Hello, first post because I have not owned a BB previously.

Bought a used Bold9900 just to play with and understand the attraction (as a possible start to serious newer version ownership) and because I have always found the hardware keyboard fascinating as to "can I use it sensibly"?

Updated to OS v7 via BBSAK (only way I could find to do it) and inserted SIM card. Strong signal (5 bars) and visibility of 3G network (Vodafone in this case).

When I try to use the built in Web Browser on Mobile Data it tells me that data connection is not active (but it is switched on).

Probably a dimwit question but I haven't found a SIMPLE answer yet - to use the built in web browser simply to access the internet over the mobile data connection (rather than WiFi where it works fine) do I need to subscribe to some form of BB Service (£5 per month with Vodafone PAYG) or am I missing something vital? I don't (in the short term) want to use BB messenger etc. so to me it feels like I shouldn't need the BB service.

If anyone can provide a quick Yes / No answer (maybe with a bit of why this is the case) I should be grateful

Thanks, Frank
    03-23-18 12:49 PM
    Yes you need a form of BlackBerry Service with you Data Plan.... BlackBerry Internet Service or just BIS.
    03-23-18 01:45 PM
    Yes, you're going to need BIS activated to get the best out of your 9900, use the native browser, Email client etc. There are complex workarounds (*see link below) but BIS will let you use the 9900 as BlackBerry intended.
    In my opinion, you really shouldn't have to pay extra. Switch to giffgaff where BIS is a free add-on to all their PAYG data plans. If you're interested send me a PM and I'll give you an introductory, cash credit weblink.

Why do you need BIS?! Because a lot of the data is pushed through BlackBerry servers. There are benefits, speed and data compression. The 9900 literally sips data!

*/blackberry-bold-series-f235/guide-blackberry-os-7-maybe-6-without-bis-996682/
    03-24-18 04:32 AM
    As above, generally gotta have BIS for mobile data services. There are work arounds but likely more trouble than value, for most, at this point. ??. 9900 makes a great typing and data entry platform without data services but...

I don't know the slightest thing about Vodafone or if they even provide BIS still.? Sounds like MushroomDaddy has a good offer there, imo. BIS on my carrier appears to be "free". BUT I could justify paying quite a bit for it because its data compression let's me purchase a smaller data plan. I listen to TuneIn radio quite a LOT. Virtually every minute I'm driving. Especially cross country. To my best recollection, I've NEVER exceeded 1GB/mo on my 9930. Likewise, I've NEVER used less than 2GB on my Classic nor less than 3GB on my K1 (typically about 5GB of "phantom" data on that one... lol). I do very little streaming on either. 99 does 99% of streaming, in my case. If 99 were my only phone, i'd purchase a 1 GB plan in a heart beat! Thanks to BIS, afaik.
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    03-24-18 05:44 AM
    Thanks to all the people who posted in response. For information I was trying Vodafone here in the UK because I have an old PAYG SIM with some credit on it. Mushroom_Daddy - I do also have a GiffGaff PAYG SIM so I will try that and look at getting the free BIS service on it.

All 3 posters answered my question in a far better way than the tech Gurus at Vodafone so thanks again to you all.

Frank
    idssteve likes this.
    03-24-18 01:27 PM
    Mushroom_Daddy - I do also have a GiffGaff PAYG SIM so I will try that and look at getting the free BIS service on it.

You should be able to activate BlackBerry services (BIS) from the GiffGaff dashboard. Good luck!
    03-24-18 02:54 PM
    Hi Mushroom_daddy, I put my giffgaff SIM card in and immediatley it showed a 3G service and it connected to the mobile data feed allowing access to the internet using the mobile data signal - which is the result I wanted so thanks for that.

The giffgaff website does state:

"When you are using a BlackBerry on giffgaff, you can make calls and send texts whatever the credit or goodybag you choose. However, to use BlackBerry Services such as BlackBerry Messenger, you will need an active goodybag with BlackBerry Services turned ON.

After purchasing a goodybag, go to My giffgaff. In the My profile and settings section you'll be able to activate BlackBerry Services. Tick the box next to Switch on BlackBerry Services and then press save."

I have NOT purchased a goodybag but my internet access works and I can make calls and send texts.

As for sipping data, I accessed 3 or 4 web pages to check the operations and then switched the handset off and the cost of this (total 7MB of data) is 35p (or about 50 US cents) so this is not something that I will be doing on a regular basis. I know the goodybags are the right way yo go for internet usage but they are a monthly option (I believe) and this is not my main SIM card / handset.

Anyway, once again thanks to everyone who responded to this post. I still do NOT understand why the Vodafone SIM card did not work (why should they be any different for simple use and NOT BBIS etc. I do not know) but t least it proves that the device is fully functional and I have not bought an absolute lemon! I can practice with the keyboard and see if I like it enough to consider moving to a current BB handset.

Frank
    03-25-18 02:24 AM
    Hi Mushroom_daddy, I put my giffgaff SIM card in and immediatley it showed a 3G service and it connected to the mobile data feed allowing access to the internet using the mobile data signal - which is the result I wanted so thanks for that.

The giffgaff website does state:

"When you are using a BlackBerry on giffgaff, you can make calls and send texts whatever the credit or goodybag you choose. However, to use BlackBerry Services such as BlackBerry Messenger, you will need an active goodybag with BlackBerry Services turned ON.

After purchasing a goodybag, go to My giffgaff. In the My profile and settings section you'll be able to activate BlackBerry Services. Tick the box next to Switch on BlackBerry Services and then press save."

I have NOT purchased a goodybag but my internet access works and I can make calls and send texts.

As for sipping data, I accessed 3 or 4 web pages to check the operations and then switched the handset off and the cost of this (total 7MB of data) is 35p (or about 50 US cents) so this is not something that I will be doing on a regular basis. I know the goodybags are the right way yo go for internet usage but they are a monthly option (I believe) and this is not my main SIM card / handset.
    Yes, monthly goodybags are the way to get the best out of your 9900 with BIS on GiffGaff. I usually buy the £10 bag, which currently gives 3GB of data (plus 500min calls & unlimited SMS), just so that I have the option of using my more data hungry Q10 or KEYone, which I rarely do.
    I regularly get messages from GiffGaff telling me I could downsize my goodybag (to £5) and save money. Most months I'm left with more than 2.9GB when using my 9900, and just in case there's any doubt ... my Bold gets worked hard!
    03-25-18 03:49 AM
    Glad that you have it working.
    I used an old Bold from Eplus Germany a few years ago and was able to access internet without BIS on a local network here. No BBM and BIS email of course. But the Bold was unlocked and factory reset to remove any IT policy which might have come with it. So I guess it depends on the networks.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-18 09:24 AM