Hello

I just noticed that I can't send PIN messages on my bold 9780 running latest OS

when I open Messages App : Menu - compose other - I can't find the Compose PIN option

only 4 options :
    Compose Text Message
    BBM
    Instant Message
    Social Feeds Post

what should I do ?
    07-22-12 05:42 AM
    what should I do ?
    Try a battery pull and the Compose PIN option might return... or downgrade your OS to below .706 as this is a known issue on the newer versions.
    07-22-12 06:58 AM
    You can downgrade to .722 as well. I'm running this build and haven't had this issue.

Seems like .706 and .723 are the builds that lost the functionality.
    07-22-12 02:56 PM
    It's a strange and very random bug.
    I've been using Voda UK's .706 since last December, and can honestly say I've never once lost the Compose PIN option.
    07-22-12 04:13 PM
    It's a strange and very random bug.
    I've been using Voda UK's .706 since last December, and can honestly say I've never once lost the Compose PIN option.
    How do carriers go about customizing their OS releases? It can't just be a simple vendor.xml, right? RIM and Tmo claimed I was having service book and VVM problems because I wasn't running a Tmo build, and this got me thinking about OS customization.

I was thinking that since everyone's running .723 from basically one carrier, maybe they all lost PIN messaging because that one carrier decided to remove it. Same would go for non-Voda .706, I guess.
    07-22-12 08:12 PM
    How do carriers go about customizing their OS releases? It can't just be a simple vendor.xml, right? RIM and Tmo claimed I was having service book and VVM problems because I wasn't running a Tmo build, and this got me thinking about OS customization.
    Call centre staff always have a list of BS reasons to fall back on when they have run out of script. Most of the time the call centre staff barely know what a phone is, they are just reading from a set script. And that script is designed to blame you the user when they run out of answers. Ever noticed how when you keep calling back and get different people you get a different set of answers?
    I was thinking that since everyone's running .723 from basically one carrier, maybe they all lost PIN messaging because that one carrier decided to remove it. Same would go for non-Voda .706, I guess.
    I think you will find the PIN is there initially, and then disappears at random. If a carrier was wanting to remove it - it would be gone all the time.

I don't pretend to be an expert, but RIM have always designed the OS releases to be the same for everyone apart from that vendor.xml file. Makes customisations simpler for the carriers. Makes support cheaper for RIM.
    07-23-12 01:55 PM
    Call centre staff always have a list of BS reasons to fall back on when they have run out of script. Most of the time the call centre staff barely know what a phone is, they are just reading from a set script. And that script is designed to blame you the user when they run out of answers. Ever noticed how when you keep calling back and get different people you get a different set of answers?
    I think you will find the PIN is there initially, and then disappears at random. If a carrier was wanting to remove it - it would be gone all the time.

I don't pretend to be an expert, but RIM have always designed the OS releases to be the same for everyone apart from that vendor.xml file. Makes customisations simpler for the carriers. Makes support cheaper for RIM.
    See, except it was RIM CS as well that claimed my phone issues were because of a non-carrier OS. I definitely expected this answer from my carrier, but when RIM said the same, it made me think.

Personally I think there is more to "official releases" than just a vendor.xml. I'm not a 100% sure when I say this, but don't certain OS7 builds work well in circumventing carrier tethering blocks while others don't?

You do bring up a good point regarding disappearing PIN messages. I forgot that it does show up initially and then disappears.
    07-23-12 02:05 PM
    See, except it was RIM CS as well that claimed my phone issues were because of a non-carrier OS. I definitely expected this answer from my carrier, but when RIM said the same, it made me think.
    A call centre is a call centre. Quality levels vary a huge amount. Quality call centre staff are expensive, so it is cheaper to use someone with a script. I wasn't being specific to the carriers - I was more being specific to the call centres. Through my job I have to deal with all the major UK ISPs, Phone Companies and other call centres. And it is the worst part of my job with the cheaper call centres just blatantly telling lies to you as they assume you don't know the subject... With RIMs current cashflow problems I can't seem them paying top dollar for their call centres at the moment.

Personally I think there is more to "official releases" than just a vendor.xml. I'm not a 100% sure when I say this, but don't certain OS7 builds work well in circumventing carrier tethering blocks while others don't?
    There are enough OS hackers around that can confirm or deny this. Pretty sure they just swap parts between OS versions without caring.

I think the .666 I am running originally came from Virgin Mobile in Canada

I do notice that the three editions of .668 I have on my hard drive have some huge size differences between them. I guess that is from the language packs, but I could be wrong.

You do bring up a good point regarding disappearing PIN messages. I forgot that it does show up initially and then disappears.
    Glad to be of help. I may not run the .7xx OS versions, but I do pay attention.
    07-23-12 02:17 PM
    I find the option only disappears if I'm traveling around (50 mile radius) and move into a coverage area where there is almost no signal and the signal drops away. (Sometimes it happens, under the aforementioned circumstances, if I see weird signal behavior like 1XEV dropping to just EV.) If I do a battery pull, the option comes back; it's rarely not there after a battery pull. It also rarely disappears in my home territory (where I do a battery pull); it disappears if signal is extremely poor during my travels 30-50 miles from home. At that point, nothing except a battery pull will bring it back. The problem must have something to do with the way the device is recognized on the mobile network or on BIS. When signal drops in tower territory away from where the device was restarted something goes missing which makes the compose pin feature go missing. If these conditions are not present (I don't travel to reduced coverage areas), the compose pin feature remains for days or weeks even.
    11-05-13 08:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD