture with confidence

5 MP camera
    HD video recording (720p)
    4X Digital Zoom
    Flash
    Face detection and Image Stabilization
    Geo-tagging
    Zero shutter lag
    Multiple scene modes

From the BlackBerry website: BlackBerry - Bold Touch Phone - New BlackBerry Bold Touch Screen Phones
    08-05-11 02:28 PM
    we are seeing documentation that the 9900 is going to be $250/$300 WITH a 2 year contract
    ...yeah. Then there is this as well.
    08-05-11 02:30 PM
    Those are BS specs. The 9900/30 camera does not have auto focus...

Capture with confidence

5 MP camera
    HD video recording (720p)
    4X Digital Zoom
    Flash
    Face detection and Image Stabilization
    Geo-tagging
    Zero shutter lag
    Multiple scene modes

From the BlackBerry website: BlackBerry - Bold Touch Phone - New BlackBerry Bold Touch Screen Phones
    Correct. The 9900/9930 does not have auto focus, it has an all focus camera(EDOF).
    08-05-11 02:36 PM
    I am holding a 9900 in my hand and it does NOT have AF. BUT it focuses quite well down to a few inches to infinity! Good enough for a phone!

If this will not do you got to move on as it will not change no matter how much crying!
    08-05-11 02:38 PM
    $300 /w 2 year contract, sporting a non autofocus camera, something that's been a standard for years, iphone 5 launching very soon @ $200, as well as dozens of androids, how can this even compete? it doesn't compete in features OR pricing... it seems like it's always something. i can't remember a bb model being released where i didn't think, "if only it'd had this it'd be perfect" there's always something holding every model back from breaking through. at this point i think people should really just look forward to QNX and forget about BBOS devices, news keeps getting worse regarding the upcoming launches.
    Buzz_Dengue and kevinnugent like this.
    08-05-11 02:40 PM
    Here are some old pics I took with my berry....
    ...If the 9930 takes shots as good as my old berry I will be happy with it.
    Forget the phone. Nice camaro. What year is it?
    08-05-11 02:46 PM
    Good lord. You people make it sound as if the phone won't be able to take photos at all without auto-focus...

"How can this hope to compete!?"? Get real.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    asherwiin and Zizzzzy like this.
    08-05-11 02:49 PM
    A phone is primarily a phone, yes. But I'd appreciate a great camera for the moments you wish to snap and share with a loved one and you don't have your digital camera with you. Also, with Social apps taking off right now people are using phone cameras to share more photos with one another.

Get moving with the times.
    If part of your work requires that you take pictures often it should be 101 stuff....
    ...If we are talking "smart phones".
    08-05-11 02:51 PM
    If part of your work requires that you take pictures often it should be 101 stuff....
    ...If we are talking "smart phones".
    If your work requires you to take pictures, why the **** would you be using a camera phone?
    mozzamay likes this.
    08-05-11 02:57 PM
    I doubt most consumers out there aren't even going to notice it's an EDOF and not an auto-focus camera. Other than some of us in here, who's really going to care as long as the pictures are decent...
    08-05-11 02:59 PM
    Forget the phone. Nice camaro. What year is it?
    LOL, it's a 2002 Z-28 - the last of the old body styles.....
    ...And it ONLY has 38k on it mostly living in my garage.
    08-05-11 03:00 PM
    LOL, it's a 2002 Z-28 - the last of the old body styles.....
    ...And it ONLY has 38k on it mostly living in my garage.
    I like the older bodystyle over the new. That and you have good taste in color that I highly approve of. See too many around my area that are gold or green. . . too each his own I guess.
    08-05-11 03:08 PM
    So in a world where it's all about iOS, Android, HTC, Motorola and the likes, how can RIM possibly justify sacrificing such a BASIC feature for such a lame reason? I could understand if the Bold 9900 was THE slimmest smartphone on the market, but it isn't. So when a dumbphone from 2009 has an auto-focus camera, and a flagship smartphone from a struggling company in 2011 doesn't, yeah that's kind of hard to swallow whether I need an AF camera or not.
    This whole thread & dicussion should have been how awesome the 1080p capabilities were of the 12 to 20 (pick a beefy number here) megapixel AF camera in the new phones... how the micro-HDMI output opened many new possibilities and options for the user...

The market is demanding device convergence not de-evolution... nice entropic move whoever signed-off on this marketing manuever...
    asdfjkandreax and bdad14 like this.
    08-05-11 03:17 PM
    Good lord. You people make it sound as if the phone won't be able to take photos at all without auto-focus...

"How can this hope to compete!?"? Get real.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    If RIM has any hope to compete it will have to at least choose what it wants to do AS GOOD ( if not better )...
    ...Than the other smartphone Mfg's.

Perhaps the 9900 can take as detailed a picture as my Bold 9650 and if that ends up being the case - more power to RIM.....
    ...If it turns out that the 9930 / 00 takes a lesser quality shot due to the lack of AF.
    ...It's simply another example of why RIM is sitting where it currently is.
    ...Back of the bus.
    Buzz_Dengue likes this.
    08-05-11 03:19 PM
    For those that MUST have an auto focus camera with their new BlackBerry, I suggest you look at the 9810. I believe they carried over the same or similar camera as the 9800 but added the HD video support. It makes sense since the phone is thicker and was already designed to support that camera.

I know some of the spec sheets have been confusing/misleading but there's no denying it says 5.0 MP AUTO FOCUS right on the back.

It may not have been only about a cost cut on the 99xx but also to keep the design thinner. Don't judge against the all focus cameras so soon. There are pros/cons for both I think.
    08-05-11 03:21 PM
    Geez.... what's the problem here? You use a phone to primarily take pictures or make/receive telephone calls??? If you're into photography, there are great pocket-sized digital cameras on the market these days that have DSLR features (aperture settings, exposure control, etc). A phone isn't meant to replace those.

How come people that buy digital cameras don't complain that the camera's phone signal is weak, or that they can't play games or use flash??

I, for one, much prefer having a phone with strong signal, good battery life and above average call quality than worrying about autofocus on a phone with a camera.

Good grief.
    Because Ferrari's don't come equipped with turbo 4 cylinder engines, that's why.

It's the freaking flagship device. The Bold 9700 and 9780, Curve 8900 and Torch 9800 ALL have autofocus cameras.

HUGE step backwards.
    08-05-11 03:23 PM
    For those that MUST have an auto focus camera with their new BlackBerry, I suggest you look at the 9810. I believe they carried over the same or similar camera as the 9800 but added the HD video support. It makes sense since the phone is thicker and was already designed to support that camera.

I know some of the spec sheets have been confusing/misleading but there's no denying it says 5.0 MP AUTO FOCUS right on the back.

It may not have been only about a cost cut on the 99xx but also to keep the design thinner. Don't judge against the all focus cameras so soon. There are pros/cons for both I think.
    Well that does end that arguement doesn't it?

Can't say I'd jump companies for a camera. Never used a torch either so I'm not sure I'd like the keypad. Hearing the 9900/9930 has a keypad to match or possibly surpass one of the best is hard to pass up.
    08-05-11 03:25 PM
    I doubt most consumers out there aren't even going to notice it's an EDOF and not an auto-focus camera. Other than some of us in here, who's really going to care as long as the pictures are decent...
    Hahahahahahaha, yes they will, when the salesperson points out that it doesn't have it. Most people are sheep.

Baaaa-aaaa-aaaa.
    Zizzzzy likes this.
    08-05-11 03:26 PM
    Basically like katiepea said; this phone is essentially selling weaker specs for more money. I hate to say it, but the more I've heard about BlackBerry since being on this site, the less I care to actually purchase one - and this is coming from someone who has/had a pretty serious love for BlackBerry (for whatever reason).

I know specs aren't everything, but at this point in the 'smartphone wars' you absolutely cannot solely rely on fanboy (and waning corporate) sales like the relatively lackluster new BB7 phones are going to have to do until the price is lowered to around $150, if not less. The percentage of people who are looking to buy a new BlackBerry over iPhones and Android-powered phones is in the single digits; I don't think that releasing a phone with yesteryears specs and standard '09 features missing is going to plug any holes in the RIM ship.

The analysts who are saying RIM is doomed and won't live to see 2013 might not be too far off if BB7 can't sooth the storm enough for QNX to be released. Even if it does, will interest in BlackBerry be any more than 6% of RIM's target market like it is right now? Will BlackBerry be relevant enough for most consumers to even understand BlackBerry underwent a massive overhaul?
    reeneebob likes this.
    08-05-11 03:27 PM
    If your work requires you to take pictures, why the **** would you be using a camera phone?
    Device convergence...
    One piece of equipment to accomplish multiple business/personal needs...
    I want to verify I have captured the desired image and crop, if needed...
    I want to email the photo quickly and move on with business...
    I want to post the photo in a timely manner to a forum...

Your phone doesn't have a camera?
    pipotobe and Tre Lawrence like this.
    08-05-11 03:29 PM
    Hahahahahahaha, yes they will, when the salesperson points out that it doesn't have it. Most people are sheep.

Baaaa-aaaa-aaaa.
    Lol, that's assuming the salespeople even have any knowledge on what they're selling.
    08-05-11 03:34 PM
    Well that does end that arguement doesn't it?

Can't say I'd jump companies for a camera. Never used a torch either so I'm not sure I'd like the keypad. Hearing the 9900/9930 has a keypad to match or possibly surpass one of the best is hard to pass up.
    Well my point is that the 9810 has autofocus but the 99xx/9850/9860 do not. I don't know if anyone was arguing against the 9810 having it.
    08-05-11 03:35 PM
    That's like saying who the F*&K would want to use "check deposit" on their phone?
    ...Why not just stand in line @ the bank?

I'll be frank and say you are demonstrating the exact attitude that's the reason RIM is rolling around in a soiled bed...
    ...The reason why people would want to use a phone to do that is because it makes their "life easier".
    ...You realize that's the concept of a "smartphone", right?

Why pack a camera around if my phone can do the same job for what I need out of it?
    ...Not everyone who needs to take pictures as part of their job works for National Geographic lol.
    08-05-11 03:39 PM
    Basically like katiepea said; this phone is essentially selling weaker specs for more money. I hate to say it, but the more I've heard about BlackBerry since being on this site, the less I care to actually purchase one - and this is coming from someone who has/had a pretty serious love for BlackBerry (for whatever reason).

I know specs aren't everything, but at this point in the 'smartphone wars' you absolutely cannot solely rely on fanboy (and waning corporate) sales like the relatively lackluster new BB7 phones are going to have to do until the price is lowered to around $150, if not less. The percentage of people who are looking to buy a new BlackBerry over iPhones and Android-powered phones is in the single digits; I don't think that releasing a phone with yesteryears specs and standard '09 features missing is going to plug any holes in the RIM ship.

The analysts who are saying RIM is doomed and won't live to see 2013 might not be too far off if BB7 can't sooth the storm enough for QNX to be released. Even if it does, will interest in BlackBerry be any more than 6% of RIM's target market like it is right now? Will BlackBerry be relevant enough for most consumers to even understand BlackBerry underwent a massive overhaul?
    That would be me thank you.

The new blackberries look like the step in the right direction. They do need to pick up speed to stay in the smartphone war but, there are alot of blackberry users. There are companies that use blackberries exclusively because of their security that apple and android can't compare. Unless, apple and android can match that I don't think RIM is going anywhere.
    08-05-11 03:41 PM
    Well my point is that the 9810 has autofocus but the 99xx/9850/9860 do not. I don't know if anyone was arguing against the 9810 having it.
    The 9850/60 apparently does have auto focus like the 9810...
    BlackBerry - BlackBerry Torch 9850 & Torch 9860 - BlackBerry 9850 - BlackBerry 9860 - US

Capture life like a pro

5MP camera
    720p HD video recording
    Flash
    Continuous auto focus
    Face detection
    Image Stabilization
    Geo-tagging
    4X digital zoom (still images only)
    Zero shutter lag
    08-05-11 03:42 PM
410 1234 ...