Hello 9790 users. I just wanted to konw if the touchscreen feature can be turned off ?
    11-19-12 11:11 AM
    Not natively, no.
    11-19-12 12:50 PM
    Why would you want to?!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790
    11-22-12 08:04 PM
    sure it can.

it's called 'refraining yourself from touch screen' button.

lol. joke aside. no. u can't.
    but just out of curiosity, why do u want if off?
    was it not the most convenient to use both to accelerate your speed on using your device?
    get used to it.

Sent from my unsliding slider BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    11-22-12 08:26 PM
    It might have been a good idea to have an option to disable the touchscreen so only the track pad and buttons work and have a display that's not interactive.
    11-22-12 11:25 PM
    I�m actually thinking about this since i got my 9790. Although the touchscreen is quite useful in some situations, I use the trackpad 90% of the time to be honest.
    Turning the touch sensors off would boost battery life A LOT for sure.

On the other hand: I would use this feature only if it came from RIM directly. I won�t let a 3rd party app screw around with my BlackBerry�s display!
    11-23-12 12:37 PM
    Actually I would LOVE to be able to toggle the touch screen OFF/ON. Or I wish it did so automatically when a call is in progress and the phone senses that you have it held to your ears or face.

Too often my ears would touch the screen and open up all sorts of apps and stuff.

I've ended calls to find that my facebook, maps, poynt, browser, calendar have all been opened and in use thus killing the battery and also risking me sending information I most likely would not want sent or processed.

I believe my fiance's android phone toggles the touch screen off or limits what can be touched or opened accidentally when it senses a call is in progress and the device it at the head/ears.

Also the are times I find that when I ONLY need to use the keypad or trackpad the touchscreen just gets in the way-especially when all you want to do is pick it up or put the phone down.

That said, I also which there was an auto lock (I don't mean auto sleep) feature as well. I'm suprised the 9790 doesn't (seem to) have this whereas the 9700/9780 did have an autolock function
    11-26-12 02:07 PM
    Actually I would LOVE to be able to toggle the touch screen OFF/ON. Or I wish it did so automatically when a call is in progress and the phone senses that you have it held to your ears or face.
    It does, that's the proximity sensor... and yours is obviously broken.
    11-26-12 02:37 PM
    It does, that's the proximity sensor... and yours is obviously broken.
    The what? please explain how that works? because where I have my sensor there is a little red LED lamp in there that flickers when the phone is dialing out. Otherwise it is just a hidden hole next to the main LED.

Can you access the sensor controls thru the OPTIONS?
    11-26-12 08:40 PM
    The what? please explain how that works? because where I have my sensor there is a little red LED lamp in there that flickers when the phone is dialing out. Otherwise it is just a hidden hole next to the main LED.

Can you access the sensor controls thru the OPTIONS?
    The proximity sensor. It does what it says on the tin... detects proximity to your face when in a call, and kills the screen to prevent accidental touch operation.
    There is no access to this piece of hardware through the software.
    11-27-12 06:50 AM
    The proximity sensor. It does what it says on the tin... detects proximity to your face when in a call, and kills the screen to prevent accidental touch operation.
    There is no access to this piece of hardware through the software.
    Yeah I got it. I figured it out. Don't know what I did but it works perfectly now.

Thanks PhiLL!
    11-27-12 10:49 PM
    "I've ended calls to find that my facebook, maps, poynt, browser, calendar have all been opened and in use"

No way. You would have to press the "back" physical button and confirm the action before getting back to the homescreen. Then your ear or face would have to press each app button to launch the app AND the END CALL button to get back to the homescreen to open the next app. Or your face might be pressing and holding the physical menu button to switch to the homescreen, only to open each app again... And that's assuming the proximity sensor isn't getting in the way of all these face gestures.
    You're either making up to smear the product or your phone was seriously messed up. Maybe you were growing some mean movember facial hair and it kept poking your buttons and swiping your screen and keyboard.. Either way, I pity your smartphone.
    emmalouise1293 likes this.
    11-29-12 06:32 PM
    It can't be turned off. At first I thought maybe it can be turned off, but no it cannot. When the weather is windy and it controls the touch screen instantly, you have to set to the minimum touch screen sensitivity for the phone. Also a BB 9790 Bi-fold casing can help cover up the wind and prevent it. There are many ways to maintain the touch screen. I myself enjoy the touch screen system rather than the ones that is not.
    11-30-12 02:08 AM
    my proximity sensor wasn't working. I guess you failed to read my entire story!

"I've ended calls to find that my facebook, maps, poynt, browser, calendar have all been opened and in use"

No way. You would have to press the "back" physical button and confirm the action before getting back to the homescreen. Then your ear or face would have to press each app button to launch the app AND the END CALL button to get back to the homescreen to open the next app. Or your face might be pressing and holding the physical menu button to switch to the homescreen, only to open each app again... And that's assuming the proximity sensor isn't getting in the way of all these face gestures.
    You're either making up to smear the product or your phone was seriously messed up. Maybe you were growing some mean movember facial hair and it kept poking your buttons and swiping your screen and keyboard.. Either way, I pity your smartphone.
    11-30-12 02:47 AM
    my proximity sensor wasn't working. I guess you failed to read my entire story!
    K-FOS is saying that in order for that to happen you'd have to be accidently clicking the back and menu buttons at just the right time (not the call or end buttons, as that'd affect the call and would be noticeable).

I think detailed steps as to how to reproduce this behavior is needed, because my understanding is that if your proximity sensor failed, then the worst that can happen is that you either switch to speaker mode, mute your microphone, place the person on hold, or start a three way call. All of which you'd immediately notice before the call ends.

Whatever causes your situation is most likely unrelated, such as a rogue app launching things at random.
    12-08-12 01:13 AM
    Hi!

I've opened my BB 9790 (3 screws), placed 1cm scotch tape over the 8 pins that connect the touchscreen.
    I'm, happy now .
    I can provide instructions if needed.

Thanks!
    cinaski33 likes this.
    12-18-12 03:10 PM
    yes please!!! got the same problem on my gf 9790, she always put me on hold and makes a 3 ways call... that's bad. I can try your way then...
    is it any difficult?
    12-19-12 09:00 AM
    Happy new year!
    Sorry for the delay.
    No, it's not difficult.. you can watch it here.
    It's not my movie . You'll have to disassemble the top cover only. After you do that, at 1:30 time( video) freeze the image and you'll be able to see(after you remove the cover) on the top side of the phone
    one or two pairs of pins ( 4 or 8). From a scotch tape trim a piece that will cover those pins. Slide the cover back ( don't put the screw yet) check if the touchscreen is disabled and the proximity sensor is working properly. If both are working the way you want them .. put the screws and you're done. Enjoy! ( i know i am )
    01-02-13 05:44 AM
    Hi
    thanks for helping on how to "turn off" the "touch" element of the touch screen
    The video illustrates how to get to inside the phone
    Would be great if you could share a few photos of where to put the tape
    - rather safe than sorry -

Cheers
    01-02-13 12:02 PM
    Hope it helps. You can put two small pieces of sticky tape or a larger one that can cover both pin pairs.

Can the touchscreen be turned off ?-blckberry9790_touchscreen.jpg

the tape should block contact with the digitizer connector.
    Can the touchscreen be turned off ?-blackberry_9790_bold_display_glas-_aanraakscherm_zwart_onderdeel_displ_1.png
    Last edited by theknic; 01-04-13 at 10:47 AM.
    01-04-13 10:23 AM
    Thank you dear,I did the same with my mobile but I found my mobile shutdown completely when I touch proximity sensor during call.
    Please help me to rectify
    07-21-13 12:20 AM