I guess this question goes for any BB. My sister live in Panama city Panama Her bold was stolen five days after she got it. not insure. provider is Cable and Wireless of Panama. I was wondering if there is any way to track the stolen BB once it goes live and and the thief start using messaging text email etc. it was probably white collar thief happen while she was giving some conference job related. Panama is small country and only cable and wireless and movistar are the providers but the PIN is exclusive for each BB
    Just wondering?
    thanks for the feedback
    06-27-09 12:06 PM
    If she reports it stolen, the carrier will disable it and the thief won't be able to use it. If she doesn't, she'll be getting the bill for his usage. She should report it stolen immediately.
    06-27-09 12:23 PM
    The PIN can only be blocked by RIM, the carrier can refuse to activate it on their own network. However any unlocked device can be used on other networks (GSM that is)
    06-27-09 12:26 PM
    most carriers can block iemi numbers though
    06-27-09 12:28 PM
    Yes. If an IMEI is blocked then it can't be used on any carrier I believe.
    06-27-09 12:29 PM
    If she reports it stolen, the carrier will disable it and the thief won't be able to use it. If she doesn't, she'll be getting the bill for his usage. She should report it stolen immediately.

Yes she reported and the police work is all done. my question is more of a Richard the detective ( the site block mr tracy nickname)Tracy type. PIN are unique numbers. I was wondering if there is a way that using the PIN once the phone goes life any text, email etc will have to go through Rim and then the provider . if there is any way via Rim to find where is the phone located geographically
    06-27-09 12:37 PM
    that should be possible. but not to be mean or anything but imagine the hundreds of people claiming their blackberry lost or stolen. i dont think they will go out of their way just to track each and everyone's blackberry.
    maybe if your special enough then maybe they would fund and search your stolen blackberry.
    all in all, i dont think they care if it gets stolen. besides if you think about it, what would you do if you were the owner of the company. would you search for your customer's phone or would you rather leave it and let him/her buy another one?
    which one would make more profit?

well goodluck!
    06-27-09 12:46 PM
    Yes she reported and the police work is all done. my question is more of a Richard the detective ( the site block mr tracy nickname)Tracy type. PIN are unique numbers. I was wondering if there is a way that using the PIN once the phone goes life any text, email etc will have to go through Rim and then the provider . if there is any way via Rim to find where is the phone located geographically
    wasnt there an app that tracks where you've been to? i was kinda reading on that a few days ago.
    06-27-09 12:48 PM
    Nothing would happen without a court order, and even then RIM is in Canada, and they do not have to do what another country asks. You wont get it back almost certainly, and they wont track it, again almost certainly.
    06-27-09 12:48 PM
    wasnt there an app that tracks where you've been to? i was kinda reading on that a few days ago.
    Smrtguard and Roblock, but they need to be installed before it's stolen
    Last edited by rjbsec; 06-27-09 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Spelling!
    06-27-09 01:48 PM
    Even if they tracked it - it's more than likely that the person who stole it sold it to some unsuspecting individual who has no clue it was stolen.
    06-27-09 03:23 PM
    And those applications can be removed.
    06-27-09 03:25 PM
    And those applications can be removed.
    Sure, but if you are quick then you can remotely wipe the phone or lock it ... and with Roblock, lock it and make it sound off like a patrol car siren - disconcerting for someone walking down the street with it!
    06-27-09 04:05 PM
    i've read this entire thread, and i just lost my 8900 at sobeys yesterday, basicly it seems theres nothing you can do but hope the person who "found" it decides to give it back or turn it in to a rogers store or something. but has anyone figured out if that google friends tracking app works on blackberry? because that would be great you lose your phone or its stolen have your friend track it for you then just run up with five mans on whoevers got it!
    06-28-09 07:48 AM
    If you would install smrtguard, then yes possibly. But you would have to wipe/track almost immediately after the phone was stolen. Best bet is to get insurance for your phone.
    06-28-09 07:56 AM
    If the battery is removed or the phone is wiped (and including third party apps) smartguard and Roblock are useless
    06-28-09 07:59 AM
    If the battery is removed or the phone is wiped (and including third party apps) smartguard and Roblock are useless
    For the phone to be useable the battery would have to be replaced at some stage and as long as Roblock is used promptly will it not make it difficult for the phone to be wiped - will it not enable the owner to wipe it if he wishes or to activate lock & siren?
    06-28-09 09:06 AM
    I guess this question goes for any BB. My sister live in Panama city Panama Her bold was stolen five days after she got it. not insure. provider is Cable and Wireless of Panama. I was wondering if there is any way to track the stolen BB once it goes live and and the thief start using messaging text email etc. it was probably white collar thief happen while she was giving some conference job related. Panama is small country and only cable and wireless and movistar are the providers but the PIN is exclusive for each BB
    Just wondering?
    thanks for the feedback
    Just an idea contact local pawn shops. I found mine that way.
    06-28-09 09:31 AM
    For the phone to be useable the battery would have to be replaced at some stage and as long as Roblock is used promptly will it not make it difficult for the phone to be wiped - will it not enable the owner to wipe it if he wishes or to activate lock & siren?
    The wipe isnt the issue, as it should be password protected anyway. Once the app is removed there is no tracking, no way to get it back.
    06-28-09 09:40 AM
    The wipe isnt the issue, as it should be password protected anyway. Once the app is removed there is no tracking, no way to get it back.
    But as in home security, lock doors & windows and set the alarm and it makes things more difficult for a thief - better than just relying on insurance.
    06-28-09 09:56 AM
    Does having it locked really help in this situation?
    06-28-09 10:11 AM
    mi nuh u tell mi . wat abou a 8520
    04-23-13 04:59 AM
    my fone was in the care of an acquintance yesterdaywhen it went missing. i no longer have the imei number, are there any alternatives to tracing it?? for example using the bbm pin
    08-22-13 06:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD